AD&D PHB spine
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:56 am 

i've recently received a 3rd print from a purchase on ebay and i was surprised to spot a detail that is not listed in the acaeum description of the item...
i compared the 3rd print with the 1st print i have and found that the writing "PLAYERS HANDBOOK" on the spine in the first case is white and in the second case is yellow...
could you pls confirm me this? (maybe colours faded so much that yellow is now white... but it sounds strange to me)
in case it is so, don't you think we could update the info on the PHB page?

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:06 pm 

aia wrote:i've recently received a 3rd print from a purchase on ebay and i was surprised to spot a detail that is not listed in the acaeum description of the item...
i compared the 3rd print with the 1st print i have and found that the writing "PLAYERS HANDBOOK" on the spine in the first case is white and in the second case is yellow...
could you pls confirm me this? (maybe colours faded so much that yellow is now white... but it sounds strange to me)
in case it is so, don't you think we could update the info on the PHB page?

Definitely due to fading.  If you compare the true white of the "ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" text to the faded "PLAYERS HANDBOOK" under good lighting, you can often detect a difference in hue.  (You may need to focus for quite some time.)

Depending on how much fading/greening the spine has endured, it is less obvious.  Spines are particularly vulnerable to fading, even when the rest of the cover appears unfaded.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:26 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Definitely due to fading.  If you compare the true white of the "ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" text to the faded "PLAYERS HANDBOOK" under good lighting, you can often detect a difference in hue.  (You may need to focus for quite some time.)

Depending on how much fading/greening the spine has endured, it is less obvious.  Spines are particularly vulnerable to fading, even when the rest of the cover appears unfaded.

Yep, I have a book just like this, talked about it too..shall try and find the thread.

viewtopic.php?p=60668&highlight=spine#60668
I first brought it up here.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:25 pm 

Yep,

this one has been trawled over quite a few times ...

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:38 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Definitely due to fading.  If you compare the true white of the "ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" text to the faded "PLAYERS HANDBOOK" under good lighting, you can often detect a difference in hue.  (You may need to focus for quite some time.)

now that i'm back home again i had a deep look to this supposed "fading"... let me say that's not fading... the white of the writing is just exactly the same color... in this case whether we have a complete yellow fading or smtg you never noticed...

errr... pic needed? :wink:

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:34 am 

mhhh... at the beginning i believed in this, but now i had a second look on it and im not sure its a question of fading...
what i want to say is that, im not sure what it is but its a fading effect, then trust me: now it *PERFECTLY* white! (and this is smtg that leads me to think its not a mere discolouring)
however: next weekend i'll take a picture of it and come back with it! :wink:

ciaooo