Differences in content between mono & color modules
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:34 pm 

EDIT: I just changed the subject of this thread to make it more general. (It previouslyreferred to just D1-3). Post here any changes in the content/art/etc between the mono & color cover modules (including differences within printings of either that aren't listed on the Acaeum).

D1-3:

There is a group project on DF where they are designing encounters for remaining hexes in D1-3. Paul Stormberg has posted some interesting info on the content differences between the D1, D2, D3 mono and the D1-2, D3 color re-prints:

Paul J. Stormberg wrote:A lot of cool information was dropped from D1 and D2 when the combined D1-2 module was printed. Some of this information is only found later in the reprinted D3 when it's too late to be of any use! The stuff on beholders/mind flayers/wererats was dropped entirely!

MIND FLAYERS-- wererats--beholders

DROW--bugbears--troglodytes--trolls--ghouls--ghasts--shadows--spiders--demons

It is interesting to note that spider will not attack drow and are able to converse with female drow clerics 90%. Killing spiders is sacrilege and incurs their enmity and wrath except for 30% of drow encountered that worship the EEG!

Ghouls and ghasts report to drow nobles and serve Lolth. Groups of shadows act as spies for the drow for they are major creations of Lolth. (Note: both of these bits being dropped from the D1-2 combined module!)

Here is everything that was dropped from the combined/color versions:

Troll and troglodyte groups are Drow servants, usually checking on something specific or going to report for service.

Ghast and Ghoul groups are Drow connected. They report to the female Drow nobles and serve the deity of the Drow.

Bugbear and slave groups are maintenance crews going about their duties of clearing paths and passages blocked by rock falls or anything else.

Shadow groups are spies for the Drow, for they are the major creations of the Drow deity.

Wererat and Illithid groups are exploring and observing, as the latter wish to expand into this area despite drow resistance to this aim, although they do not wish any open conflict at this time.

Beholders are generally friendly with the illithids and will aid them.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:10 am 

Didn't realize they dropped that info.  Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:27 am 

I think a comprehensive comparison between the texts from the various editions/printings of modules would be a worthwhile project (just still on my backburner....).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:50 pm 

I did a not-so-comprehensive comparison between the two and this is what I came up with...

1.  Illustrations on Page 2 of D1 and D1-2 are different.  D1 shows adventuring party by and crane and rope bridge with donkey by DCS, while D1-2 shows a stalagmite filled cavern by Erol Otus.

2.  Information about Dark Elves is provided in D1-2 while D1 states that information is available in G1.  (page 3, 8th paragraph)

3.  About a 1/4 of an inch is missing from the the bottom of the illustration on page 3 of D1-2 and the DCS signature is moved higher on the stalagmite.

4.  D1-2 is missing the illustrations on page 4, 5 and 6 of D1.  The missing graphics allow the text to be compressed onto just page 4 and 5.  

5.  Page 6 of D1-2 now contains a large new illustration of a Drow by DCS and the sections "REGARDING THE LARGE-SCALE HEX MAP OF THE UNDERWORLD" and the newly named "SMALL SCALE ENCOUNTER PIECES AND PASSAGE MAPS" from page 11 of D1.

6. The section "Special note regarding Drow Cloaks, Armor and Weapons" moved from page 6 to page 5.  Missing paragraph on Drow Poison:

Drow sleep poison decays instantly in sunlight. Its power is lost after about 60 days in any event, and the coating on the small bolts and javelins must be periodically renewed with fresh applications of the fungoid substance. The Dark Elves will oven have small barrels filled with several packets of this poison, each sealed to insure the poisonous substance remains fresh for about 1 year.

7.  As in the initial post in this thread, the "Troll and Troglodyte", "Ghast and Ghoul", "Bugbear and slave", "Beholders" , "Shadow" and "Wererat and Illithid" sections are missing from page 6.  

8.  Illustration of the lich Asberdies on page 7 of D1-2 and D1 is reversed.

9.  Illustration of battle with trolls on page 11 of D1 is replaced by illustration of two dragons by Erol Otus in D1-2.

10.  The Shrine of the Kua-Toa chapter of D1-2 is missing the "caution" section from page 2 of D2 and is replaced with 2 new illustrations; a troll and an adventuring party in a grotto.

11.  "Notes for the Dungeon Master" section in The Shrine of the Kua-Toa chapter of D1-2 is missing first paragraph which describes movement speed.  The missing section is very similar to one included in the "Notes for the Dungeon Master" chapter of Descent into the Depths of the Earth although slightly reworded.

12.  The text from pages 3, 4 and 5 of D2 is condensed onto page 13 of D1-2.  The tables and descriptions relating to Drow are missing since they duplicate information presented in the Descent into the Depths of the Earth chapter.

13.   An illustration on page 3 of an umberhulk is replaced with one of three kou-toa and an illustration of ropers attacking a party is missing.

14.  Page 6 of D2 is not numbered.

15.  The illustration of two adventurers resting on page 13 of D2 is replaced with larger illustration of a larger party with a drow captive.

15.  D1-2 adds tables on pages 21 and 22 showing the stats, equipment and spells of the original tournament characters.

16.  D1-2 adds a monster manual style entry on pages 23 and 24 for the Drow and includes a small illustration.

17.   The detail in the illustration of the Kua-toan / Svirfneblin battle is much better in D2, the stalagmites are hardly noticable in D1-2.

18. The Svirfneblin monster manaul style entry on page 16 of D2 is missing the namer, page 28 of D1-2 corrects this.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 pm 

Thanks, NetRodent! ::thumbsup::

T1:

I took a look at a mono T1 (2nd print; pdf from RPGnow) and color T1 last night & I didn't spot any differences other than the art on the outside of the cover. (Trampier is replaced by Dee on both front and back).

Obviously, some of the revised modules were changed much more than the others.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:29 pm 

Netrodent, can you post a description of the back cover art on mono D1 and D2? (I don't have these). I started this list a while back in an old "1E Art" thread. I just made some revisions now that I have mono B1, C1, G3 & T1 and I'll update it further with your information.

Changes in Back Cover Art of Modules

Mono version --> Color version

B1 - Sutherland [watchtower of Quasqueton] --> Darlene [troglodyte battle]

C1 - Otus --> Artist? [different artists but similar subject - wizard confronting invisble coatl on pyramid; the front cover of tournament Tamochan also features coatl on pyramid by Sutherland]

D1 - Sutherland [troll, trogolodyte and bugbear "smiling" at the viewer]

D2 - Sutherland [wizard and a warrior looking shocked while a rust monster causes the warriors shield to disintegrate] --> D1,2 - Willingham [mind flayer/"Scarlet Witch" casting Color Spray]

D3 - Trampier --> Jeff Dee [Silussa Succubus & Belgos Vampire Drow]

G1 - Trampier ? [exterior of Hill Giant Steading]

G2 - Trampier /Sutherland? [aerial view of Glacial Rift]

G3 - Trampier [warriors with hippogriffs at entrance door to the Hall]--> G1-3 - mini pictures of front covers of G1, G2, and G3

S1 - Sutherland --> Otus [party with wizard about to put his head into the Sphere of Annihilation]

S2 - Otus [adventurering party approaching White Plume Mtn - same party featured in interior Otus pics] --> Willingham ["Elric" with Blackrazor sword]

T1 - Trampier [workers toiling in field around two-storied tower of Rufus the Mage and Burne the Fighter]--> Jeff Dee [Rufus and Burne in front of tower - same as 1984 PC Record Sheets front cover]

Thanks to deimos for the initial information on the artists for the mono back cover
Thanks to Netrodent for the descriptions for mono D1 & D2

Do the tournament modules (Tamochan, Inverness) have back cover art?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:44 am 

The back cover of the mono D1 is by Sutherland and shows a troll, trogolodyte and bugbear "smiling" at the viewer.  

The mono D2 is also by Sutherland and depicts a wizard and a warrior looking shocked while a rust monster causes the warriors shield to disentigrate.

The back of the mono C1 is by Erol Otus and shows the same three characters from the cover arriving at the pyramid.  A ray is shooting out of the wizard's outstrected arm at the phantom form wrapped around the pyramid.

The back of the color C1 shows the wizard from the cover, using both hands to shoot a ray at the phantom form wrapped around the pyramid.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:22 pm 

Thanks, Netrodent. I just updated my post above with your information.

I also changed the title of this thread to relate all mono/color modules (rather than just D1-3). Everyone should feel free to post any changes noted between the modules here.

I posted this in the interesting items thread last week:

C1:

I did a quick comparison of mono/color C1:

A single piece of artwork was changed. It's illustration #5 (Room 17, Hall of Great Spirits) and both versions are by DSL.  Either the artist or the editor must've decided the original could be improved upon. I do think the replacement drawing is much better (the original looks crude & hastey)

The maps inside the cardstock cover of C1 were completely re-drawn so that North points left in the color module instead of towards the top of the page as in the mono. Originally, the map was discontinous. The change allows for a map that flow continuously from the right side of the cover to left. The drawback is having North point left.

Not much other change to the content; I think I spotted one sentence that was added to the color C2. I'll add some more details to this post later.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:44 pm 

Howdy All,

The D3 color version: the B&W encounter map of Belgos and Silussa's grotto removes the chasm around the center island of the place. However, it is left in the text.

In an online chat room Gary mentioned in the original tournament some player's character fell to his death when trying to cross over to the island.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm 

zhowar wrote:Do the tournament modules (Tamochan, Inverness) have back cover art?

I don't know about those two, but Tsojconth does not.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 pm 

No and no.

Here's recent pictures of them, compliments of bombadil:

Tamoachan:

viewtopic.php?t=4517

Inverness:

viewtopic.php?t=4518

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:39 pm 

Accidentally deleted the content of this old post when writing the new one!

Last edited by Zenopus on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:38 pm 

*bump*

There a question on OD&D Discussion about art differences G1, G2 and G3 versus G1-2-3, so I just did a quick comparison and thought I would post it here as well.

All of the art from G1 is in G1-2-3. The back cover of G1 shows a larger version of the Steading shown in the Background section. The compilation only has the smaller version.

In G2, I found four pieces not in G1-2-3. The first is in the Background section, where a small picture by DSCIII of an adventurer rapelling down a cliff with a giant coming out of a cave is replaced in G1-2-3 with three adventurers walking through the snow by DSL. An illustration of Giant's Bags was deleted from the next page. A Trampier illustration of the Jarl's Trophy Hall (Room 20) was also deleted. Last, a rough pic of the Glacial Rift from the back cover of the module is not in the compilation.

In G3, the pic of the drow is different - the drawing at the top of page 30 of G1-2-3 is a redrawing of the original. Another very tiny pic of the drow was deleted from the bottom of the last page of text. There was also a full-page pic of the same Fire Giant illustration from the Monster Manual on the next page. A very cool Trampier from the back cover of G3 is also missing from the compilation. It shows two adventurers on hippogriffs at the door of the Hall.

The compilation also adds the following artwork:

New front cover by Willingham, a Dee on the title page (ice toads attacking a party), a Willingham at the end of the Jarl section (two adventurers, polar bears and a giant), a DSL at the beginning of Fire Giant King (two adventurers encountering two fire giants), and a Dee illustrating the Crystal Brittle spell.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

Good work as usual Zenopus