eBay sucks ays yet again
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:18 pm 

Can you believe they just ended 10 of my auctions HOURS before the end? The excuse: I listed I can accept credit card payments for purchases over $10.
Pretty sure I'm all done with the Paypal thing. I won't list it as an option, but Acaeum members would obviously be able to use it. Sick and tired of playing their game and getting railroaded into giving them money.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:21 pm 

Oh, they sent yet another excuse. Western Union. Seems they only want to allow "safe" forms of payment. They allow cash and checks, but Western Union is too dangerous.
YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:50 pm 

So, what are the sale terms for eBay these days?  I may consider listing on another service when I get off my butt and start to sell stuff....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:05 pm 

Even PayPal is viscious.  Their chunk is especially hard to swallow on the big transactions.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:39 pm 

Their terms are a joke. They allow cash, but Western Union is insecure? WTF is that all about?
The part that REALLY pisses me off is that all the descriptions are gone now, since the auction is nonexistent. They don't even send a message saying "Please edit your auction". Just yank it.
Where the fuk are these guys for PDF auctions?
I'd pay TWICE the listing fees without blinking if a new auction venue came along.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:50 pm 

Am hoping Google gets its auction site up sometime soon.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:38 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Their terms are a joke. They allow cash, but Western Union is insecure? WTF is that all about?
The part that REALLY pisses me off is that all the descriptions are gone now, since the auction is nonexistent. They don't even send a message saying "Please edit your auction". Just yank it.
Where the fuk are these guys for PDF auctions?
I'd pay TWICE the listing fees without blinking if a new auction venue came along.

You have to "follow the money".  Ebay publically insulted google by not accepting google wallet as a payment plan, yet in my business pages I see both companies are close tocompleteing a multi billion dollar deal for ad revenue. So, Ebay doesn't trust Google enough to handle your money, but trust them enough to advertise a billion dollars worth of pop ups with?  Ridiculous.  If Western Union was to enter in some kind of business deal with Ebay you bet they would accept payment from them whatever the risk.  Unfortunately it's the cost of doing businss with a practical monopoly like Ebay.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:10 am 

Ebay does not allow Western Union because that is in competition with Paypal and since Ebay owns Paypal welll.... With all the bad press about ebay, disgruntled users, and increasing fees again and again (while ebays robbing your left pocket, paypal is robbing your right pocket at the same time) considering ebays success and the reason it became popular in the first place, a place where COLLECTORS could buy and sell and not a place for WHOLESALERS and scammers to glut the listings WHY hasnt a competion auctionwebsite been created, cleary its a moneymaking business otherwise Ebay wouldnt have gotten so big and arrogant. It would be nice to see a RPG only auctionsite in the future for collectors.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:06 am 

Plaag wrote:Am hoping Google gets its auction site up sometime soon.

ShaneG.

afaik google already owns its own payment system "google checkout" but ebay refused to accept it as it's not yet as safe as paypal... (lastest update i got was at beginning of sept)  :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:51 am 

So Microsoft gets sued for the exact same tactics as eBay uses. I am always amused at how our government works. Or doesn't, in most cases. We must be the laughingstock of the world.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:37 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:So Microsoft gets sued for the exact same tactics as eBay uses. I am always amused at how our government works. Or doesn't, in most cases. We must be the laughingstock of the world.

ummm no i think we are that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:36 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:WHY hasnt a competion auctionwebsite been created, cleary its a moneymaking business otherwise Ebay wouldnt have gotten so big and arrogant.

A few have been tried, and failed. Ebay got into the game early, and getting any serious competition up is pretty much impossible unless Google does it. Or Microsoft, I suppose, but that seems unlikely.

In 7 years of eBay, I've had very, very few problems with them. I follow the policies they lay out, and haven't had them crap on me. Some of the policies are asinine at best, but it's their house, so it's their rules. Yelling at them for enforcing their policies doesn't make a lot of sense, imo.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:58 am 

ebay has enabled "junk worth nothing" to become "junk worth something".

It's allowed thousands of sellers to create an online business.

It's allowed thousands more stores to expand their businesses and sell their otherwise "unsellable" inventory.

It's allowed millions to get rid of their "junk" so they don't have to sell it for $1 at a yard sale . . . throw it out . . . dontate it . . . or, worst of all, have some local store offer them $10% of the value.

And, it's allowed countless buyers (including everyone here) to acquire many items at fantastic prices!  Take a look at your collections - try to estimate how much it would have all cost you if you had to use "conventional" means to get them (mail order, travelling to stores, going to cons).  Not only would the prices paid be exorbitantly higher, but don't forget all the travel costs you would incur!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:02 am 

Yeah, what he said ;)

If someone else offers up a similar service, I think a lot of folks here would try it out at least. But in the meantime, eBay has done far, far more good for the collecting hobby than anything else has, ever.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:13 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:Ebay does not allow Western Union because that is in competition with Paypal and since Ebay owns Paypal welll....

eBay isn't a charity, and they didn't buy PayPal so that they could avoid chances to profit by it. WU is way, way more expensive than PayPal as well, so I'm not sure what the problem is there. Back before PayPal, I had a lot of payments go through WU, and their fees were heinous.

PayPal's fees are pretty modest. If they weren't, there wouldn't be enough people using them to create such a large amount of noise ;)

Their chunk is especially hard to swallow on the big transactions.

Huh? The proportion of the fee goes down as the size of the transaction goes up. The small transactions suck, sometimes costing 5%+ for an <$10. It steadily goes down from there.

considering ebays success and the reason it became popular in the first place, a place where COLLECTORS could buy and sell

Not really, no. Collectors are a pretty tiny segment of the population. Even before the massive amount of wholesalers, common household stuff was far more prevalent than collector's items. eBay started as, and always has been, primarily a place for people to sell random stuff. It's the biggest flea market on the planet ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:38 am 

He must have eBay stock.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:31 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Oh, they sent yet another excuse. Western Union.

Are we talking about the BidPay money orders? If so, that ban was announced at least as far back as February:

Short thread here

Afrika Corps wrote:WHY hasnt a competion auctionwebsite been created

Amazon auctions ... crashed and burned in a money-sucking disaster.

Yahoo auctions ... apparently, charging no listing fees invites spammers. Imagine.

And numerous, smaller "specialty" sites ... at least 98 percent of which found out that their sellers eventually left to go make more money on eBay ... where there are actually buyers.

It has been tried, being the overall point; apparently, running an auction site is a little more complicated than it might look.

GraysonAC wrote:Yelling at them for enforcing their policies doesn't make a lot of sense

Agreed. Nor does complaining about how evil and greedy eBay is, then continuing to list auctions on the site ... over and over again.

Is eBay a perfect system? Far from it; there is room for improvement. But is it as bad as many of the threads here would lead you to believe? Not even close.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:11 pm 

BTW, the newspaper today had an article on calling places that don't give out their phone number, and then talkingto a live human and not a machine. Here was their method of reaching Ebay:

1-800-322-9266

Press zero at each prompt, then wait, and you will get a human being within a few minutes.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Next