eBay sucks ays yet again
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:39 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi Mike,

You had written:

Well, thanks for the advice -- looks like I'm going to have to do some more ad editing...   :x

Anyone else have any advice/input?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Guys I know some of you don't like wikipedia but read this ...

Explains why there would be confusion with Bidpay on eBay.

From eBay

Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com

Seems like Bidpay is fine ...

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:59 am 

Hi Improv,

Thanks for the link and for the comments... I think I might end up contacting eBay "directly" and see what they have to say about the issue.

I know that for the past few weeks, anytime I've listed an auction using an old template which contains the dreaded word "cash," eBay ends that auction almost immediately, so I can't imagine them being so lenient on something like Bidpay...  :/

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:11 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi Improv,

Thanks for the link and for the comments... I think I might end up contacting eBay "directly" and see what they have to say about the issue.

I know that for the past few weeks, anytime I've listed an auction using an old template which contains the dreaded word "cash," eBay ends that auction almost immediately, so I can't imagine them being so lenient on something like Bidpay...  :/

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Cash I can understand.

The list of accepted services I took from ebay.com.  Definitely check directly, however when it comes to ebay policy I would believe the ebay website over something I read on the forum.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:19 am 

improvstone wrote:

Cash I can understand.

The list of accepted services I took from ebay.com.  Definitely check directly, however when it comes to ebay policy I would believe the ebay website over something I read on the forum.

Well a year or two ago, Ebay did make a policy change that listed Bidpay as a service that was no longer accpeptable, however it appears that they have again changed their stance again and it is now acceptable again.  Why they changed back I have no idea. :?

<edit>

Ahh here it is being discussed:

viewtopic.php?t=3364&highlight=bidpay

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:28 am 

bclarkie wrote:Why they changed back I have no idea. :?

Considering Bidpay closed operations and was sold it makes sense to me that eBay would ban it.  Now that it has started operations again under new management eBay have readded it to theh list ....

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 pm 

Wow, much confusion. eBay seemed pretty adamant when they originally banned BidPay, but now everything is okay? Xaxie confused ...

Either way, here's my two coppers: this doesn't matter that much. I stopped listing with a BidPay option years ago and got not one single complaint or request from a buyer to use the service (of course, I also accept checks, which probably helps out with the anti-PayPal crowd).

The original BidPay service was user-unfriendly, slow, and expensive. Has anything really changed?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:00 pm 

Xaxaze had written:
Either way, here's my two coppers: this doesn't matter that much. I stopped listing with a BidPay option years ago and got not one single complaint or request from a buyer to use the service (of course, I also accept checks, which probably helps out with the anti-PayPal crowd).

The original BidPay service was user-unfriendly, slow, and expensive. Has anything really changed?

I could probably count on one hand the number of buyers I've had over the years who've paid via Bidpay.  Still, it's nice to know that there is an option out there besides Paypal, especially for items that Paypal won't let you pay for via their services (i.e., items in the Mature Audiences category -- sometime I've always objected to, on the premise that this company is telling you how you can spend your own money).

As far as I can determine, Bidpay got bought by another company, which no longer issues money orders but instead puts a deposit directly into a bank account of your choice.  The only drawback is that if you don't have the ability to check your account online, you have to go to the bank and get a teller to tell you if the deposit has been made.  But the deposit got made into my account within a couple of days and I received emails from Bidpay saying that payment was on its way and that the deposit had been made, but not to ship out the item until the deposit was verified.

Looks like I'll have to amend my listings so that it no longer mentions money orders in connection with Bidpay at any rate...  :?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:54 pm 

Wandering Monster wrote:Still, it's nice to know that there is an option out there besides Paypal, especially for items that Paypal won't let you pay for via their services (i.e., items in the Mature Audiences category -- sometime I've always objected to, on the premise that this company is telling you how you can spend your own money).

They do  8O  8O

Well I just figured out how to increase Paypal's profits ....  :wink:

Imagine paying for items with your credit card and having certain items rejected  8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:16 pm 

I contacted Ebay and complained about the secret bidders policy change.

Not that they will care...

...but I also pointed out that their virtual monopoly on internet auctions was not long for this world when they treat buyers like dirt.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:16 pm 

Text of the reply I got from Ebay about secret bidders:

Dear Mark,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your concerns about a new eBay
policy.

The change in how Bidder IDs are displayed on the Bid History and Item
Listing pages was done to help protect the privacy of our members. We
believe that this change will help to balance the need for openness and
transparency in the marketplace with the need to protect our community
from threats such as fake Second Chance Offers.

While specific User IDs will not be visible, individual bidders will be
identified on by an alias (such as Bidder 1, Bidder 2, etc.). For each
bidder involved in a listing, we'll display:

1. The number of bids that the bidder has placed in unique categories.
2. The range that the bidder's feedback score falls within.
3. The bidder's positive feedback percentage.
4. The bidder's length of time as an eBay member; and,
5. The number of bids the bidder has placed on the item.

Future enhancements are being designed that will provide even more
transaction data about the bidders and seller involved in a transaction.

People and businesses looking to sell products have numerous options,
including other online platforms, their own Web sites, and offline
stores. Buyers are going to spend money wherever they can find the best
selection and the best deal.

When people come to eBay to buy and sell, they do so by choice, because
eBay offers a compelling value proposition for them.

I hope that this information may be useful for you and I apologize for
any inconvenience. If you have more questions, you are welcome to email
us back.

We are committed to making your eBay experiences pleasant and
fulfilling.

Sincerely,
Marcelo D.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:38 pm 

Nice little form letter that essentially states,

"Dear Mark,

We don't really give a shit what you think, we are going to do what we believe is in our best financial interests.  If you don't like the way we do things around here, please feel free to take your business elsewhere.  Also, please make sure that you do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  

Thanks for your time and have a GREAT day!"

Truthfully, I would have extremely surprised if you actually would have gotten a response that indicated that reall gave a flying f**k what anyone else but they thought.  Go Google!!

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:49 pm 

Stupid fucks just took down 4 of my auctions because I said I accepted cash. They are a fucking joke.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:03 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Nice little form letter that essentially states,

"Dear Mark,

We don't really give a shit what you think, we are going to do what we believe is in our best finacial interests.  If you don't like the way we do things around here, please feel free to take your business elsewhere.  Also, please make sure that you do not let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  

Thanks for your time and have a GREAT day!"

Truthfully, I would have extremely surprised if you actually would have gotten a response that indicated that reall gave a flying f**k what anyone else but they thought.  Go Google!!

But to be fair Mark didn't just ask about the hidden buyer policy change.  He also:

...but I also pointed out that their virtual monopoly on internet auctions was not long for this world when they treat buyers like dirt.

So I can understand the response in this case

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:44 pm 

improvstone wrote:
So I can understand the response in this case

I'd be willing to bet that if you simply said that you were wondering why you can't see bidders anymore that you would get the same response.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that if you simply said that you were wondering why you can't see bidders anymore that you would get the same response.

There is no doubt they don't read the question asked and use a standard response email.  I have had lots of occassions where I asked a question and received a form mail.  Had to resend the question multiple times before I got a legitamate response.  :evil:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:01 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Stupid fucks just took down 4 of my auctions because I said I accepted cash. They are a fucking joke.

and here was me thinking cos it was me bidding on them :D

you really have the ebay removal curse chummer

Al

ps. course you could just sell them to me privately :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:04 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
and here was me thinking cos it was me bidding on them :D

you really have the ebay removal curse chummer

Al

ps. course you could just sell them to me privately :D

hey! I'll take the misty :D  :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:05 pm 

improvstone wrote:
There is no doubt they don't read the question asked and use a standard response email.  I have had lots of occassions where I asked a question and received a form mail.  Had to resend the question multiple times before I got a legitamate response.  :evil:

the good thing about Ebay's response to Mark's question though is the fact that still view themselves as "invincible". This of course is almost always the first step towards a companies own downfall, as this feeling of "invincibility" that they will prevent them seeing any real threats to their current online dominance until its already too late.  :wink:  I will say that when it does come, I will not be shedding any tears for ol' Meg and her greedy company.

PreviousNext