Where have all the good men gone....?
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:29 pm 

bbarsh wrote:No need for that last comment though.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  "Good riddance"?  You dont have a problem with that?  Brian may have rubbed some people the wrong way but when he went sniffing for crooks and shysters he was almost always correct about them.

I normally just ignore Pipswich since most of what he types is of no consequence.  But posts like this he needs to just keep to himself.  Or replace them with "I like cake."  Whichever....as long as I dont have to read it.  :evil:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:39 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I wholeheartedly disagree.  "Good riddance"?  You dont have a problem with that?  Brian may have rubbed some people the wrong way but when he went sniffing for crooks and shysters he was almost always correct about them.

I normally just ignore Pipswich since most of what he types is of no consequence.  But posts like this he needs to just keep to himself.  Or replace them with "I like cake."  Whichever....as long as I dont have to read it.  :evil:

Pip is speaking up for a good number of people who prefer to let matters rest and just be thankful certain loud mouth a-holes happen to be missing from the boards as of late. I have no problem ignoring them, but it is nice to just not have them around.

So "Good Riddance" certainly much, much more polite than I have been but I'm glad it was said and it needs to be said, despite protests from the friends and supporters of the snide little weasel and his ilk.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Pip is speaking up for a good number of people who prefer to let matters rest and just be thankful certain loud mouth a-holes happen to be missing from the boards as of late. I have no problem ignoring them, but it is nice to just not have them around.

So "Good Riddance" certainly much, much more polite than I have been but I'm glad it was said and it needs to be said, despite protests from the friends and supporters of the snide little weasel and his ilk.

Stating "good riddance" doesnt exactly "let matters rest" as you put it now does it?  If he wanted to do so he would have just kept his trap shut wouldnt you think?  And it is so much easier bashing someone you dislike when they arent there to defend themselves isn't it?  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:48 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Hey King, I was referring to Pips comment, not yours. There was no reason for Pip to post the "good riddance" line.

I had my disagreements with Brian, too. But he was an asset to this site.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:44 pm 

We'll need to elect a new bloodhound if he is indeed gone.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:02 pm 

He is peculiarly talented.  I don't think those shoes can be filled.  

I am clearly among those who feel 90% or even 95% right is not good enough when he harms the innocent when wrong.  Nonetheless, even grudgingly one has to respect his skills.  And, I would be the last to argue that he isn't right the vast majority of the time.  

Nonetheless, he obviously contributed to the hobby but also ran a lot of good people away from here.  I refused to be one of them and was not inclined to read laudatory prose to BC without comment.  Frankly, if he came back and exercised his skills with a bit more moderation, even I would probably consider him one of the most valuable members of the community.  He certainly is capable.

Belaboring this, particularly when he is gone, or on hiatus, or whatever, isn't particularly productive.  And, it is troubling that no one seems to know anything about what happened to him.  I don't care for him, but I don't wish him harm or hardship.

So, I propose a toast to Brian.  

Brian, wherever you are, we all wish you well in your endeavors!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:19 pm 

My issue was with his presentation of his amateur sleuthing as facts, when it was simply conjecture and harmful to others.

He was right aprox 99% of the time as far as I could see. The other time (only instance I know of) he apologized immediately.
harmful to others

It's fine with me if by doing "harm" to you, for example, it cuts down on the "harm" that you were doing to others Pip :wink:

Ask me about my new M16!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:10 pm 

And what harm is that?

The harm that occurs when you approach Ebay sellers after auctions are completed and then you negotiate a deal with that "seller" for the "buyers" won item/s. Then pretend that you're somehow an "ethical" person :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Then "good riddance" to the 1st person who recognized what you're all about...

Ask me about my new M16!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:26 pm 

Pipswich wrote:[Bclarkie] also ran a lot of good people away from here.

Oh really?  Name one, please.  As I recall, everyone he ran off deserved it in spades.  8)

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:48 pm 

OK . . . isn't this all old news?  Bclarkie vs. Pipswich, done that.  Bclarkie vs. others, many times.  Pipswich vs. others, ditto.

Time wounds all heals, I guess.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:00 pm 

Fact is, I miss Brian the collector.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:31 pm 

*nods*

JohnGaunt wrote:Time wounds all heals, I guess.

Hrmm... seems like. :?

d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:55 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Fact is, I miss Brian the collector.

#1 Brian the collector and ferreter-outer of conmen I enjoyed.  He added immensely to this forum.

#2 Brian the self-appointed forum cop I didn't enjoy as much...in case anyone doesn't remember he pretty much called Doug Rhea a thieving POS and never apologized or backed off that assumption.  I know for a fact he overstepped himself on that one and he lost a lot of my respect with that assumption.

I hope when he does return to these boards, it's Brian #1 we hear from....he was a lot of fun.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 pm 

Note to Tharizdun.

When a buy it now requires immediate payment....  you have to PAY to complete the contract.  Ebay and Paypal both confirmed that I won the artworks by meeting the terms of the sale.  Dunno why you are crying sour grapes.  I am the one that didn't get everything I won and paid for on the buy it nows.  I hit the buy it now and paid immediately... as the listings required.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:38 pm 

I'm not the person here you screwed Pip :wink: I'm not "crying sour grapes" either. Just calling you out for your shady tactics. If you like, it can be broken down right here though 8)

Ask me about my new M16!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:55 pm 

Well, given that I have asked you personally on the phone and by pm several times what your issue is...  and your message here now demonstrates that it is hearsay anyway, why don't you send me a pm with your concern.  It may be resolvable, and you have certainly only heard one side of the story since I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 pm 

Not quite, Pip sent me a pm reciting his side of the story.
I'll let the offended party post here when he has the time :wink:

Chalk me up to missing BC as well even though I'm not in his circle of friends... just fun (and astonishingly accuarate) reading 8)

Note to Pip: I'm also curious about the good guys that BC ran away from here. What great guys did he run off???

Ask me about my new M16!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:41 pm 

If there is an offended party, the obvious first course would be for them to ask me about the matter.  Since I expect this is about the buy it now art that I was told someone tried to buy but didn't complete payment on and that ebay legitimately sold to me... when I met the immediate payment required condition of sale, then the resolution they got from the seller was more than they should have.  I am the one who met the contract terms and paid... but did not get all of the items that I won and paid for immediately.  That's simple enough.

In any event, I have gone out of my way to be fair with people while trying not to be taken advantage of in the process.  When I think there is a question of ownership, or shady dealings, I don't play silly games on the forum.  I either post... does someone here own this (like the TSR sign) or I contact related parties directly and ask them.  I would like to think that anyone here who thought they had an issue with me or something I purchased would send a pm and ask about it.  Like everyone here, when I buy from a seller, I have to rely on their statement of ownership and clear title.  If a seller does not reveal material facts, then I can't be aware of them until they are disclosed.  

I won't try to define "great guys" or express opinions that simply prolong the polarized nature of discussing the relative merits of BC on this forum.  It seems prudent to agree to disagree and try not to prolong the discussion.

PreviousNext