eBay sucks ays yet again
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:41 am 

improvstone wrote:Something I just found out .. ebay doesn't let you add fedback after a user becaome unregistered.

What a great way for ebay to limit the amount a negative feedback and thus show the real damage the user caused.  8O

yes i have noticed that before myself - it makes you wonder what their "think tank" is doing at the best of times really doesnt it?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:06 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
yes i have noticed that before myself - it makes you wonder what their "think tank" is doing at the best of times really doesnt it?

Al

That has been in effect already--I ran into it about a year back when a seller, who had a "clean" record, failed to send me a module I won; he bailed out and I could not put in feedback or even report him for failure to send merchandise.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:56 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

This is what ebay thinks
'We think we are going to make loads of money ripping you off, tank you very much'

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:18 pm 

improvstone wrote:Something I just found out .. ebay doesn't let you add fedback after a user becaome unregistered.

I'm not looking to fan any flames or anything, but I have to admit that I don't see the problem here.

One thing about eBay declaring someone NARU: it is permanent. That person is done. Nothing anyone else can say — whether through positive or negative feedback — can change that. It's already over. So it seems sort of pointless to me to worry about adding to the feedback file of a user who is literally out of the picture.

+++++

For the record, though, I've wanted to do this a couple of times in the past, so I can certainly understand the urge to do it. I'm just saying eBay's policy seems logical enough to me.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:13 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm not looking to fan any flames or anything, but I have to admit that I don't see the problem here.

One thing about eBay declaring someone NARU: it is permanent. That person is done. Nothing anyone else can say — whether through positive or negative feedback — can change that. It's already over. So it seems sort of pointless to me to worry about adding to the feedback file of a user who is literally out of the picture.

+++++

For the record, though, I've wanted to do this a couple of times in the past, so I can certainly understand the urge to do it. I'm just saying eBay's policy seems logical enough to me.

The problem I have is I don't really know what the 'no longer registered' flag means.  Did

1. ebay remove the seller/buyer because he was shifty?
2. Did the user leave on their own volition?
3. Was it a minor infingement or did the seller royally rip people off?

My problem is that eBay states the market is open but in reality the market is not open as information is constrained.  Additionally, the systems provide plenty of loopholes for shifty types to exploit.

With regard to adding feedback post.   Ithink there is a valid reason.  Take TGE for instance.  He has come back multiple times.  The information from previous auctions has helped track him each time he comes back.  He is just one example but I believe there are lots of shady sellers which have exploited the system multiple times.  The way the system is now it makes it hard to keep the bad ones out....

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:55 am 

Guys

Some advice please.

My better half has just started using ebay and recently won an item.  She payed for it via paypal.  Soon after the seller sent a message to her stating that the paypal account she sent the money to was wrong and that she should sent to another email account via paypal.

I checked the money was unclaimed which it was.  Cancelled the payment then sent a response to the seller stating that if the payment was in error it was because they had incorrectly setup their ebay account.  Fix the ebay account and payment would be resubmitted once the funds from the cancelled payment were recredited.  

The seller has since responded 1st with the same message via ebay then with a request for payment direct from paypal to this other account.  Given that the seller has not responded to two separate messages, except to send another invoice,  I do not trust them.  

Why would a seller not want to have the ebay account connected to the correct paypal account?

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:38 am 

Don't do it. The rules, and the benefits of following them, AND the risks of not doing so, are very clear.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Don't do it. The rules, and the benefits of following them, AND the risks of not doing so, are very clear.

I agree just very strange.  This is a seller which has been selling for some time and has a clean record.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:59 am 

improvstone wrote:Guys

Some advice please.

My better half has just started using ebay and recently won an item.  She payed for it via paypal.  Soon after the seller sent a message to her stating that the paypal account she sent the money to was wrong and that she should sent to another email account via paypal.

I checked the money was unclaimed which it was.  Cancelled the payment then sent a response to the seller stating that if the payment was in error it was because they had incorrectly setup their ebay account.  Fix the ebay account and payment would be resubmitted once the funds from the cancelled payment were recredited.  

The seller has since responded 1st with the same message via ebay then with a request for payment direct from paypal to this other account.  Given that the seller has not responded to two separate messages, except to send another invoice,  I do not trust them.  

Why would a seller not want to have the ebay account connected to the correct paypal account?

Sounds like a hijacked account.  That is happening a lot lately. I say thee nay....sounds like trouble.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:21 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've been putting Bidpay as a payment option in my eBay auctions ever since I started on eBay over seven years ago.

Then tonight I stumble on this forum post saying that Bidpay went out of business and that eBay is randomly pulling auctions that list Bidpay and/or its logo as a method of payment.  However, I've never had this happen, and I recently had a buyer pay via Bidpay with no problems.  However, I have noticed that Bidpay no longer issues actual money orders but instead transfers the money directly into my bank account.

Can someone please let me know what the scoop is with Bidpay and eBay these days???

Thanks,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been putting Bidpay as a payment option in my eBay auctions ever since I started on eBay over seven years ago.

Then tonight I stumble on this forum post saying that Bidpay went out of business and that eBay is randomly pulling auctions that list Bidpay and/or its logo as a method of payment.  However, I've never had this happen, and I recently had a buyer pay via Bidpay with no problems.  However, I have noticed that Bidpay no longer issues actual money orders but instead transfers the money directly into my bank account.

Can someone please let me know what the scoop is with Bidpay and eBay these days???

Thanks,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

I haven't had a buyer use Bidpay in many years. I'd say it's not worth the chance Ebay pulls your listing to have it listed as a method of payment.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:58 am 

Hi Mike,

You had written:
Badmike wrote:
I haven't had a buyer use Bidpay in many years. I'd say it's not worth the chance Ebay pulls your listing to have it listed as a method of payment.

Mike B.

Well, thanks for the advice -- looks like I'm going to have to do some more ad editing...   :x

Anyone else have any advice/input?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:39 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi Mike,

You had written:

Well, thanks for the advice -- looks like I'm going to have to do some more ad editing...   :x

Anyone else have any advice/input?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Guys I know some of you don't like wikipedia but read this ...

Explains why there would be confusion with Bidpay on eBay.

From eBay

Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com

Seems like Bidpay is fine ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:59 am 

Hi Improv,

Thanks for the link and for the comments... I think I might end up contacting eBay "directly" and see what they have to say about the issue.

I know that for the past few weeks, anytime I've listed an auction using an old template which contains the dreaded word "cash," eBay ends that auction almost immediately, so I can't imagine them being so lenient on something like Bidpay...  :/

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:11 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi Improv,

Thanks for the link and for the comments... I think I might end up contacting eBay "directly" and see what they have to say about the issue.

I know that for the past few weeks, anytime I've listed an auction using an old template which contains the dreaded word "cash," eBay ends that auction almost immediately, so I can't imagine them being so lenient on something like Bidpay...  :/

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Cash I can understand.

The list of accepted services I took from ebay.com.  Definitely check directly, however when it comes to ebay policy I would believe the ebay website over something I read on the forum.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:19 am 

improvstone wrote:

Cash I can understand.

The list of accepted services I took from ebay.com.  Definitely check directly, however when it comes to ebay policy I would believe the ebay website over something I read on the forum.

Well a year or two ago, Ebay did make a policy change that listed Bidpay as a service that was no longer accpeptable, however it appears that they have again changed their stance again and it is now acceptable again.  Why they changed back I have no idea. :?

<edit>

Ahh here it is being discussed:

viewtopic.php?t=3364&highlight=bidpay

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:28 am 

bclarkie wrote:Why they changed back I have no idea. :?

Considering Bidpay closed operations and was sold it makes sense to me that eBay would ban it.  Now that it has started operations again under new management eBay have readded it to theh list ....

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 pm 

Wow, much confusion. eBay seemed pretty adamant when they originally banned BidPay, but now everything is okay? Xaxie confused ...

Either way, here's my two coppers: this doesn't matter that much. I stopped listing with a BidPay option years ago and got not one single complaint or request from a buyer to use the service (of course, I also accept checks, which probably helps out with the anti-PayPal crowd).

The original BidPay service was user-unfriendly, slow, and expensive. Has anything really changed?

PreviousNext