Overall impression: downturn period for collectors?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:02 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:
Well, if you ever come across another one...  :wink:

Sure thing 8)   Its one of the toughest to find.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:22 am 

hey guys, i come back here just to ask you if this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

is not an evident message of what i meant a couple of weeks ago... com'on! ok it's not the finest 5th print i've ever seen, but anyway: don't you think the price should be a bit higher???

(btw, it's for me a "nice find"... but this is not the matter i want to discuss here)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:07 am 

Joining this discussion slightly late...

The start of school and the end of the convention season has cut into a lot of people's cash.

I know it did mine.  I went a bit nuts over the summer (for me, that is).

I have been out of cash and up to my ears in Individual Education Plans, as well as graduate school.  I have not bought anything on Ebay for a month.

Also, there was a jump in prices over the past year.  The market may be correcting itself.

Anyone seen Marlith or Faro?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:14 am 

i fully agree with you mark!

and this is the latest confirmation to my impression:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0031627745

a couple of months ago i was pretty sure that this auction would have ended over 100 USD treshold!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:52 am 

aia wrote:

a couple of months ago i was pretty sure that this auction would have ended over 100 USD treshold!

And you'd be correct.  However, what you're observing is a seasonal effect, not a downturn in the market.  

It's not surprising to see the OCE price drop in the fall.  Many collectors have spent their play money already at Gencon, and/or are saving up for the rares that invariably appear just before Christmas.

If you're looking for one, buy it now -- the price will undoubtedly climb again.  In my opinion, judging the overall market based on the OCE alone is not wise -- it's highly variable.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:And you'd be correct.  However, what you're observing is a seasonal effect, not a downturn in the market.  

It's not surprising to see the OCE price drop in the fall.  Many collectors have spent their play money already at Gencon, and/or are saving up for the rares that invariably appear just before Christmas.

If you're looking for one, buy it now -- the price will undoubtedly climb again.  In my opinion, judging the overall market based on the OCE alone is not wise -- it's highly variable.

It's the typical fall swoon...September was brutal for me, the second week was the absolute worst week of the year so far.  Prices will go up the farther we get from Gencon, Origins and convention season, and closer to the holidays.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:29 pm 

I do think Gencon has an effect, but I just won a couple auctions that I just took a blind stab at.

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

scroll all the way down on the last one.  8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm 

bbarsh wrote:

scroll all the way down on the last one.  8O

Git! :D - I'm amazed that it didn't go for more as it had clearly been spotted (BTB put in a bid and eyeofvecna is on a lot of stuff atm). I'm particularly irritated because Bbarsh is one of the bidder lists I generally follow and I never noticed this one :x )

(Oh and I mean 'git' in a nice way of course - no offense :D )

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:11 am 

even if we're speaking of normal seasonality, then i've never seen a similar period... i'm in since two years (at least) and in previous years i didnt realized such a depression in sept...

look at that for instance:

i wonder why should i list smtg similar being aware that it'll be sold for 1/3 of its usual realized gain???  8O (don't want to mean anything specific against brian, however!  :P )

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:46 am 

Perhaps a ripple from the huge slowdown in the U.S. housing market? I said this before and I was joking, but it could have an effect. Housing prices have mostly stopped appreciating, and in some places are going down (especially when inflation is included), so some folks have less 'fun money' (there have been a lot of loans based on the inflated housing prices). Just a thought. The used RPG market will probably change weekly. Anyway, as they are saying about housing, "it's a buyer's market".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:53 am 

The thing about the role-playing collector market is....

It is not that large of a community.  How many active Acaeum members are there worldwide?

When mention of a product line on this forum can more than double the price of that product line for the next five months, you gotta know that it's a small world.

I have noticed  over the past year how the arrival of as few as five or six new collectors on ebay can drive prices up.  A dozen newbies with cash can triple the market.

I also have noticed a seller/buyer backlash that takes place when prices have been inflated.  A number of duplicates will appear on Ebay at starting prices well above their value...and I can picture the puzzled sellers who cannot understand why their auctions are not attracting bidders.  When one sets a starting price based on store prices, or aberations in high bidding, frustration will result...especially as those newbies become either wise or satiated.

They mostly come out at night...mostly.

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:56 pm 

gyg wrote:
Git! :D - I'm amazed that it didn't go for more as it had clearly been spotted (BTB put in a bid and eyeofvecna is on a lot of stuff atm). I'm particularly irritated because Bbarsh is one of the bidder lists I generally follow and I never noticed this one :x )

(Oh and I mean 'git' in a nice way of course - no offense :D )

I hate that bidder list thing...I have never checked another person's biider list...ever.

Not very sporting in my opinion.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:09 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:The thing about the role-playing collector market is....

It is not that large of a community.  How many active Acaeum members are there worldwide?

When mention of a product line on this forum can more than double the price of that product line for the next five months, you gotta know that it's a small world.

I have noticed  over the past year how the arrival of as few as five or six new collectors on ebay can drive prices up.  A dozen newbies with cash can triple the market.

I also have noticed a seller/buyer backlash that takes place when prices have been inflated.  A number of duplicates will appear on Ebay at starting prices well above their value...and I can picture the puzzled sellers who cannot understand why their auctions are not attracting bidders.  When one sets a starting price based on store prices, or aberations in high bidding, frustration will result...especially as those newbies become either wise or satiated.

They mostly come out at night...mostly.

Mark   8)

:lol:   You can really see that in MERP recently - where the auctions on some items have been verrrry hopeful.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:59 pm 

Speaking of market saturation....Fencert is selling off essentially entire Judges Guild collections (all the common stuff...all of it) for $20.  8O

Why not when I was buying them up?  :x

Meanwhile, other sellers are asking $9.99 starting prices for their Judges Guild commons.  8O

Mark   8)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:16 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Speaking of market saturation....Fencert is selling off essentially entire Judges Guild collections (all the common stuff...all of it) for $20.  8O

Meanwhile, other sellers are asking $9.99 starting prices for their Judges Guild commons.  8O

Mark   8)

Yeah, the market for the commons is strange sometimes. Fencert is trying to get rid of the inventory at a good price, and others really don't check around when they try to sell commons for so much.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:47 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Speaking of market saturation....Fencert is selling off essentially entire Judges Guild collections (all the common stuff...all of it) for $20.  8O

Mark   8)

hes selling his whole JG stock quickish.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 pm 

I have not had the time in the last month or so to scour ebay for SPI games.

I tell you what, there certainly is no downturn in SPI material. If anything, I see prices running even higher than just few months ago.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 am 

ok, it's clear that there isnt any "patologic" drop in the market but only a normal descrease in prices...

this is anyway new to me: another amazing example? yesterday's woti auction:

...the price is incredibly low! (and consider that i rose it by 10 USD!)

it's a pity for my eyes to see a minty woti sold for 26 USD...  :cry:

PreviousNext