eBay sucks ays yet again
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:17 pm 

Badmike wrote:BTW, the newspaper today had an article on calling places that don't give out their phone number, and then talkingto a live human and not a machine. Here was their method of reaching Ebay:

1-800-322-9266

Press zero at each prompt, then wait, and you will get a human being within a few minutes.

Mike B.

There is a web site somewhere that has an entire list of companies (banks, utilities, credit cards, etc) where they have 800 numbers plus the prompt numbers that get you to a customer service agent fast.

I'll see if I can find it again.

That ebay number should be placed in a permanent string!!! :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:21 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
There is a web site somewhere that has an entire list of companies (banks, utilities, credit cards, etc) where they have 800 numbers plus the prompt numbers that get you to a customer service agent fast.

I'll see if I can find it again.

That ebay number should be placed in a permanent string!!! :D

Ooops, it was in the article, I just skipped over that part.  Here is the website:

gethuman.com

The site has hundreds of phone numbers for credit card companies, banks, insurance companies, government agencies, internet providers, and other businesses; they go the extra mile and tell you how to slip past voice mail hell and get to a live person!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:13 pm 

Ebay raises fees at the end of the month......

Dear badmike3books,

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Today, I'm here to tell you about fee adjustments for eBay.com and eBay Motors which go into effect on January 30, 2007.
Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.

Core Listing Fees: Auction-Style & Fixed Price*

Fee Type  Item Price  New Fee  Current Fee  
Insertion Fee  Starting Price:
$1.00 - $9.99  $0.40  $0.35  
Final Value Fee  Selling Price:
$25.01 - $1000.00  3.25%  3%  

*Does not impact Store Inventory Listings.

eBay Motors Vehicles Fees

The fees listed above will also apply to Parts & Accessories.
Fee Type  New Fee  Current Fee  
Motorcycles & Powersports
Transaction Services Fee  $40  $30  
Cars & Trucks, Other
Vehicles & Trailers
Transaction Services Fee  $50  $40  
Motors Reserve Fee  0.1% of reserve price
($5 minimum,
$10 maximum)  $5  

To learn more about each of these changes, I invite you to read our Frequently Asked Questions and our eBay Fees Help page. (To learn more about Canada fee adjustments, please check the Announcement Board for eBay.ca.)

A Successful Online Holiday Shopping Season
As I've said many times, one of our most important jobs here at eBay is ensuring that we're driving buyers to the site. This online holiday shopping season was a big success, and I want to acknowledge the outstanding efforts this last quarter from our marketing team led by Gary Briggs. Our integrated "IT" campaign performed well for the second year in a row, reaching our targeted shoppers an average of 13 times per person.
In fact, according to Nielsen NetRatings, overall traffic to online shopping sites on the day after Thanksgiving (known as "Black Friday") grew 12% from last year--and eBay was the number one shopping destination that day with an impressive 7.5 million unique visitors. But the good news didn't stop there. This momentum continued through the weekend to "Cyber Monday" (the Monday after Thanksgiving), which has become associated with peak online holiday shopping activity. I'm pleased to report that Nielsen declared eBay the most visited Internet site that day, too, with 5.6 million visitors.

Of course, our shelves need to be well-stocked when the buyers arrive, so these results are testament to the partnership we have with our dedicated sellers. We can all be proud of our joint success in pleasing shoppers with whatever "IT" was this season.

More to come in 2007
Looking ahead at the new year, it's never been more important that eBay deliver value through our marketing investments, product initiatives, and Trust & Safety strategies. Times have changed from 11 years ago when we were a small innovative idea on the Internet. Quite frankly, some of the problems demanding our attention are more complex. But what inspires me every morning--and what I hope inspires you, too--is that the opportunities for eBay and its Community to succeed by celebrating what makes us unique have never been greater.
Later this month, I'll be addressing a group of eBay sellers who will be here in person in the San Jose area, and I'll be sharing some of our plans and priorities for the coming year. My keynote speech will be available via a recorded Webcast for our whole Community (more details will be available soon) and we'll be following the event with more announcements on specific initiatives. I think you'll find we're taking a surprisingly fresh look at some of the old challenges, and I'm excited about the road ahead.

On behalf of everyone at eBay, I wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

Bill Cobb
President, eBay North America

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 pm 

Badmike wrote:Ebay raises fees at the end of the month......

Dear badmike3books,

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Ooops, the table didn't show up. Basically, for auction listings under $10 the listing fee goes up 5 cents....the percentage of sales that goes in Ebay's pocket for sales over $25 in auctions goes from 3 percent to 3.25 percent.  
 The nickel and diming of the Ebay seller continues....After Ebay's latest fee raising late last year, the profit margin went up. As a matter of fact , if they hadn't raised the fees, the profit wouldn't have materialized.  So a pattern is beginning to emerge...look for a few cents raise to listings taking place at least once a year, if not more.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:48 pm 

eBay will continue to nickel and dime us until another credible auction site comes along.  I'm still hoping Google comes through with a global classified site a la Craig's List but easy to search and categorized by items not location.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:01 pm 

Badmike wrote:Ooops, the table didn't show up. Basically, for auction listings under $10 the listing fee goes up 5 cents....the percentage of sales that goes in Ebay's pocket for sales over $25 in auctions goes from 3 percent to 3.25 percent.  
 The nickel and diming of the Ebay seller continues....After Ebay's latest fee raising late last year, the profit margin went up. As a matter of fact , if they hadn't raised the fees, the profit wouldn't have materialized.  So a pattern is beginning to emerge...look for a few cents raise to listings taking place at least once a year, if not more.

So when does opening an eBay store become worthwhile, or is that another can of worms?  I don't have a large number of (or at this point any) items worth selling, so eBay auctions have always been the easiest to set up.  Is an eBay store that much more of an expense or hassle?

I'll RTFM, but what's eBay leaving out that I should know?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:15 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:So when does opening an eBay store become worthwhile, or is that another can of worms?  I don't have a large number of (or at this point any) items worth selling, so eBay auctions have always been the easiest to set up.  Is an eBay store that much more of an expense or hassle?

Ebay has tried to dissuade potential sellers from stocking Ebay stores, but it's still the best deal going, particularly now that auctions are going up. I think at least 100 items would be a good start to justify the expense.  I personally think the Ebay store is easy to set up, manage, and stock/restock, and is the best venue if you have many similar items (say, minis or comics) that won't necessarily sell immediately if you put them up for auction.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:15 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:So when does opening an eBay store become worthwhile, or is that another can of worms?  I don't have a large number of (or at this point any) items worth selling, so eBay auctions have always been the easiest to set up.  Is an eBay store that much more of an expense or hassle?

Ebay has tried to dissuade potential sellers from stocking Ebay stores, but it's still the best deal going, particularly now that auctions are going up. I think at least 100 items would be a good start to justify the expense.  I personally think the Ebay store is easy to set up, manage, and stock/restock, and is the best venue if you have many similar items (say, minis or comics) that won't necessarily sell immediately if you put them up for auction.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 am 

Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

I agree, I put up an Ebay store about a year ago and keep 100 - 200 items up at a time.  It's fun to sell your less than desiable stuff and extras.  You know the exact price it will sell for.  I have sold some pretty weird stuff and maintained good sales.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:56 am 

Badmike wrote:

Ebay has tried to dissuade potential sellers from stocking Ebay stores, but it's still the best deal going, particularly now that auctions are going up.

Mike B.

Bingo. Auctions are always a crapshoot, and you're out the listing fee if it doesn't sell. If you start it high, it's less likely to sell, but if you start it low, you could be shooting yourself in the foot. I like setting my own prices, for which eBay stores work perfectly.

One MAJOR problem that I've had with my eBay store is that despite setting auctions to never expire, many, many do. It's not a phenomenon limited to me either, and I'm 100% certain it's not my error (believe me, I've checked over and over again).

More info can be found here:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa? ... 93&start=0

Basically, stuff can get relisted without you knowing/approving, and more commonly, auctions that should still be going simply aren't. I've got a stack of probably 100+ books that SHOULD be listed in my store, and aren't. That's probably about 20% of my book stock.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:23 am 

GraysonAC wrote:

Bingo. Auctions are always a crapshoot, and you're out the listing fee if it doesn't sell. If you start it high, it's less likely to sell, but if you start it low, you could be shooting yourself in the foot. I like setting my own prices, for which eBay stores work perfectly.

One MAJOR problem that I've had with my eBay store is that despite setting auctions to never expire, many, many do. It's not a phenomenon limited to me either, and I'm 100% certain it's not my error (believe me, I've checked over and over again).

More info can be found here:
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa? ... 93&start=0

Basically, stuff can get relisted without you knowing/approving, and more commonly, auctions that should still be going simply aren't. I've got a stack of probably 100+ books that SHOULD be listed in my store, and aren't. That's probably about 20% of my book stock.

Interesting, I've nevr had that happen. Do you use Turbo Lister?  The default setting is "30 days" instead of "GTC" (until cancelled) so you always have to manually change this setting before listing.  Also,  sometimes the double list thing happens to meand I accidentally have two of an item listed on right after another. I find Turbo lister has cut down on this immensely.

Mike B

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:35 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Interesting, I've nevr had that happen. Do you use Turbo Lister?  The default setting is "30 days" instead of "GTC" (until cancelled) so you always have to manually change this setting before listing.  Also,  sometimes the double list thing happens to meand I accidentally have two of an item listed on right after another. I find Turbo lister has cut down on this immensely.

Mike B

I used to use it, now I'm using Blackthorne. Believe me, I went over every possible step where I could have screwed it up, and I didn't. Stuff was slated to go as GTC in TL, and in Blackthorne. It's an eBay problem that happens to people listing things by hand too.

The eBay forum thread I linked has a lot more info.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:36 pm 

Security Measure

Would someone care to explain?  Is this the trend for all auctions are just this one?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:39 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:Security Measure

Would someone care to explain?  Is this the trend for all auctions are just this one?

Last time I saw this was on UK auctions.  Is it now on the US site as well?  

Let the surge in shilling begin  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:53 pm 

Let the surge in shilling begin  

Someone should check on bclarkie.  I've read some of his opinions on this and, well, let's just say things are going to get a little verbal.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:53 pm 

"eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information."

I.e. we are losing money to people who try and get around our rules.

Similarly, they've killed the ability for eBay members to contact other members, if no sale was recorded, for this same purpose.

Last edited by Sea-to-sky-games on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:58 pm 

Let the surge in shilling begin

I think eBay knows that it is very difficult to enforce their anti-schill bidding rules. They were primarily imposed to give buyers a feeling of fairness.

I figure they care more about the money they lose than whatever loss (in the perception) of fairness results. And even so, they are doing this under the pretense of "protecting the buyer". On the margin, they get more money if schill bidding occurs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:23 pm 

I think hiding usernames on Ebay makes excellent sense for Ebay too.  First off as has been said already, it makes it easier for sellers to shill their auctions and increase the price.  Second it protects the buyers from getting second chance phishing emails after a big ticket item.  I'm sure that is Ebay's excuse for implementing this.

PreviousNext