The Official Acaeum Top 30 adventures of all time
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:07 pm 

Okay, the Dungeon Magazine 30 greatest adventures of all time thread got me thinking. Let's compile our own Official Acaeum version of the Top 30 adventures of all time.  I know that we picked our Top 10 adventure awhile back, but lets make this official like.  There only 3 rules to this list:

1) Everyone gets to pick his/her own Top 20 modules. Anymore than twenty will not be counted.

2) It has to be a AD&D or D&D product(No CoC, Traveller, etc.). the edition of the module or the company producing it does not matter.  It can be the first module ever by Wee Warriors Palace of the Vampire Queen all the way through WotC recent release of Return to Castle Ravenloft.

3) It cannot be a compilation super module, with the exception of T1-4, becuase of the fact that T2-4 were never released individually. In other words: NO super module cop outs, so that you can cover the entire A series rather than having to select A1, A2, A3, &/or A4.  If I see that someone lists the super module "Realms of Horror" S1-4, then you are automatically disqualified from participating. :twisted:

After a week to ten days, I will compile all the data posted on this thread and based on a weight based point system, I will come up with the finally tally. The weight based system will be 20 points for a first place vote and 1 point for a twentieth place vote. Maybe after the list is compiled, Foul can find a place on the site to list it.  :D  Please compile your list in the following format:

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)
16.)
17.)
18.)
19.)
20.)

Additionaly, feel free to add any comentary on any and/or all your selctions explaining why this is on your list. This is not a requirement, but to make things more interesting don't hesitate to add it. Please just make sure that if you do add commentary that you leave enough seperation between your selections so that it is easily discernable for me to tabulate the total score.  I just came up with this idea off the top of my head right now, so I am not sure what my list is going to be, but I will get to it ASAP.  Let's have some fun with this, because not only do I think this is a cool idea, but it can also help maybe loosen things up around here, as over the last several months it seems like things have been rather tense around here. List away!  :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:30 pm 

One clarification before everyone posts their lists. Do only fully published modules count? That is, no adventures from Dragon magazine, Dungeon magazine, or Sample Dungeons (Zenopus, Haunted Keep, etc)?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:35 pm 

zhowar wrote:One clarification before everyone posts their lists. Do only fully published modules count? That is, no adventures from Dragon magazine, Dungeon magazine, or Sample Dungeons (Zenopus, Haunted Keep, etc)?

For the sake of making this as easy as possible, lets stick only with fully published adventures.  As a follow up though, after this poll, we can create a sperate listing for Top 10 adventures of all time ever published in Dragpn/Dungeon Magazine.  Sample dungeons are incomplete and really have no real back story so I don't think that they can accurately be rated, although if everyone disagrees with me, we could open it up to sample dungeons as well. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:49 pm 

Many of my favorites were the early ones but I played all the editions and enjoyed many through the years

Here it is

1) S3- Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
       Cool lasers in dungeons and impossible to kill robots

2) A4 In the dungeon of the Slave lords
Caught in the prison with nothing to wear, break out and face the big meanies themselves

3) S1- The Tomb of Horrors
       Real difficult for anybody

4) T1-4 Temple of Elemental evil
       Great art and great story line

5) A1 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
       Great adventure and start to something escellent

6) I6 Ravenloft
       Classic module, played it many times

7) C2 Ghost Tower of Invernes
       What the hell is going on here anyway?

10) D3 The Vault of the Drow
       Endless adventure against evil

11) Q1 Queen of the Demon web Pits
       Creative and a Demigod to kill

12) Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
       1st edition feel and classic return to an all time classic

13) WG 12 --The Vale of the Mage
       After many years the valley and characters in this famous Greyhawk place

14) I1 -- Dwellers of the Forbidden City
       Long and well thought out, a favorite in my early days

15)  B1 In Search of the unknown
       My first module, has a special part in my heart

16) B2 Keep on the Borderlands
               Get the Kobolds in the bush!!

17) C4 To Find a King
       Don't piss of the old man!!

18) Greyhawk -- The Star Carins
       Return to Greyhwk in this puzzling adventure are revealed

19) S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
       Another Long adventure awaits?

20) The terrible trouble at Tragidore
Why?  It came free with the 2nd edition DM screen and it was the first Dungeon with an actual toilet in it ;)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:22 am 

I will say this was harder than I thought it was going to be.  If I would have left it open to thirty per person, this would have gotten signifigantly easier.  I had a list of about 35 to start out with and cut it down from there.  I tried to weigh my own feelings of nostalgia against the historical signifigance of the module, the availability of it, and the quality of the actual adventure.  For instance, I really wanted to squeeze Frank's R series in here, but due that lack of availability I had to weed it out.  So that all being said, here is my list(with maybe a few surprises): *

1.) G3- hall of the Fire Giant King
2.) G2- Glacial Rift of the Frost Gian Jarl
3.) G1- Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
4.) U1- Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh.
5.) B2- The Keep on the Borderlands.
5.) I6- Ravenloft.
7.) S4- Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.
8.) S2- White Plume Mountain.
9.) S1- Tomb of Horrors.
10.) X1- Isle of Dread.
11.) B4- The Lost City.
12.) N1- Against the Cult of the Reptile God.
13.) A1- Slave Pits of the Undercity.
14.) A4- In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords.
15.) X2- Le Chateau de Ambervile.  :wink:
16.) Q1- Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
17.) WG4- Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun.
18.) I7- Baltron's Beacon.
19.) EX1- Dungeonland
20.) U3- The Final Enemy.

FWIW, Just for historical reference here are the list of modules form my original list that did not make the final cut: A3, B1, B10, CM1, JG Dark Tower, D1, D2, D3,  I1, L1, N4, R1, R2, R3, R4, T1, U2, WG5.

*Based on Paul's suggestion, I am now eliminating all Super modules with the exception of T1-4 based on the fact that T1-4 was not sold as seperate modules other than T1. Because of this modification, I eliminated N4 and Dark Tower from my Top 20.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:44 am 

Howdy Brian,

Thanks for doing this now I don't have to! :D

1.) T1 Village of Hommlet
2.) S1 Tomb of Horrors
3.) G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
4.) D3 The Vault of the Drow
5.) G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
6.) D1 Descent into the Depths of the Earth
7.) A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity
8.) B4 Lost City
9.) A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
10.) B2 Keep on the Borderlands
11.) U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
12.) C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness
13.) S2 White Plume Mountain
14.) D2 The Hidden Shrine of the Kuo-toa
15.) R1 To the Aid of Falx
16.) Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits
17.) G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftan
18.) S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojconth
19.) WG4 Lost Temple of Tharizdun
20.) T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil

Hommlet is like the place I grew up. I feel I could walk down the dusty rutted roads of the village, say, "Hullo!" to Elmo and go have a pint at the Inn of the Welcome Wench.

The Tomb of Horrors, wow what a place! It always gets dissed for being a "death trap" but it has such evocative atmosphere and history to it. I remember thinking I wanted to unearth the mystery of Acererak more than get any treasure or defeat the lich.

The Glacial Rift - what a horrible place! Such a terrible hostile environment. My fighter got plowed off the edge of the rift ledge by a block of ice thrown by a frost giant. He died but my excitement for thegame was never more alive.

The Vault of the Drow. Wow! What a fantastic place. I truly think it is the finest writing Gary ever did when he described the vault - a "dark fairyland" indeed.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:51 am 

Dang, now you got me wanting to suit up in my dungeon gear : (broadsword and flashlight) consume 6 potions of enlightenment ( six pack of coors ) and venture into my closet where all the minty treasures are safely stored. Ill have to get back on this one. That original corporate top 30 list by dungeon mag is definately B.S. - Who the hell decided that list/ surely not dungeon masters are old school vetereans who have actually adventured/DMed those modules and are not phased by promotional hype or pretty covers. I mean has anyone ever Dmed Ravenloft I6? Boring... zzzzzzz.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:52 am 

Howdy Brian,

I really think that modules should be seperate. No combos save T1-4 being considered as T2, and T1 being seperate.

For example A1, A2, A3, and A4 are all very different and should be considered seperately. Maybe the combo modules should be rated in a seperate poll?

I just think the poll will be as weak as the one Paizo did unless folks are restricted to rating individual modules. Many folks said it was a copout to rate them that way.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:56 am 

Ravenloft I6.. Well apparently a few of you had and enjoyed it.. good for you.. I still stick by my opinion its one of the most overated modules.. cool concept though. Theres just something about the Tracy Hickman style that I really dont like.. good books but not so good with writing game modules in my opinion.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:02 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Brian,

I really think that modules should be seperate. No combos save T1-4 being considered as T2, and T1 being seperate.

For example A1, A2, A3, and A4 are all very different and should be considered seperately. Maybe the combo modules should be rated in a seperate poll?

I just think the poll will be as weak as the one Paizo did unless folks are restricted to rating individual modules. Many folks said it was a copout to rate them that way.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Okay, I will adjust my poll accordingly. It will really only be pushing out my last two.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 am 

I am surprised to see no 'L's' in your lists. These are really hard to rank. I am not really sure if my rankings are based on an objective consideration of the quality of the module, but rather based on fond memories. Anyway, mine are:

1.) B2 Keep on the Borderlands
2.) L2 Assassin's Knot
3.) A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
4.) G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
5.) G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
6.) S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
7.) U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
8.) D3 Vault of the Drow
9.) G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
10.) A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity
11.) I6 Ravenloft
12.) Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits
13.) X1 The Isle of Dread
14.) L1 Secret of Bone Hill
15.) X5 Temple of Death
16.) S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
17.) D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
18.) T1 The Village of Hommlet
19.) C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness
20.) S1 Tomb of Horrors

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:01 am 

Afrika Corps wrote: mean has anyone ever Dmed Ravenloft I6? Boring... zzzzzzz.

you need a lobotomy my friend. i have DM'd it about 6 times now and each time has been different and right ol' blast. one of my favorites to DM and play. every person who plays it in our group asks for it to be re-run at least every other year.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:09 am 

i am prb gonna forget allsorts here now but hey whatever:

1.) Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits
2.) I6 Ravenloft
3.) D3 Vault of the Drow
4.) U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
5.) Tegel Manor
6.) S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
7.) D1 Descent into the Depths of the Earth
8.) Dark Tower
9.) G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
10.)  S1 Tomb of Horrors
11.) G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
12.) A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
13.) I7 Baltron's Beacon
14.) B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
15.) G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
16.) B2 The Keep on the Borderlands
17.) WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure
18.)  R1 To the Aid of Falx
19.) D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
20.) S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

thats my lot

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:06 am 

Are we talking about TSR published modules only?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:48 am 

prob you wont agree upon my choice, but i *do* prefer d&d stuff rather ad&d...

1.) X2 chateau d'ambreville
2.) CM1 test of the warlords
3.) harbringer house
4.) B10 nights dark terror
5.) X4 master of the desert nomads
6.) X5 temple of death
7.) mark of amber
8.) CM7 tree of life
9.) X11 saga of the shadowlord
10.) dead gods (is it a super module???)
11.) B4 lost city
12.) B3 palace of the silver princess
13.) B7 rahasia
14.) B2 The Keep on the Borderlands
15.) I12 egg of the phoenix
16.) X9 savage coast (to be tied with the dungeon adv "Tortles of the Purple Sage"!!!)
17.) X10 red arrow black shield
18.) CM9 legacy of blood
19.) X13 crown of ancient glory
20.) deva spark

...and i would add the worst modules ever written:

last.) woti - immortal's fury
ultra-ultra-last.) faction war

it's important for me to stress these 2 adventures since regardless thier appeal, their storyline, their overall framework, they *DESTROY* their own campaign setting...  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:36 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Are we talking about TSR published modules only?

Ian beat me to the question, Brian:  you do say PotVQ's OK, but it's obviously linked to TSR via distribution.  Is your intent that only the modules listed on the site @ http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modcode.html be eligible for the poll (i.e., PotVQ is OK, Misy Isles isn't)?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:42 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Are we talking about TSR published modules only?

grodog wrote:
Ian beat me to the question, Brian:  you do say PotVQ's OK, but it's obviously linked to TSR via distribution.  Is your intent that only the modules listed on the site @ http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modcode.html be eligible for the poll (i.e., PotVQ is OK, Misy Isles isn't)?

"2) It has to be a AD&D or D&D product(No CoC, Traveller, etc.). The edition of the module or the company producing it does not matter.  It can be the first module ever by Wee Warriors Palace of the Vampire Queen all the way through WotC recent release of Return to Castle Ravenloft."

It doens't matter. As per my rule number 2. Edition of the module or company publishing it does not matter. It can be TSR, WOTC, Wee Warriors, Goodman Games, Role Aids, Judges Guild, Necromancer Games, PPP, Creations Unlimited, etc. As long as the said product was oficially published for the usage in the AD&D/D&D rules set then it can be put in your lists. For instance, I  am figuring both you guys may be considering putting Star Stone in your lists, thats okay as it was published with the intent of being used with the AD&D/D&D rules set. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:48 am 

aia wrote:10.) dead gods (is it a super module???)

No, at least not a compilation one. The super modules I am refering to are A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords, B1-9 In Search of Advenure, D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth, G1-2-3 Against the Giants, GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders, I3-5 Desert of Desolation, and S1-4 Realms of Horror.  Actually, I12 is technically a comilation super module for Frank M's R series, but there are enough changes to it and the fact that it is not widely know as a super module for me to allow it.

Next