Dungeons and Dragons - The Magazines, not the Game...
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:13 pm 

Just out of curiosity - I have seen listings on the individual magazines, but really, how rare is it to find someone who actually has every single issue of either Dragon or Dungeon (with or without The Strategic Review)?

"Hey, what was that puff of smoke?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:02 pm 

I am not sure on how many have the entire sets. I have about 2/3 of the Dragon series, but I only have a few Dungeons. The thing I don't understand is why the Strategic Reviews aren't worth more than the Dragons. I see Dragon #1 go for more than I paid for all seven SR's.  :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:55 pm 

I don't think it's all that rare - certainly not common by any means, but there are a few people who collect the magazines almost in preference to the gaming stuff itself. I have issues 1 - 251 of Dragon and most of the ones after that (I'm missing about 15 I think), and maybe 40 Dungeons - and I still need issues 1 and 3 of SR - but I think there would be several people with complete sets.

Now that you have all the Dragons, you should look at other gaming magazines - Polyhedrons I guess, and Imagine (from the UK)... and Sorceror's Apprentice, Different Worlds, Space Gamer, Tortured Souls, Dungeoneer, Pegasus, Alarums & Excursions... the list is endless. My favourites are SA and DW - even better magazines (IMO) than Dragon.

While on the subject of magazines, can anyone tell me the number of issues published for Sorceror's Apprentice? And, I have four issues of a magazine (fanzine really) called The Apprentice from 1976, edited by David Bermann - can anyone tell me how many were put out?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:04 pm 

I have issues 2-5 of The Apprentice. How many issues there were, I don't know. What issues do you have?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:17 pm 

I know many D&D mags and fanzines, but haven't heard of TORTURED SOULS! before (see Classifieds forum).

Anyone care to fill me in? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:36 pm 

Hi Devon -

I have issues 2-5 as well... we probably both got them from the same place (Teresa?)...

Grodog -

Tortured Souls was (is?) a British magazine similar to Dungeon, ie each issue contained a few mini scenarios. I only have a couple of issues, I think it was put out by Beast Enz publications.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:54 pm 

mdr003 wrote:
Tortured Souls was (is?) a British magazine similar to Dungeon, ie each issue contained a few mini scenarios. I only have a couple of issues, I think it was put out by Beast Enz publications.

Beast Enterprises (or Beast Entz)

12 issues.  They also put out 4 boxed modules. Check out listing in afterglo's list:

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/af ... index.html

I first remember seeing an ad for TORTURED SOULS! in White Dwarf magazine.

Ð

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:35 pm 

mdr003 wrote:While on the subject of magazines, can anyone tell me the number of issues published for Sorceror's Apprentice? And, I have four issues of a magazine (fanzine really) called The Apprentice from 1976, edited by David Bermann - can anyone tell me how many were put out?

17 issues of Sorcerors Apprentice were made stopping late 85 (All subscribers who had subscriptions remaining recieved a free copy of Pentstar by special arrangment with Adventure Games... LOL sorry I just read it not an hour ago)

Brette:)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:41 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Hi Devon -

I have issues 2-5 as well... we probably both got them from the same place (Teresa?)...

Grodog -

Teresa is were I got mine from as well.

12 Issues of Tortured Souls were made, there was also 2 issues of a zine before that called Tortured Souls also from the UK..

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:00 am 

Hi Brette -

Thanks for the info on SA, good to know there weren't too many in the run (they seem to command pretty good prices, and they don't come up all that often as far as I can tell).

Does anyone have any magazines in their collection not already mentioned above that they can recommend? Or, what's your favourite magazine? Mine would be Different Worlds - for the wide games coverage, and the quality of the writing.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:06 am 

mdr003 wrote:Hi Brette -

Thanks for the info on SA, good to know there weren't too many in the run (they seem to command pretty good prices, and they don't come up all that often as far as I can tell).

Does anyone have any magazines in their collection not already mentioned above that they can recommend? Or, what's your favourite magazine? Mine would be Different Worlds - for the wide games coverage, and the quality of the writing.

Regards

Mike

I'd like to recommend:

Virtually old of the British magazines: Tortured Souls, White Dwarf (till issue 90 of course), The Adventurer, Game Master, Warlock, etc.

Space Gamer by Steve Jackson Games

Different Worlds (so it gets two votes)

Dragon magazine

Sorcerer's Apprentice (still missing that damned first issue!)

Fantasy Gamer (a Space Gamer spinoff - just six issues but high quality writing)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:53 am 

beasterbrook wrote:
17 issues of Sorcerors Apprentice were made stopping late 85 (All subscribers who had subscriptions remaining recieved a free copy of Pentstar by special arrangment with Adventure Games... LOL sorry I just read it not an hour ago)

After Flying Buffalo quit publishing SA, Bob Liddil bought the rights to the magazine.  He published at least another 12 issues, the highest I have is #29 but there may be more.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:45 am 

I'd recommend Imagine magazine as well, that was the TSR UK version of Dragon.  Ran for 30 issues if I remember correctly, along with one special issue.  Other UK fanzines I'd recommend picking up include Dragonlords, The Beholder, Trollcrusher and Thunderstruck!  Early Judges Guild mags such as the Dungeoneer and Judges Guild Journal were fun, as well as the Pegasus while it lasted.  I'll second Different Worlds as worth checking out, even though there's little D&D content.  For US fanzines, the Abyss is worth checking out, though it mostly covers its own system, Ysgarth.  I also have a few copies of the Apprentice, though I don't know if I have issue one.  I might just have 2-5 like the rest of you... I'll have to check that out.  Alarums & Excursions I just couldn't get interested in.  Your mileage may vary.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:51 am 

McDuff wrote:After Flying Buffalo quit publishing SA, Bob Liddil bought the rights to the magazine.  He published at least another 12 issues, the highest I have is #29 but there may be more.

Was it a professionally produced magazine? More important, did it have the same feel and content of the original? When Space Gamer was sold, the new magazine had nothing to do with the old...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:01 am 

I have four Strategic Reviews, 3-6.  They aren't mint or near mint but they've been treated respectfully.  4-6 have a printed subcription label, But for 3, somebody actually printed my name and address by hand.  I wonder who had to do that job.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:21 am 

I've got every issue of Dungeon except 70 and 72, which for some stupid reason are being infuriatingly difficult to find.  Don't know if those were from TSR's time of no money to pay the printer, but that could be one reason.  Dungeon on the whole has been pretty easy to collect, with most issues going for cover price, or less.  I've probably paid $2-3/issue per average.  Even the early ones are pretty cheap, especially if you buy the first 5 or so in a lot.  I know on eBay they only tend to go for about $20 for the first 5.

Anybody else notice how for awhile the newer issues (78 and up) were going for insane prices?  People were paying like $15 an issue for those, but then the price went back down.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:30 am 

McDuff wrote:After Flying Buffalo quit publishing SA, Bob Liddil bought the rights to the magazine.  He published at least another 12 issues, the highest I have is #29 but there may be more.

Sotterraneo wrote:Was it a professionally produced magazine? More important, did it have the same feel and content of the original? When Space Gamer was sold, the new magazine had nothing to do with the old...

Professionally produced?  No, judge for yourself:

Error 404 - Not found

It had the same feel and content as all of Bob Liddil's products, in fact some of what was later published in Griswald Grimm's Little Shop of Poisons and Potions was first published in these magazines.

SA still supported the game system it was written for: T&T, but it suffered because they were written, edited, and published by one person.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:46 pm 

I really liked the four issues of Interactive Fantasy issued by Hogshead publishing in the early 1990s:  an attempt to create a critical/scholarly journal on rpgs.  The first issue was called Inter*Action, but the zine had to be renamed due to a conflict with a Nintendo magazine of the same name.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Next