Alls Fair in Love and Collecting (ebay)
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:25 am 

Just wondering if you guys ever feel guilty about bidding against each other for an item you really want or against your favorite seller or against a past repeat loyal customer for a wanted item in auction?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:55 am 

No - but only because I never bid enough to win an item that a fellow Acaeum member wants!! :lol:
Seriously though - I think that everyone here is pretty okay with the way things are. Most (though obviously not all) items will come up again, and everyone has a price in mind that they want to pay, so it really doesn't matter wether or not you are consistently outbid by a particular individual; sooner or later you are going to pick up the item you want at the price you want.
Though , as I say, I don't win many auctions (and I don't even bother bidding on ones I'm not going to get close on), I am more irritated by 'fly by night' e-bayers that seem to come along, bid on and win loads,, and then disappear again (eg. coastiemike went for early dragons and empoweredguy was paying silly money for anything in shrink)
(Though there are those here that said similar things about Burntwire, and to a lesser extent Aneoth a while ago).
So I don't really think it's an issue - we have a community here of consistently decent guys who are all basically in it for the love of the stuff they buy; its kind of nice to feel a part of that.

(and as I mentioned on another thread, I actively follow a lot of the 'names' on these boards ebay activity, to save me the job of trawling all of the auctions - and I'm sure I'm not the only one)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:17 am 

No.  

But I did send a message to an Acaeum member (who shall remain nameless  :) ) not so long ago - when there were a few items up I knew that we both wanted - and which would both pay a fair amount for.  I suggested that we decide in advance which ones we wanted (i.e split them up) rather than bid wildy against each other and waste too much money.  That person declined...   and, well, put it this way - I am sure the seller was very happy.  8O

Similarly I do feel a bit guilty on occasions where I am second bidder to an Acaeum member win and behind me there is a wide margin before the third bidder. It has also happened to me a couple of times before - yes that is you I am pointing at Blackmoor  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:21 am 

red_bus wrote:No.  

But I did send a message to an Acaeum member (who shall remain nameless  :) ) not so long ago - when there were a few items up I knew that we both wanted - and which would both pay a fair amount for.  I suggested that we decide in advance which ones we wanted (i.e split them up) rather than bid wildy against each other and waste too much money.  That person declined...   and, well, put it this way - I am sure the seller was very happy.  8O

Similarly I do feel a bit guilty on occasions where I am second bidder to an Acaeum member win and behind me there is a wide margin before the third bidder. It has also happened to me a couple of times before - yes that is you I am pointing at Blackmoor  :wink:

quite a few times i have declined to bid as i knew someone really needed the item off here. if someone msgs me, i will see whats what. in the end, i will get what i want...even if it takes a while.

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:40 pm 

Afrika Corps wrote:Just wondering if you guys ever feel guilty about bidding against each other for an item you really want or against your favorite seller or against a past repeat loyal customer for a wanted item in auction?

If I feel guilty, I don't bid.  If I bid, I don't feel guilty.  I do my best to avoid unnecessarily bidding people up, but to be honest I don't think they notice as my bids are generally trumped quite handily. ;)

On occasion, I send a friend a PM asking what their high bid is, and informing them of mine.  If they want to beat that figure, great.  They've got deeper pockets.  At least we won't push each other's bid up.  (I won't do this if I know both the bidder and the seller.)

I try to avoid bidding against someone if I'm also currently bidding on something they're selling, for the obvious reason that they can take all the money from my incoming bid and put it towards their outgoing bid, if they want.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:17 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:If I feel guilty, I don't bid.  If I bid, I don't feel guilty.  I do my best to avoid unnecessarily bidding people up, but to be honest I don't think they notice as my bids are generally trumped quite handily. ;)

On occasion, I send a friend a PM asking what their high bid is, and informing them of mine.  If they want to beat that figure, great.  They've got deeper pockets.  At least we won't push each other's bid up.  (I won't do this if I know both the bidder and the seller.)

I try to avoid bidding against someone if I'm also currently bidding on something they're selling, for the obvious reason that they can take all the money from my incoming bid and put it towards their outgoing bid, if they want.

I don't generally bid on anything...I prefer BIN....but when I do, I try everything possible not to bid against people who have bought from me in the past.  There is nothing crappier than bidding up an auction against a customer, then relisting the items a few days later at a mark up. Personally I'd refuse to deal with such a seller.  Unless it was for my personal collection and not for resale, I would make every attempt not to drive up bids like that. As Frank is fond of saying, there is ALWAYS another one....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 pm 

I bid on so much stuff from ebay (the vast majority for resale) that I've inevitably bid against users many, many times.  Of course, I've let a lot of things pass by because I saw an acaeum user with a current high bid . . . but,  honestly, 99% of my bids are snipes set well before the auction ends, so I don't even know what the competition is.

To be fair, though, if I win an auction (and I win a lot of them!) I'm going to sell the contents for double/triple or more . . . which means, the auction went well below it's value.   I may feel a little bad if it's someone I know whose bid I sniped . . . but they were obviously trying to get a cheap deal themselves!  If they had bid closer to the actual value, then they wouldn't have gotten outbid.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:51 pm 

red_bus wrote:No.  

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Happened more than a few times with you guys :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm 

:D  well, it is a small collecting market - would be hard to avoid sometimes.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:52 pm 

I think it is perfectly acceptable to bid against other members or whoever. I have won and lost items to members...so what, that's ebay. For simple common items, i will generally let it pass if a member is bidding. I don't feel it is legit to discuss bidding with anyone while an item is in play - members or otherwise. No sense adding impropriety to the party.

What I do not do is watch bid lists from other members or ask sellers to end auctions early for an off ebay deal - never have, never will. If there are no bidders, I have asked if the seller was interested in a BIN.

In more that seven years, I have never done an off ebay deal from a listing. Not once.

To me, this stuff is a hobby. Nothing more. It certainly isn't anything worth losing my honor over. Nor is it worth pissing off fellow members on this forum.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:32 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I think it is perfectly acceptable to bid against other members or whoever. I have won and lost items to members...so what, that's ebay. For simple common items, i will generally let it pass if a member is bidding. I don't feel it is legit to discuss bidding with anyone while an item is in play - members or otherwise. No sense adding impropriety to the party.

What I do not do is watch bid lists from other members or ask sellers to end auctions early for an off ebay deal - never have, never will. If there are no bidders, I have asked if the seller was interested in a BIN.

In more that seven years, I have never done an off ebay deal from a listing. Not once.

To me, this stuff is a hobby. Nothing more. It certainly isn't anything worth losing my honor over. Nor is it worth pissing off fellow members on this forum.

Geez.  You're a frickin' paladin.  How do you actually win anything? :D

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:57 pm 

I just win all the crap nobody else wants. Don't mind me, I am just the little fish in the tank with lots of sharks.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:04 am 

bbarsh wrote:I just win all the crap nobody else wants. Don't mind me, I am just the little fish in the tank with lots of sharks.

well i just swim in a different tank :)

i give up trying to compete with the major hitters for the rarer stuff.

that said - me n deimos had a right blast last night over on DF playing an online D&D game which was really funny.

most fun i have had in ages and it beat trawling through ebay hands down.

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:39 pm 

i honestly don't look at the current bidders while watching items i plan to bid on.  however, reviewing the last few items i've bid on i've noticed i have bid against a few acaeum members.  i don't think they're too upset, unless they're harboring some kind of festering and silent grudge  :wink:

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:02 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:which means, the auction went well below it's value.   I may feel a little bad if it's someone I know whose bid I sniped . . . but they were obviously trying to get a cheap deal themselves!  If they had bid closer to the actual value, then they wouldn't have gotten outbid.

Yeah, ditto for me. As a reseller, my max bids are always well below the actual value of the item. If I win the auction, it's because nobody else wanted to pay close to the real value ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:25 am 

dsaunders wrote:i honestly don't look at the current bidders while watching items i plan to bid on.  however, reviewing the last few items i've bid on i've noticed i have bid against a few acaeum members.  i don't think they're too upset, unless they're harboring some kind of festering and silent grudge  :wink:

My collection of AD&D books is surpassed only by my collection of festering silent grudges. Senility has begun to settle in already however, the poor little guys wander around in my head snarling and growling without a clue as to whom they are going to get back at some future day.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:25 pm 

dsaunders wrote:i honestly don't look at the current bidders while watching items i plan to bid on.  however, reviewing the last few items i've bid on i've noticed i have bid against a few acaeum members.  i don't think they're too upset, unless they're harboring some kind of festering and silent grudge  :wink:

I only do so if it helps when I look at previous wins they had and what type of bidding pattern if any. But mostly I just try and snipe what I truely want, and maybe nudge something that I would like for cheap but don't care if I lose.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own