Lead Miniature Painted by Rob Kuntz?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:55 am 

This is OT for the CotSK/PPP threads, so I'll post it here.

Here's an eBay auction for an expensive and rare lead miniature.  The auction description reads, in part:

" . . . I was at Gen Con Indy 2006 (selling a few things at the auction) and one of the guest of honor was J. Kuntz. . . . When he was taking his turn at the podium he offered up this D76 Dragon. In his description of the item he announced that this figure was from his personal collection and that he was the painter of the the figure.. I talked to him afterward and he confirmed this. This D76 Dragon Tooth Dragon was actually hand painted by Mr. Kuntz. . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Tooth-Dragon ... QQihZ010QQ

The last Dragon Tooth recently went for around $100.  What would this Dragon Tooth be worth, and how quickly would my wife kill me for buying it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:57 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:This is OT for the CotSK/PPP threads, so I'll post it here.

Here's an eBay auction for an expensive and rare lead miniature.  The auction description reads, in part:

" . . . I was at Gen Con Indy 2006 (selling a few things at the auction) and one of the guest of honor was J. Kuntz. . . . When he was taking his turn at the podium he offered up this D76 Dragon. In his description of the item he announced that this figure was from his personal collection and that he was the painter of the the figure.. I talked to him afterward and he confirmed this. This D76 Dragon Tooth Dragon was actually hand painted by Mr. Kuntz. . . .

** expired eBay auction **

The last Dragon Tooth recently went for around $100.  What would this Dragon Tooth be worth, and how quickly would my wife kill me for buying it?

To tell you the truth, I think that this guy is FOS.  I am almost positive that Rob did not go  to GenCon this year.  I am sure that he can confirm that for sure though.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:29 pm 

Sounds like he means Tim Kask.

No, Rob certainly wasn't at the Auction, and I don't think he attended GenCon.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:22 pm 

Correct, Rob wasn't at GenCon 2006, though he will be there next year :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:26 pm 

I just sent a PM to Kaskoid.

BTW, the previous Dragon Tooth mini went for US$190.   8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:48 pm 

Whoever is selling that is FOS, indeed. I find it hard to believe that a figure as crude as that would fetch $190.

Rob should be insulted as the painting is incomplete and crude. I know, I did it. It had only a base coat of green laid down; no shading, no highlights, no drybrush, no nothing. I was a new, very inexperienced painter when I started that and put it away for 20+ years.

I don't want my name associated with that figure, and I did it. I am outraged that someone would hype something like this using one of our names. The fact that he got it so wrong is laughable.

I inten to contact that seller and set him straight with a good reaming.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:00 pm 

The following is the message I just fired off to this guy. Any of you know who this is?

Have you been smoking crack?
Rob didn't do that, I did. Rob was not at GenCon at the auction, I was. The following is a copy of a response I just wrote on a collector's website.

"Whoever is selling that is FOS, indeed. I find it hard to believe that a figure as crude as that would fetch $100.

Rob should be insulted as the painting is incomplete and crude. I know, I did it. It had only a base coat of green laid down; no shading, no highlights, no drybrush, no nothing. I was a new, very inexperienced painter when I started that and put it away for 20+ years.

I don't want my name associated with that figure, and I did it. I am outraged that someone would hype something like this using one of our names. The fact that he got it so wrong is laughable. "
For another thing, how can you label this as AD&D? When this figure was produced, there wasn't any AD&D.
I don't like the idea that you are trading on my or Rob's name. If you choose to do that, you should pay me a percentage.

Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:31 am 

Cardheros6wo6 is an Acaeum member, although he does not post much.

I have bought from him before.

He does not take PayPal and he did not leave me feedback...but he fulfilled everything else on his side of the transaction.

He just got the name wrong....Kask/Kuntz....easy enough to do, and a correctable mistake.  If he is anywhere as bad at names as me.....well...I can see myself mis-remembering the name.  (Not now, mind you, but a year ago...yes.)  

If he bought the item at auction...specifically with a gaming celebrity name attached to it...it does not seem all that unreasonable to sell the miniature using the name that adds to its value.

The paint job might make the miniature more valuable.  It would to me.  No one expects every industry figure to be an expert painter.  I would rather have a real piece from a real person than a "professionally" painted miniature without the same character and history....just as I would rather have a book someone used than a pristine, new book that they only signed.

(Thanks again, Tim...it is the prize of my collection!  School begins August 31st this year...can you believe that?)

Cardheros6wo6 also might be a bit slow to respond...I have PM'd him before....I suspect he does not check his messages that often.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:24 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Cardheros6wo6 is an Acaeum member, although he does not post much.

I have bought from him before.

He does not take PayPal and he did not leave me feedback...but he fulfilled everything else on his side of the transaction.

He just got the name wrong....Kask/Kuntz....easy enough to do, and a correctable mistake.  If he is anywhere as bad at names as me.....well...I can see myself mis-remembering the name.  (Not now, mind you, but a year ago...yes.)  

If he bought the item at auction...specifically with a gaming celebrity name attached to it...it does not seem all that unreasonable to sell the miniature using the name that adds to its value.

The paint job might make the miniature more valuable.  It would to me.  No one expects every industry figure to be an expert painter.  I would rather have a real piece from a real person than a "professionally" painted miniature without the same character and history....just as I would rather have a book someone used than a pristine, new book that they only signed.

(Thanks again, Tim...it is the prize of my collection!  School begins August 31st this year...can you believe that?)

Cardheros6wo6 also might be a bit slow to respond...I have PM'd him before....I suspect he does not check his messages that often.

Mark   8)

Yes it took him 4 days to get back to me once!
Things worked out though (so far  8O )

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:17 am 

That seller is not a member of this community. He does have a login ID, but he comes here only to spam our classifieds with his wares and nothing else. To be blunt, I think he is a fuckin douche bag.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:35 am 

MShipley88 wrote:He just got the name wrong....Kask/Kuntz....easy enough to do, and a correctable mistake.

True, but if one sells an item and associates it with a famous name, then the famous name had better be the correct one!   :D

And that's all the more reason to get the name correct.  With apologies to Kaskoid, Rob Kuntz is the more famous of the two.
The paint job might make the miniature more valuable.  It would to me.

The paint job may not be up to 2006 standards of "pro-painting", but it was done by Kaskoid.  This particular lump of lead is rare, and now it is uber-rare.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:40 am 

bclarkie wrote:That seller is not a member of this community. He does have a login ID, but he comes here only to spam our classifieds with his wares and nothing else. To be blunt, I think he is a fuckin douche bag.

:lol:

Guess this guy has offended just about everyone with his mistake.  You think after the email from Tim he would have changed up the description and apologized.  If he doesnt then obviously he is a douchebag.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:26 am 

He seems to have reposted the item sans any name-dropping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0021558215

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:36 am 

NetRodent wrote:He seems to have reposted the item sans any name-dropping.

** expired eBay auction **

I still think he's a douche.  :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:09 pm 

c'mon BClarkie, you MUST agree that it's increadaible and one of the highly saught (sot?).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:11 pm 

He has re-done the ad and immediately responded to me.

I am very sorry for the listing. I have cancelled the item and relisted without the text with your name on it. I apologize for listing the item that way, it was bad judgement. The D76 dragon is a very rare piece and I was excited to see that this one was painted by a very important person in the world of D&D.. I was not trying to misrepresent the piece. I just wanted the collector who bought this piece to know how special it was.. Again I am very sorry to have upset you and wasted your time.. Please accept my apology.

JohnGaunt wrote:

With apologies to Kaskoid, Rob Kuntz is the more famous of the two.

No apologies necessary; Rob stayed active in D&D long after I left it behind. Having just recently begun to correspond with Rob after 20+ years, I did not want him blamed for the paint job--it sucks. BITD, before my eyes went to hell, I was a damned good painter; that piece was a learning experience.

What really does upset me is the value of that dragon. I wish one of you that was there had tipped me off; hell, I'd have split the difference with you for the favor. I surely got way too little if it really goes for that much. I certainly didn't know that it was so highly SOUGHT(Ex.) after. Oh well, what's one more missed opportunity in a lifetime one way or the other?

As for fame, if I had sought that seriously, I would have lived a lot of my life differently. I'd rather be the mysterious "original" old fart. Man of mystery is a much more fun role than open book...

Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:18 pm 

He re-listed the item, removed the name and apologized.  He does not sound like such a bad guy.   :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."