Where have all the good men gone....?
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 pm 

FWIW , I think the thread of the title (and a definite cue for a song) says it all.

Brian certainly rubbed certain people up the wrong way, and was never afraid to mince his words , but without any doubt in my mind he is one of the 'Good Men'.

I feel that this forum misses him.

(If only we could do substitions - one out/one in - though perhaps thats for another thread :D )("go,walk out the door, don't turn around now, you're not welcome any more," if you need another song title/thread title :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 pm 

gyg wrote:FWIW , I think the thread of the title (and a definite cue for a song) says it all.

Brian certainly rubbed certain people up the wrong way, and was never afraid to mince his words , but without any doubt in my mind he is one of the 'Good Men'.

I feel that this forum misses him.

(If only we could do substitions - one out/one in - though perhaps thats for another thread :D )("go,walk out the door, don't turn around now, you're not welcome any more," if you need another song title/thread title :lol: )

Your opinion, fair enough, but the forum as whole does not miss him at all and many rather rejoice in his absence.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:01 pm 

each to their own, but I wouldn't say the 'forum' but more a split it seems... Glad to see that he is around though and hasn't fallen off the planet..
Anyone heard from Bombadil recently by the way? :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm 

I don't know where the good men have gone, but the reason they're going is undoubtedly due to threads like this one.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:02 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I don't know where the good men have gone, but the reason they're going is undoubtedly due to threads like this one.

very fair comment - when I started this thread it was meant to be rather more positive than it has been at times.

I've been recently going back over some old threads and it struck me how many guys have been regular posters on here, but seem to have disappeared.
Where are they now? Is this just natural wastage? Have they left the hobby? Did I say something to upset them? (Or did Deadlord say something to upset them?(J/K  )
My list isn't exhaustive but you get the picture - So are they MIA or have they just got a life?
Invincible Overlord (still posts at Dwarven forge I notice),  Gamesguy(funny guy!), McDuff, Nev, Draco (came back very briefly a while ago), Ralf Toth & Purpledragon (Deadlord?  ) and Johnhuck (seems to duck in and out of the forums) and of course Extsr (MIA at DF as well I believe)

This is not to suggest that those left are not 'good men', it just seemed like a snappy title for the thread!.

I've just reread my original post in its entirity - looky-looky, Gamesguy and Nev - perhaps it's just one of those cyclical things, as forums, and games-collections tend to be.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 pm 

ack, and EXTSR of course!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:53 pm 

gyg wrote:FWIW , I think the thread of the title (and a definite cue for a song) says it all.)

Oh, THAT song! I was confusing it with this (much superior) one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnB3CHwPipU

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:12 pm 

Wow, this thread turned into a pro vs. con for me.

For those of you who took the opportunity to tell me "good riddance", thanks. :lol:  :lol:  Without deluging into a flame war immediately upon my return, you don't matter and I'll leave it at that.

Except for this, because Mike actually matters:

Badmike wrote:#2 Brian the self-appointed forum cop I didn't enjoy as much...in case anyone doesn't remember he pretty much called Doug Rhea a thieving POS and never apologized or backed off that assumption.  I know for a fact he overstepped himself on that one and he lost a lot of my respect with that assumption.
Mike B.

Mike,
 This is not entirely true.  Doug and I certainly had quite an issue for a while, however I never ever indicated that I thought Doug a thief.  I did however take issue with what I perceive to be his attempt to prop up prices for Dragon Magazine #1.  I failed to see(and still feel this way) how one individual buying up every single Dragon #1 or driving the bid up is good for anyone except for perhaps that individual.  IMO it's not good for the hobby. I'm not really interested in rehashing old arguments, I just wanted to set the record straight as far as that goes.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Your opinion, fair enough, but the forum as whole does not miss him at all and many rather rejoice in his absence.

I love it when people speak for anonymous "others" as they think it makes their point seem more genuine.  :lol:

Some things never change.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 pm 

Icar wrote:If this is the guy I am thinking of he suggested to me that charging anything more than exact postage was wrong. Even the cost of the envelop or box was too much. He also was angry that I didn't professionally grade every item I sold. Selling and buying needed to be taken with the utmost seriousness and done his way. Came off as a total douche to me. I remember thinking if this is the kind of asshole that hangs out here I am not sure I want to be here as well and I left.

Oh and this post is a 100% complete fabrication.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:44 pm 

Damn glad to have you back, Bclarkie.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:42 pm 

Glad to have you back Brian.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Without deluging into a flame war immediately upon my return

I apparently got into one 37 seconds after I made my first post. I suspect that's not the record ;)

And welcome back! ... though I was largely unaware (due to my own ignorance on the subject) that you were gone. I've been told that you would have thrashed me hardest of all - I'd have liked the opportunity to see if I'd weather that storm calmly.

For what it's worth, I'm finding all of the people here to be bright, articulate and highly knowledgeable. I'm finding about half to be very likable and a quarter to be tolerable. I've seen worse ratios... and better.

-Dave

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:41 pm 

Brian - I for one am glad you're back - It may only be 'opinion' (stated above) - but you are, in my book,  one of the 'good men', and can only make these forums a better place.

(and of course you bought my Orange B3 so I feel I kind of owe you for that :D .)

(when I say Orange B3 - it might not be quite what everyone here thinks!)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:00 pm 

Although I don't matter, chuckle, gratz on the job and house.  Life is far more important than this stuff.

And, BC #1 must be one heck of a guy, because you certainly have had friends missing and defending you.  I hope to get to know that guy... instead of the BC #2 forum cop version again.

I am sorry that I took the opportunity for a cheap pot shot while you were away.  I am impressed with the succinct manner you responded.  

Some of your posts are remarkably helpful.  Like everyone here, I inevitably benefit from some of your research.

Welcome back, I think.  It certainly has been fairly quiet.  None of us actually want to get bored, I guess!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:08 pm 

gyg wrote:(when I say Orange B3 - it might not be quite what everyone here thinks!)

Brian, you want to comment about his "orange B3?"  I can tell you right now, you are not seeing my "orange B3!"  8O  :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Mike,
 This is not entirely true.  Doug and I certainly had quite an issue for a while, however I never ever indicated that I thought Doug a thief.  I did however take issue with what I perceive to be his attempt to prop up prices for Dragon Magazine #1.  I failed to see(and still feel this way) how one individual buying up every single Dragon #1 or driving the bid up is good for anyone except for perhaps that individual.  IMO it's not good for the hobby. I'm not really interested in rehashing old arguments, I just wanted to set the record straight as far as that goes.

Fair enough.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 pm 

wavemotion wrote:I apparently got into one 37 seconds after I made my first post. I suspect that's not the record ;)

And welcome back! ... though I was largely unaware (due to my own ignorance on the subject) that you were gone. I've been told that you would have thrashed me hardest of all - I'd have liked the opportunity to see if I'd weather that storm calmly.

For what it's worth, I'm finding all of the people here to be bright, articulate and highly knowledgeable. I'm finding about half to be very likable and a quarter to be tolerable. I've seen worse ratios... and better.

-Dave

There used to be the ability to reply to posts in the classifieds.  After my first post, in which I listed some items I had for sale in the classifieds, immediately afterwards someone posted "Look, another asshole used games dealer is here to crap all over our boards", or something to that effect.  Ahhh, memories.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext