Where have all the good men gone....?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 1312, 3, 4 ... 111213
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8241
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 05, 2022
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:05 am 
 

hey peeps

just a flashing visit :)

merry christmas to everyone - hope youre all having a great time.

tbh, i have totally lost interest in everything to do with all this for the time being (will keep my reasons to myself), but i pop on from time to time to see whats going on.

hope youre all ok? :) (and not eating too many roasts n mince pies) ;)

*waves*

Al


Are we nearly there yet?

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:42 pm 
 

LOL…

I'm still alive… I was just poking around and noticed this thread. My interest in "collecting" hasn't waned, its just simmering on the backburner for awhile. To tell you the truth I picked up quite a few goodies at last summers GenCon; including the DMG manuscript, prototype dice for the original Basic Box Set (colors never before seen), and original art form RPGA1  by Darlene… Oh, and I almost forgot original art for the first Grayhawk supplement. --- Mr. Pumpkin-head…  :lol:

The two bargains of the trip were a True-First Grayhawk Supplement for $18 and Jeff Easley sold me the original sketch for the 3rd edition PHB cover for a song… What a guy if you get a chance to chat with him.

Anyway, I'm still lurking, and I'm in the process of shuffling around through our collection deciding important gaps to fill.

See you cats around, and I anything I'll be working the Dwarven Forge booth again this summer. And I am looking forward to an "official" Acaeum gathering if someone puts it together. A few of us had an impromptu lunch and chat last year that was a blast.

Mike  :D


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 159
Joined: Mar 20, 2006
Last Visit: Jan 27, 2014
Location: Cape Coral Florida

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:36 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
prototype dice for the original Basic Box Set (colors never before seen), original art for the first Grayhawk supplement.


Wow! Any chance of you posting a pic of the dice and the Greyhawk art?

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:03 pm 
 

I couldn't locate the dice, but I'll find them soon. We're in the process of reorganizing things after some reconstruction.

Here's the Grayhawk Art. It's the original Bugbear art with that beautiful "pumpkin-head".  :lol:

Image

This is the Darlene art that was used in RPGA 1

Image

This is the sketch Jeff Easley basically gave me that was the inspiration for the 3rd Edition PHB. (Dodges… old dice, 2nd plus printings of the 1st edition PHB, and lightest Acaeum member)  :lol:

Image

This is the coversheet of the 1st Edition DMG manuscript that was sent to the printers.

I'm currently going through the manuscript and comparing it to the actual book. So far other then grammar edits it's almost word for word. Photo's and notes to follow.

Image


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 159
Joined: Mar 20, 2006
Last Visit: Jan 27, 2014
Location: Cape Coral Florida

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:08 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I couldn't locate the dice, but I'll find them soon.
Here's the Grayhawk Art. It's the original Bugbear art with that beautiful "pumpkin-head".  :lol:

Wow! I can't believe that Greg Bell piece still exists. Thanks for posting these.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:42 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:
This is the coversheet of the 1st Edition DMG manuscript that was sent to the printers.

I'm currently going through the manuscript and comparing it to the actual book. So far other then grammar edits it's almost word for word. Photo's and notes to follow.

[ Image ]



:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

That WAS mine at one time.....

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 am 
 

IttyBitty wrote:

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

That WAS mine at one time.....

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:


Why did you sell?  Me and Mike had a bidding war on this piece at Gencon 8O , at one point I had to stop the auction and ask my wife if she had any room left on her credit card :lol:   The biiding was in the $3000+ zone already and after having blown a few bucks already he wore me out.  Congrats Mike.  Great piece.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2022

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:41 am 
 

How much did the pumpkin-head illustration go for?  
I wonder if Darlene is going to auction the cover art to RPGA1, I've always been a fan of it, much more so than the cover to B7.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58 am 
 

Man that was one crazy night… It was past 1am, almost 2 if I recall correctly. Everyone in the house was delirious or stoned  :lol: . Earlier that evening as the gang and I plotted out what auction items to bid on. The DMG manuscript was a frenzy of excitement. Three large was going to be our limit, but when the crest was passed I looked to my buddy Shawn who gave me the knowing nod, even if it meant walking back to Florida… I don't think I would have gone past four-thousand that would be just insane. Or, maybe not, I'd think its value could be in the range of a 1st print woody.

Thoughts?


As for Mr. Pumpky, it as well as the Darlene's RPGA art sold for min bid. I was the only hand up for each of these… A grand took them both if I remember correctly, separately at five-hundred each.


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2022

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:As for Mr. Pumpky, it as well as the Darlene's RPGA art sold for min bid. I was the only hand up for each of these… A grand took them both if I remember correctly, separately at five-hundred each.


That's a great price for both of them.  There are very few Darlenes out there and any cool illustration from one of the original D&D books is definitely worth much more than $500.  I doubt many of them have survived.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:57 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:
Why did you sell?  Me and Mike had a bidding war on this piece at Gencon 8O , at one point I had to stop the auction and ask my wife if she had any room left on her credit card :lol:   The biiding was in the $3000+ zone already and after having blown a few bucks already he wore me out.  Congrats Mike.  Great piece.


A REALLY STOOPID reason..... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:20 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Man that was one crazy night… It was past 1am, almost 2 if I recall correctly. Everyone in the house was delirious or stoned  :lol: . Earlier that evening as the gang and I plotted out what auction items to bid on. The DMG manuscript was a frenzy of excitement. Three large was going to be our limit, but when the crest was passed I looked to my buddy Shawn who gave me the knowing nod, even if it meant walking back to Florida… I don't think I would have gone past four-thousand that would be just insane. Or, maybe not, I'd think its value could be in the range of a 1st print woody.



Frank looked like he was going to fall over 8O sure went late that night!  IttyBitty were actually there?


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:30 pm 
 

Blackmoor wrote:
..... IttyBitty were actually there?


:?:

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1688
Joined: Sep 03, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 05, 2022
Location: Portown

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:25 am 
 

IttyBitty wrote:
:?:


I think maybe he was asking "were you actually there [at the GenCon auction]?"

BTW, I'm confused - do you regret selling it at GenCon, or did you sell it earlier?

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:28 am 
 

zhowar wrote:
I think maybe he was asking "were you actually there [at the GenCon auction]?"

BTW, I'm confused - do you regret selling it at GenCon, or did you sell it earlier?


Yes that is what I meant.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 30, 2022

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:02 pm 
 

Just wanted to say...I miss Killjoy.  

*Waves to Killjoy*

I also miss Faro/Harami

*Waves to Faro/Harami*


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 414
Joined: Mar 26, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2007
Location: Chicago

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:26 pm 
 

zhowar wrote:
I think maybe he was asking "were you actually there [at the GenCon auction]?"

BTW, I'm confused - do you regret selling it at GenCon, or did you sell it earlier?


I wasn't at the GenCon auction and I sold it earlier....

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 190
Joined: Dec 30, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2008

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:43 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:This is the sketch Jeff Easley basically gave me that was the inspiration for the 3rd Edition PHB. (Dodges… old dice, 2nd plus printings of the 1st edition PHB, and lightest Acaeum member)  :lol:

Do you mean the revised 2nd Edition PHB?



  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 1312, 3, 4 ... 111213