3rd edition about to go the way of the Dodo
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:53 pm 

Anyone see that it looks like 3rd edition D&D is about to become OOP.  I have heard rumblings about it on a couple of sites that I frequent. It also appears that D&D 4.0 is moving away from the FRPG that everyone is used to.  Post courtesy of very own James Mishler over at ENworld(its 6 posts from the top):

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p ... ost2992120

Granted he claims that he is only "speculating", but this is pretty much the same rumor that I have been hearing.  Thoughts?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:58 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Anyone see that it looks like 3rd edition D&D is about to become OOP.  I have heard rumblings about it on a couple of sites that I frequent. It also appears that D&D 4.0 is moving away from the FRPG that everyone is used to.  Post courtesy of very own James Mishler over at ENworld(its 6 posts from the top):

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p ... ost2992120

Granted he claims that he is only "speculating", but this is pretty much the same rumor that I have been hearing.  Thoughts?

James Mishler!  I loved Shogun!  Oh, wait, wrong guy...

Anyway it looks like Eric Noah got Stepped On for his "3e/d20/OGL is dead" rumormongering.  I wonder where this will go.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:43 pm 

(Edit: the post below has some more concrete information)

+++++

If we're talking about an announcement at this GenCon (which seems to be the case), then I'm hugely skeptical for three reasons:

1. I've got like nine RSS feeds coming in from reliable gaming sites that are on-site and I've yet to even hear a whisper of such a development;

2. Wizards/Hasbro has sunk a massive amount of time, money, and effort into the Dreamblade CMG, which is getting its first public outing at GenCon. A D&D 4.0 announcement would totally overshadow Dreamblade ... and I don't see the suits at Hasbro being that stupid.

3. In the PR world, most big announcements come on the first day of major conventions ... and the first day has come and gone.

(Of course, none of the above will stop a D&D 4.0 announcement coming out about 45 minutes after I post this ...) :)

Nothing against James, but even he admits in his post that he is writing "pure speculation." And I loved books like Centennial and Hawaii, so I'm going to give him a break. :wink:

What are your other sources, BC, if you're willing to share them? I think my grain of salt would get smaller if I could start getting some details from multiple sources.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:40 pm 

2008 at the earliest, according to a Gaming Report interview with a D&D brand manager:

Details here

The most interesting line, IMO:

" ... Wizards intends to utilize the history of the Brand more in future releases in both content and graphic treatment."

I'm hoping that would mean two things:

1. Maybe some more "Return to" type of adventures ... or more D&D Miniatures based on classic NPCs (such as they have done with Lareth, Mordenkainen, etc.) ... or, imagine this, maybe CDs or DVDs crammed full of high-quality PDFs of classic old-school material.

2. An entirely new graphics style. The whole line, beginning with the first Player's Handbook in August of 2000, has used a graphic treatment that sucks blue mud. Everything looks the same .... brown covers, fake "bindings," lots of encrusted gems and jewels. They are supposed to look like "tomes" or something: we get it already. (And note Goodman's success with its classic "retro" graphics).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:45 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:2. An entirely new graphic treatment. The whole line, beginning with the first Player's Handbook in August of 2000, has used a graphic treatment that sucks blue mud. Everything looks the same .... brown covers, fake "bindings," lots of encrusted gems and jewels. They are supposed to look like "tomes" or something: we get it already. (And note Goodman's success with its classic "retro" graphics).

Indeed!  I have to admit never really giving 3rd edition more than a cursory examination because I find the look of the books to be extremely off-putting.  Regardless of authorship, I wouldn't have bought Kutz's Cairn of the Skeleton king if had the look of most of the current crop of modules, the retro look was one of the major reasons I bought a few.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:[b]1. Maybe some more "Return to" type of adventures ...

I have been waiting for "Remember the Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun" or "Back to Bone Hill" for years.  :D

Of course they should really capitalize on the reality show craze and do something like "Survivor: Isle of Dread" and televise a bunch of guys sitting around playing D&D.  I'd probably watch it.  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:What are your other sources, BC, if you're willing to share them? I think my grain of salt would get smaller if I could start getting some details from multiple sources.

I don't have anything specific, like I said though I have heard whispers about the possibilty for the last couple weeks.  TBH 100% I can't say exactly where, because I don't remember specifically which sites it was. :oops:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:35 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:2008 at the earliest, according to a Gaming Report interview with a D&D brand manager:

Details here

The problem with that post though is really the same as James Mishler's.  Its speculation.  Obviously, I don't think 4.0 is going to be annouced at this GenCon as you noted if it was going to happen, it most likely would have happened already.  :)   That being said, its pretty evident, that something is in the works. When and where it all happens is really pretty much the only question now. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 pm 

An old April Fools day announcement for 4th edition and the d30 system:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp? ... x20010401a

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:18 pm 

I can't wait for 4.0. Ultra Triple Lindy Power Attack of Destruction at level 3? How can you beat that?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:29 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I can't wait for 4.0. Ultra Triple Lindy Power Attack of Destruction at level 3? How can you beat that?

ufff...
...simply with a Mighty Over Enhanced Bullrush with Penetrating Spells... easy, don't you think so?   :roll:

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:45 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:How can you beat that?

All 4.0 characters will be Chuck Norris clones.  With Dire Flumphs as pets.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:48 pm 

From the D&D seminar at GenCon today:

Q: Asked about the rumors surrounding a coming 4th edition?
A: We find them very Funny.... WotC does like to hear about what fans want in a new edition as some of the items that are coming out this year are from what fans talked about online a few years ago. When WotC decides to announce the release of a 4th edition we will give trade partners and fans ample time to prepare."

So I'm still guessing mid-2008. Although I also think B-Clark is mostly right in his original post ... I believe WotC is working on 4.0 right now — as we speak — but I also think they are giving it a loooooooong development cycle.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:11 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:1. Maybe some more "Return to" type of adventures ...

Following up ... this is from the same link mentioned above:

Q: Plans to update older modules like Ravenloft and Demonweb Pits?
A: There are more coming and WotC is looking feedback from fans on what they would like.

Q: Expedition to Castle Greyhawk coming?
A: Already on the list as items being looked at for production.

Interesting stuff.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:43 am 

Reading James' post:

I am struck by the idea that what he says about 4.0 coming out as a miniatures based scenario game is unlikely.

Such games already exist and have for a long time.  

Why use the D&D logo and the idea of a "4th edition" on them?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."