Where have all the good men gone....?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 am 

I think he's more like "Acaeums little"  Teddy Roosevelt. 8)

Ask me about my new M16!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 am 

Icar wrote:Here is someone that wants to show me how to do things "properly" i.e.: his way. Also telling me how I can or can't have things. If I don't grade items "his way" I should mark them as poor condition so the buyer isn't disappointed. This is the asshat that I am referring to. He makes assumptions about my relationship with my customers and also makes assumptions about the quality of the items I am selling because it serves his need to appear on a high horse. I expect that this attitude didn't stop with me. Self-appointed, and demanding everyone answer to him. Acaeum's little J. Edgar Hoover without the credentials.

And...we're back to 2006.

Icar unless you are "seatllesbest45" you've taken bclarkie's post completely out of context.  It was solid advice directed your way because you threw in your two cents foolishly trying to defend someone else's lousy business practices.  

On the other hand if that seller was you -- well, you got exactly what you deserved and should probably try to learn from that experience.  Here's the relevant details for those that want to reference the ancient discussion accurately.

viewtopic.php?p=61682&highlight=#61682

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 am 

deimos3428 wrote:And...we're back to 2006.

Icar unless you are "seatllesbest45" you've taken bclarkie's post completely out of context.  It was solid advice directed your way because you threw in your two cents foolishly trying to defend someone else's lousy business practices.  

On the other hand if that seller was you -- well, you got exactly what you deserved and should probably try to learn from that experience.  Here's the relevant details for those that want to reference the ancient discussion accurately.

viewtopic.php?p=61682&highlight=#61682

I think that concludes todays lesson...   :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 am 

Looks like Deimos covered most of this nonsense already, but I'd love to address this too:

Icar wrote:"If as a seller, it is too time consuming for you to sell your items properly, then IMO, maybe you shouldn't be selling them at all.  If its to difficult to properly sell your item and you insist on selling stuff anyway, then list everything you sell in Poor condition and also indicate that you will make no effort to package the items in away that will insure that they will arrive in good condition.  Set the expectation for your potential buyers that you really don't give a sh*t, and thereofre they will have nothing to complain about when they buy from you.  Granted, it will end up costing you as a seller some cash, but if you can't take the time to sell your items properly, you(in general, not specific) shouldn't really care what the end result is either.  Decide which way you want it, but you can't have it both ways."

Here is someone that wants to show me how to do things "properly" i.e.: his way. Also telling me how I can or can't have things. If I don't grade items "his way" I should mark them as poor condition so the buyer isn't disappointed. This is the asshat that I am referring to. He makes assumptions about my relationship with my customers and also makes assumptions about the quality of the items I am selling because it serves his need to appear on a high horse. I expect that this attitude didn't stop with me. Self-appointed, and demanding everyone answer to him. Acaeum's little J. Edgar Hoover without the credentials.

:lol:

Now, lets go back to your original post in this thread:

Icar wrote:If this is the guy I am thinking of he suggested to me that charging anything more than exact postage was wrong. Even the cost of the envelop or box was too much. He also was angry that I didn't professionally grade every item I sold. Selling and buying needed to be taken with the utmost seriousness and done his way.

And you can please feel free to highlight in bold where I actually said any of the things you've attributed to me.  Deimos dug up the old thread for you to be able to use. Have fun.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 am 

No I am not Seatlesbest45 and my record as a seller and buyer speaks for itself.

I will just repeat this part again:

Here is someone that wants to show me how to do things "properly" i.e.: his way. Also telling me how I can or can't have things. If I don't grade items "his way" I should mark them as poor condition so the buyer isn't disappointed. This is the asshat that I am referring to. He makes assumptions about my relationship with my customers and also makes assumptions about the quality of the items I am selling because it serves his need to appear on a high horse. I expect that this attitude didn't stop with me. Self-appointed, and demanding everyone answer to him. Acaeum's little J. Edgar Hoover without the credentials.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 am 

Icar wrote:Acaeum's little J. Edgar Hoover without the credentials.

As far as I know, Bclarkie has never worn a dress.  

My impression of Bclarkie is much more favorable than my impression of you, Icar.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:26 am 

Prufrock wrote:Damn glad to have you back, Bclarkie.

Martin

Plaag wrote:Glad to have you back Brian.

ShaneG.

Thanks guys. :)

wavemotion wrote:I apparently got into one 37 seconds after I made my first post. I suspect that's not the record ;)

And welcome back! ... though I was largely unaware (due to my own ignorance on the subject) that you were gone. I've been told that you would have thrashed me hardest of all - I'd have liked the opportunity to see if I'd weather that storm calmly.

For what it's worth, I'm finding all of the people here to be bright, articulate and highly knowledgeable. I'm finding about half to be very likable and a quarter to be tolerable. I've seen worse ratios... and better.

-Dave

:lol:

37 seconds probably isn't the record.  I don't know what happened, but you're still here and no one is posting the troll song, so you can't be all that bad. ;)

improvstone wrote:
Brian,

Good to see you are alive and well and not just lurking :-)

For the record I didn't give that post a moments thought.  Starting a conversation with 'If it is the person I am thing of ...' and then preceeding to run with that assumption and rubbish a persons name is poor form.

I will be visting the US/Canada this year so if you are around it would be great to catch up ....

Thanks Mike.  Where are you going to be visiting in the US?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 am 

Icar wrote:No I am not Seatlesbest45 and my record as a seller and buyer speaks for itself.
Good, glad to hear it.  Though I'm a bit confused as to why you're taking what he originally posted in 2006 personally, in that case.  Reread the thread.  It clearly wasn't directed specifically at you, but at you, seattlesbest45, me, and anyone else that wants to sell on eBay.  It's a bit prescriptive, perhaps, but it also has the benefit of being correct.

(One frequently encounters the use of the pronoun "you" in casual parlance, when properly the term "one" should be employed to refer to a non-specific entity.  "If one wants to sell on eBay, one should...")

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 am 

Icar wrote:No I am not Seatlesbest45 and my record as a seller and buyer speaks for itself.

I will just repeat this part again:

I guess this means that the statements that you claim that I made are not going to be forthcoming. What a surprise!  :lol:

And Martin is correct, I don't wear dresses.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 pm 

bclarkie wrote:And Martin is correct, I don't wear dresses.

Are you SURE?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo...

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm 

Nah that's just a cape. :lol:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 pm 

Icar wrote:my record as a seller and buyer speaks for itself.

Fair enough Icar.

My suggestion is that you let that statement stand, agree to disagree, and everyone moves on.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 pm 

Nobody benefits from a flame-war but in the case of advice about grading and packaging, learn what you can from it, discard what you don't want and at the end of the day the feedback from your customers will tell the story for the whole world to see.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 pm 

I'm confused now (it doesn't take much), but when I looked at the old thread, Icar was the name in discussions with bc...

anyway, moving on, anyone heard from killjoy in a while, or is he running around the world? :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Last edited by ashmire13 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:38 pm 

Plaag wrote:[ Image ]

Nah that's just a cape. :lol:

ShaneG.
Perhaps I should consider changing my avatar to a lightening rod.

If the shoe fits....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I guess this means that the statements that you claim that I made are not going to be forthcoming. What a surprise!  :lol:

And Martin is correct, I don't wear dresses.

I am not suggesting you wear a dress, nor will I. I am suggesting you have manifested your need for justice in a very unhelpful way. You have  told me and others how to conduct themselves, which is not your right nor your business. It was also the point of my previous post, I couldn't remember what you had insisted I do, only that you were insisting.

My question to you is have you ever committed libel and accused someone of an illegal, immoral or unethical act when they were innocent?

My opinion is out there, and the truth is I would buy from anyone on this forum including bclarkie. Everybody deserves a chance and there is no one here who doesn't care for the hobby.

Nuff said.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm 

Icar wrote:You have told me and others how to conduct themselves, which is not your right nor your business.

So you're telling I have no right or business to tell people how to conduct themselves, in the process of telling me how I should conduct myself.

Wow.
Icar wrote:It was also the point of my previous post, I couldn't remember what you had insisted I do, only that you were insisting.

I was doing nothing of the sort. This is highlighted by the fact in my posts way back in 2006 included IMO.  IMO=In my opinion.  

Even if it that wasn't there, I am not so deluded into thinking that I could control what people do regardless of what I say.  Over the years, I have simply outlaid the facts as they were there and offered my own opinion.  People on here choose to take heed as to what I wrote or not. I have no control over anyone other than myself.

Icar wrote:My question to you is have you ever committed libel and accused someone of an illegal, immoral or unethical act when they were innocent?

Not that I'm aware of.  Actually my record here speaks for itself.  On the rare occasion where I may have been off the mark, I've had no issue admitting and apologizing when it was necessary.

Icar wrote:My opinion is out there, and the truth is I would buy from anyone on this forum including bclarkie. Everybody deserves a chance and there is no one here who doesn't care for the hobby.

Nuff said.

IIRC, I actually think we've done business in the past and I've never had an issue with you, regardless.  I never even knew that you had an issue with me until you came out of nowhere to trash me thinking that I was gone.  

I'm smart enough to know that there are people that post on this forum who don't like me, but I'm okay with that. Part of that has to do with the fact that I am not very compromising when I perceive a "wrong" per se.  I am not particularly diplomatic at times when it comes down to it, I'm a straight shooter and that can rub people the wrong way.  I also refuse to back down when I feel it's the right thing to do.

There are other folks who don't particularly care for my political views(which is probably one of the main reasons why the topic of politics should stay off this forum) and that's unfortunate, but there is nothing I can do.  For instance, JasonZavoda clearly still clearly doesn't like me, I gather mostly due to a heated political discussion we all had a year or so ago(at least in part). The funny part is that despite that, I really hold no ill will his way, since despite our differences I see a guy that has been a long productive member of the community at large, who from what I know has been nothing but a solid buyer/seller for many years and I would have no issue steering people his way.  It is what is though.

When it's all said and done, it's an internet forum, some folks are just not to get along all the time.  It's the nature of the beast and I'm okay with that.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 pm 

bclarkie wrote:When it's all said and done, it's an internet forum, some folks are just not to get along all the time.  It's the nature of the beast and I'm okay with that.

Pretty much exactly how I would have mentioned it.  We all have our opinions, beliefs, and ways of doing things and they are bound to clash with someone else's at some point.

Speaking of good men...where the hell has killjoy32 been for the last couple of months?  Did he run right off the edge of the planet or something?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

PreviousNext