eBay sucks ays yet again
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:38 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:
Someone should check on bclarkie.  I've read some of his opinions on this and, well, let's just say things are going to get a little verbal.

Ahh, no need to rehash all my opinions, they are already well known. :wink:   Lets just say that I am slightly against this idea. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:43 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Ahh, no need to rehash all my opinions, they are already well known. :wink:   Lets just say that I am slightly against this idea. :wink:

Brian,  Aww... You just ruined my fun for the day. I was looking forward to the fireworks.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:05 am 

improvstone wrote:
Brian,  Aww... You just ruined my fun for the day. I was looking forward to the fireworks.  :lol:

Just for you M:

bclarkie wrote:This is the biggest load of F**king Bull S**t that I have ever seen in my entire life on Ebay.  Let's face it, this was not done to protect anyone's idenity, it was done so Ebay can secretly do away with their shilling policy under the facade of protecting their bidders idenity from phishing emails. Ebay has probably just realized that it would be a good business decision to allow sellers to shill the hell out of thier auctions because it just means more and more fees for them to collect.  Everything else that they try to say is just a crock of f**king sh*t.  Ebay can go f**k themselves for all I care.  At this point its the only viable option, but come hell or highwater, the nano-second a suitable competitor comes along, Ebay will never ever ever see another penny from me again.

:twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:13 am 

Thanks  8)  I feel much better now.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:14 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:
I think ebay give every seller a random phenomenon that they can't figure out.  Mine has to do with not being able to view some listings.  I mean there is a price sitting there but no title.  I have to check on the compare box and view the items in the compare format.  If I look at my items in the store probably half of them I can't see.  Makes no difference if it's gallery view or not.  Same thing occurs if I'm in Badmike's store.  If I'm in the RPG category I can't see about half of it.  If I'm in the Doc Savage category I see 100% of the items.  Weird.

I hear you.  I have figured out through the year or so I've had this problem, it is something running on our computers.  For example, it doesn't happen on my laptop.  And on my brother's computer.  However, I've been to KingofPains's house and it's exactly the same on his computer.  Now, the interesting part, it only occurs on listings in the RPG category that begin with "AD&D".  Anything else is fine...it's like the "&" sign is screwing everything up.  I only figured this out through much trial and error.  Sigh.  I'm in the process of slowly removing "AD&D" from every listing, including AD&D items  :?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:53 am 

Sounds a bit unfair to blame ebay for this problem.... Could be due to a range of things.  It is impossible for any company to test all cobinations of web pages with all browsers and all PC setups.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:54 am 

improvstone wrote:Thanks  8)  I feel much better now.

I just noticed are have ebay changed their policy on being able to see what others are bidding on?  I can now only see auction ended items.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:28 am 

improvstone wrote:I just noticed are have ebay changed their policy on being able to see what others are bidding on?  I can now only see auction ended items.

Hey, you're right, errr, I mean . . .   :oops:

Putting a bid on the same auctions as someone else was always fun; I always wondered if the other person noticed that I was bidding on the same module, miniature, CD, and computer that he was.   :D   Yes, I have a strange definition of "fun".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:06 pm 

improvstone wrote:Thanks  8)  I feel much better now.

:lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:30 pm 

Putting a bid on the same auctions as someone else was always fun; I always wondered if the other person noticed that I was bidding on the same module, miniature, CD, and computer that he was.      Yes, I have a strange definition of "fun".

Actually, this was one of the easiest ways for me to find good items. Not to name names, but I wouldn't waddle through pages of items trying to find things, I would just look at certain D&D fanatics bid lists.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:38 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:

One MAJOR problem that I've had with my eBay store is that despite setting auctions to never expire, many, many do. It's not a phenomenon limited to me either, and I'm 100% certain it's not my error (believe me, I've checked over and over again).

It's funny you mention this, I was just noticing the same thing, doing a full inventory on my stock (Because it's the end of the year and it's been a LONG time) and I'm finding MANY items that I thought were listed that apparently had "timed out" despite my listing through Blackthorne with GTC as my choice.  Finding a TON of these in my slow categories especially, because I would never have noticed say a "GURPS" book that hadn't moved in 6 months since they sell so slowly anyway.  I have "caught" many of these problems through time in my quickly moving categories and at the time probably just blew them off as a personal error in missing relisting a duplicate item but now I wonder...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:54 pm 

Hmm,  maybe the problem is with Blackthorne?  I don't use it and I don't have those issues . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 pm 

"WHY hasnt a competion auctionwebsite been created, cleary its a moneymaking business otherwise Ebay wouldnt have gotten so big and arrogant."

A few have been tried, and failed. Ebay got into the game early, and getting any serious competition up is pretty much impossible unless Google does it. Or Microsoft, I suppose, but that seems unlikely.

In 7 years of eBay, I've had very, very few problems with them. I follow the policies they lay out, and haven't had them crap on me. Some of the policies are asinine at best, but it's their house, so it's their rules. Yelling at them for enforcing their policies doesn't make a lot of sense, imo.

I think the thing to stress here is that there is competition, but its not competition among firms, but competition for the entire market. Due to network effects -- that is, an auction site is increasingly useful the more people use it -- the market will naturally be dominated by one firm (in much the same as Microsoft Explorer, and before that, Netscape Navigator for web browsers.. bundling issues aside).

But all it takes is for one company to do things better than eBay. As it gains in popularly it becomes a massive threat to eBay's existence: after all, once the majority prefer one auction site to the others.. it will gradually capture the entire market. It is sort of like catastrophic entry.. hence the competition is much an all or nothing affair.

As much I don't like many aspects of eBay, they have tended to do things MUCH better than any other would-be competitor (for buyers and sellers alike).. and eBay does this because of they face the continual danger of losing all of their business to some upstart.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:19 pm 

I am going to go ahead and chime in here as well!  I love ebay!  I can hardly think of a negative thing to say about them.  They have enabled me to have a lot of fun and make extra money selling items . . . and they have helped me spend some of that money collecting stuff.  Though, I should point out that it is significantly less than I would have spent if I had to laboriously search it out without the benefit of ebay.  In fact, travelling more than 10 miles in search of collectibles is too far to search . . . I just would not even bother collecting anything at all.

Long live ebay!  You can do no wrong!  :D   8)   8)   :D   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:20 pm 

Without Ebay there would not be much of an RPG collecting industry :?

Anyway I will jump in and say EBAY SUCKS!! as well :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:11 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I can hardly think of a negative thing to say about them.    You can do no wrong!  :D   8)   8)   :D   8)

How about the ridiculous categories for Dungeons and Dragons?  Individual cards anyone?  Or their far too lenient bid retraction policy?  I'm sick of bidders who place big bids scaring away all the watchers and then bid retract at the last moment so the item is back to its minimum bid.  According to eBay rules, if a bid retraction is placed for an incorrect bid amount, then the buyer is supposed to place a new, correct bid.  But eBay does not force, via software mechanism or lockout, the bidder to make a new bid.  As others here have pointed out time and again, eBay does not enforce its own rules.  
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd much rather go back to the old rec.games.frp.marketplace days.  There was more transparency in the bidding process and more community among the members.  Yes, it was more work to run the auctions, but I personally enjoyed it from a selling and bidding aspect.  Paypal has certainly made life easier for payment, but I'd certainly give a cheer if eBay closed tomorrow and we all went back to frp.marketplace, used the Acaeum marketplace or some other community mechanism for our buying and selling.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 am 

So now you guys have to get your tickets at eBay as well?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/biztech/ebay-snaps-up-online-ticket-scalper/2007/01/11/1168105093692.html

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:51 am 

Reindeergamez wrote:
It's funny you mention this, I was just noticing the same thing, doing a full inventory on my stock (Because it's the end of the year and it's been a LONG time) and I'm finding MANY items that I thought were listed that apparently had "timed out" despite my listing through Blackthorne with GTC as my choice.  Finding a TON of these in my slow categories especially, because I would never have noticed say a "GURPS" book that hadn't moved in 6 months since they sell so slowly anyway.  I have "caught" many of these problems through time in my quickly moving categories and at the time probably just blew them off as a personal error in missing relisting a duplicate item but now I wonder...

Oh man, bummer. This thing has nearly driven me to tears, hate to see another good seller go through it. I'm absolutely amazed at how badly eBay has f***ed me over this time with this problem. Checking some of my cateogories, literally 2/3 of the stuff that should have been there wasn't.

Hmm,  maybe the problem is with Blackthorne?  I don't use it and I don't have those issues . . .

Nope. Folks have had the problem with manual listings, Blackthorne, SMP.. it's an eBay problem, not a single program feature. And believe me, it's not user error, I've checked and tripled checked my own stuff.

PreviousNext