Where have all the good men gone....?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:08 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I couldn't locate the dice, but I'll find them soon.
Here's the Grayhawk Art. It's the original Bugbear art with that beautiful "pumpkin-head".  :lol:

Wow! I can't believe that Greg Bell piece still exists. Thanks for posting these.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:42 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
This is the coversheet of the 1st Edition DMG manuscript that was sent to the printers.

I'm currently going through the manuscript and comparing it to the actual book. So far other then grammar edits it's almost word for word. Photo's and notes to follow.

[ Image ]

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

That WAS mine at one time.....

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 am 

IttyBitty wrote:

That WAS mine at one time.....

Why did you sell?  Me and Mike had a bidding war on this piece at Gencon 8O , at one point I had to stop the auction and ask my wife if she had any room left on her credit card :lol:   The biiding was in the $3000+ zone already and after having blown a few bucks already he wore me out.  Congrats Mike.  Great piece.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:41 am 

How much did the pumpkin-head illustration go for?  
I wonder if Darlene is going to auction the cover art to RPGA1, I've always been a fan of it, much more so than the cover to B7.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58 am 

Man that was one crazy night… It was past 1am, almost 2 if I recall correctly. Everyone in the house was delirious or stoned  :lol: . Earlier that evening as the gang and I plotted out what auction items to bid on. The DMG manuscript was a frenzy of excitement. Three large was going to be our limit, but when the crest was passed I looked to my buddy Shawn who gave me the knowing nod, even if it meant walking back to Florida… I don't think I would have gone past four-thousand that would be just insane. Or, maybe not, I'd think its value could be in the range of a 1st print woody.

Thoughts?

As for Mr. Pumpky, it as well as the Darlene's RPGA art sold for min bid. I was the only hand up for each of these… A grand took them both if I remember correctly, separately at five-hundred each.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:As for Mr. Pumpky, it as well as the Darlene's RPGA art sold for min bid. I was the only hand up for each of these… A grand took them both if I remember correctly, separately at five-hundred each.

That's a great price for both of them.  There are very few Darlenes out there and any cool illustration from one of the original D&D books is definitely worth much more than $500.  I doubt many of them have survived.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:57 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Why did you sell?  Me and Mike had a bidding war on this piece at Gencon 8O , at one point I had to stop the auction and ask my wife if she had any room left on her credit card :lol:   The biiding was in the $3000+ zone already and after having blown a few bucks already he wore me out.  Congrats Mike.  Great piece.

A REALLY STOOPID reason..... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:20 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Man that was one crazy night… It was past 1am, almost 2 if I recall correctly. Everyone in the house was delirious or stoned  :lol: . Earlier that evening as the gang and I plotted out what auction items to bid on. The DMG manuscript was a frenzy of excitement. Three large was going to be our limit, but when the crest was passed I looked to my buddy Shawn who gave me the knowing nod, even if it meant walking back to Florida… I don't think I would have gone past four-thousand that would be just insane. Or, maybe not, I'd think its value could be in the range of a 1st print woody.

Frank looked like he was going to fall over 8O sure went late that night!  IttyBitty were actually there?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:30 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
..... IttyBitty were actually there?

:?:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:25 am 

IttyBitty wrote:
:?:

I think maybe he was asking "were you actually there [at the GenCon auction]?"

BTW, I'm confused - do you regret selling it at GenCon, or did you sell it earlier?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:28 am 

zhowar wrote:

BTW, I'm confused - do you regret selling it at GenCon, or did you sell it earlier?

Yes that is what I meant.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:02 pm 

Just wanted to say...I miss Killjoy.  

*Waves to Killjoy*

I also miss Faro/Harami

*Waves to Faro/Harami*

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:26 pm 

zhowar wrote:

I wasn't at the GenCon auction and I sold it earlier....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:43 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:This is the sketch Jeff Easley basically gave me that was the inspiration for the 3rd Edition PHB. (Dodges… old dice, 2nd plus printings of the 1st edition PHB, and lightest Acaeum member)  :lol:

Do you mean the revised 2nd Edition PHB?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:16 am 

I think it is for the revised 2nd Edition PHB.  The black covered one.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:54 pm 

I'm feeling stupid…  :lol: Yes it's the sketch that inspired the revised 2nd edition PHB cover… The mind is slipping these days.
Thanks for the correction guys!  :)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:10 am 

Okey Dokey - a side issue to this thread - Thumbing through old WD's and such like a few names were stalwarts in the industry back in my day - where are they now? Are any of them still involved in gaming, where, to sum up, have all these good men gone.

In no particular order
Steve Jacson & Ian Livinstone - must have made fortunes from FF and were probably the first to bring D&D physically into this country

Carl Sargeant - wrote lots of good stuff (think I read about him on here a long while ago
Jim Bambra
Graeme Morris - ST1 anyone?
Mike Brunton - as above
Phil Gallagher
Graeme Davis - See Alexander1968 interview
Lewis Pulsipher (Great name!)
Paul Vernon - Starstone - how we love thee!

Any info greatly appreciated - I'm too lazy to find out myself
(On a personal note,just about my favourite regular in WD was Critical Mass with Dave Langford, a funny guy. I can heartily reccomend signibg up to his periodic mailing list for SF fantasy fiction nonsense)

Ansible can be subscribed to at Ansible mailing list
[email protected]
https://mr1.dcs.gla.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/ansible

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:57 am 

Carl Sargent  appearently dropped out of the gaming industry and went back to the UK probably into academia.
Steve Jackson is still very much involved in the industry.
Ian Livingstone climbs mountains.
Jim Bramba is the head of Pivotal Games.
Lewis Pulsipher is a professor at Central Carolina Community College.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

PreviousNext