Overall impression: downturn period for collectors?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:06 pm 

bombadil wrote:Didn't later printings of Don't Give Up the Ship come with maps of ships, or am I thinking of something else?

Like a separate maps sheet in a ziplock bag or something?  I don't ever recall seeing one like that but I've been finding out about different printings left and right these days.

I recently picked up a shrinkwrapped copy of TSR Knights of Camelot to resell only to find out when I got home that it is a different printing from the one I have.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:04 am 

...tnx everybody for the opinion!

one last question (of course, personal): do you think then i can sell the items i had in mind? or would it be anyway better to wait for the end of the month?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:55 am 

Mars wrote:
Like a separate maps sheet in a ziplock bag or something?  I don't ever recall seeing one like that but I've been finding out about different printings left and right these days.

I recently picked up a shrinkwrapped copy of TSR Knights of Camelot to resell only to find out when I got home that it is a different printing from the one I have.

I'm certain there's a product out there with JG style paper fold-out maps of ships.  Maybe I'm thinking of Sea Steeds and Wave Riders.

Ring any bells?

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:05 pm 

bombadil wrote:
I'm certain there's a product out there with JG style paper fold-out maps of ships.  Maybe I'm thinking of Sea Steeds and Wave Riders.

Ring any bells?

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0066.html

Sea Steeds and Wave Riders does, not sure if there is some non-Judges Guild product that is similiar.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:51 pm 

Fantasy Games Unlimited also published a Bireme & Galley book.
It contained a 22" x 34" ship diagram sheet.
I recall seeing it in use for miniature combat somewhere around 1980 or so.

Here is some specific info about the item:
http://theminiaturespage.com/rules/anc/b&g.html

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:00 pm 

Aia, I don't recall you listing the "items you had in mind".
Regardless of what they are, it is always a crap shoot. RPG collecting is definitely the wrong hobby to get into if there is a concern about making a few bucks more on a sale. Just throw them up there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:09 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Aia, I don't recall you listing the "items you had in mind".
Regardless of what they are, it is always a crap shoot. RPG collecting is definitely the wrong hobby to get into if there is a concern about making a few bucks more on a sale. Just throw them up there.

youre prefectly right! as a matter of fact my only concern is to see unsonld some of my auctions... i'd like to sell everything... :D not to get rich, just not to waste money (i hate to pay money to ebay for unsold items!!!)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:28 am 

If you are concerned with unsold items, you could always list the items for sale in the classifieds here and see what kind of offers you get and avoid the whole Ebay thing.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 am 

I have followed metal miniatures (Grenadier, Ral Partha, Heritage Models, Custom Cast) for a few months, and I have seen outrageous prices for the rare and shrinkwrapped items.  Some of you have been following the mini market for longer than I have and may be able to shed more light on this.  Maybe the prices for the rarer items are stable and not increasing.

More sets have appeared recently (Slave Auction MIB, complete Grenadier and Ral Partha boxed sets, auction lots of multiple boxed sets, etc.).  Loose miniature lots seem to be appearing with greater frequency.  Again, I may be wrong about the supply, but it appears to be growing.

A few new names (and none that I recognize as Acaeum members) have consistently started winning auctions for miniatures, even loose miniatures.  Are they collecting for personal use or speculating for future reselling?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:A few new names (and none that I recognize as Acaeum members) have consistently started winning auctions for miniatures, even loose miniatures.  Are they collecting for personal use or speculating for future reselling?

You'll see most of the same eBay names bidding on miniatures again and again.  A few of them are Acaeum members with different handles but they're generally not outspoken here.  
I've been following Grenadier, Ral Partha and Heritage minis on eBay for a few years now, and their prices are consistently on the upswing.  I think there are a number of reasons for this, one of course being nostalgia for the classic sculpts.  Two being the proliferation of plastic in today's minis market is making people pine for the lead, pewter and ralidium of old.  Three being you can't PDF a mini, either you buy the originals or you're out of luck (unless one goes through the laborious process of recreating the mold from an original).

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:56 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:I have followed metal miniatures (Grenadier, Ral Partha, Heritage Models, Custom Cast) for a few months, and I have seen outrageous prices for the rare and shrinkwrapped items.  Some of you have been following the mini market for longer than I have and may be able to shed more light on this.  Maybe the prices for the rarer items are stable and not increasing.

ahh! that sounds interesting! very interesting!!!
so, could you pls give me an idea of the present value for a SW box for example of these items:

* ral partha - denizens of ravenloft
* ral partha - planes of conflict

tnx a lot in advance!!!

coming back to the topic: i followed mars' suggestion and set a topic in the classified forum!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:29 pm 

aia wrote:so, could you pls give me an idea of the present value for a SW box for example of these items:

* ral partha - denizens of ravenloft
* ral partha - planes of conflict

I honestly don't know.  Dragonlance, Ravenloft, and Planescape miniatures are items that I don't generally buy.  And I don't write down the prices of auctions that I don't win.  Hmmm, time to start doing that.

That said, non-shrinked boxed sets of the Heroes of Dragonlance were going for $30 - $40+.  Maybe the prices were affected by the upcoming Dragonlance movie?

Ravenloft sets were also going for similar amounts.  Hamilcar has Denizens of Ravenloft New-In-Shrink (4 days, $3.25) up for auction now. I imagine that it could go to $15 or $20.  That's just a Wild-Assed Guess on my part.  Hallowe'en is coming up, so maybe it will get a bump from that.

. . .  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Planescape miniatures seem to be hit-and-miss.  I got some Mint-in-Package Planescape singles for $0.99 apiece or thereabouts, and I missed out on some that went for $5 or more.  Taking a WAG, Planescape boxed sets are on a par with Dragonlance and Ravenloft; I wouldn't expect them to be any cheaper.

Those are my impressions, anyway.  Feel free to correct me.

FYI: I generally bid on auctions that have 6 - 60 used figures and shoot for $0.50 to $1.00 apiece; I win only a small percentage of those auctions.  If I bid on MIP auctions, then I may spend $3.00 for a package that has multiple miniatures.  Anything beyond a used Grenadier or Ral Partha boxed set is out of my price range.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:34 pm 

Like anything, the prices on miniatures can vary widely.  I sold a Heroes of Dragonlance box for $90 a couple of years ago, though it usually only goes for $30 to $50.  Shrinkwrap will net a premium obviously.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:45 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:You'll see most of the same eBay names bidding on miniatures again and again.  A few of them are Acaeum members with different handles but they're generally not outspoken here.

Yeah, this is a Pen-and-Paper site.  Miniatures are a whole different animal, as I have learned the hard way.  Identifying an unknown miniature is not easy.  Buying a manufacturer's catalog from the 80's to aid in IDing minis is also difficult and expensive.

VermilionFire wrote:I've been following Grenadier, Ral Partha and Heritage minis on eBay for a few years now, and their prices are consistently on the upswing.

Nooo . . . I am not through buying mine yet!   :wink:

VermilionFire wrote:I think there are a number of reasons for this, one of course being nostalgia for the classic sculpts.  Two being the proliferation of plastic in today's minis market is making people pine for the lead, pewter and ralidium of old.  Three being you can't PDF a mini, either you buy the originals or you're out of luck (unless one goes through the laborious process of recreating the mold from an original).

Agreed, though one post from another site (TheMiniaturesPage?) mentioned that the larger scales of modern minis made his miniatures obsolete and unusable.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:19 pm 

I buy and sell minis all the time :D

The Ravenloft Denezins set should go for $40 - $60 in package, I sold one for $56.99 about 3 months ago that was opened.

About $5.00 per miniature for commons is not unreasonable for licensed AD&D minis.  I have personally paid as much as $90.00 for a single in package miniature (11-072 laurana) and sold several for more (Selune 11-086 $100.00, Raistlen 11-069 $150.00 and a few more)

Most expensive AD&D mini I have seen sold on Ebay :11-652 Molydeus for $184.00 (Single miniature in package)

Note all these were metal mini's from the past, not the new pre-painted stuff.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:06 pm 

I'll pay $100 for a Selune still in the pack if you have another, Jeff.   :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:38 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:I'll pay $100 for a Selune still in the pack if you have another, Jeff.   :D

I do have another one, it occupies a spot in my collection :D (Not for sale)

I do have lots of others for trade (11 series in particular), PM me your wants and traders if you like.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:56 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I do have another one, it occupies a spot in my collection :D (Not for sale)

Well, if you ever come across another one...  :wink:

PreviousNext