Announcing Six of Darlene's Originals at Auction at Gen Con
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:17 pm 

Greetings,

I'd like to announce I have sent six pieces of original art from my collection to auction off at Gen Con. I pray they've arrived safely into Frank's hands…

The task was difficult because I discovered I did not want to part with any of my pieces. This work represents more than just the beginning of my journey as an artist.

I worked in fantasy illustration for only about 5 years starting in 1979. I left Lake Geneva in 1984 to earn an MFA from Indiana University then moved onto other artistic disciplines.

At the moment, I'm at the top of my game in book design with many skills at my disposal including computer illustration, typography, type design, lettering and logo design. Since I do most of my work on computer, there are no longer any "originals" in the classic sense. Presently, I do marketing and graphics work for a fortune 500 corporation and our Division earned record sales last year.

In 2004, Gary Gygax invited my return to the RPG world and I've been fascinated to discover that my work was not only influential but has become somewhat iconic.* Having studied the language of symbols, I can explain this in alchemical terms. I am a beautiful, intelligent, and talented woman. As the only female working as an artist in a male dominated environment, it was I who added the spark that allowed a masculine, testosterone-drenched industry to ignite. Could there be any question that I hold the feminine component, the catalyzing factor in this equation?

That's the reason my early work holds value to collectors of RPG memorabilia. It's not only because my work is historical, not merely because it is rare--but because it contains the seeds which influenced the entire industry.

Darlene
"Our Lady of Gaming"

* Quoting from Michael Varhola (Nuisances  Skirmisher Publishing, 2004. p. 7): "It would be appropriate for us to acknowledge the contributions of Darlene Pekul… she is a fantasy illustrator whose work has appeared in gaming books for more than a quarter century and, as a result, has profoundly influenced much of the art that has followed it…"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:18 pm 

Hi Darlene---

What originals are you selling?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:41 pm 

To echo grodog and stormber, which works of Darlene are being auctioned and can we place bids remotely?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:07 pm 

Darlene sent me a pdf with the details, which I've posted to my site @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... poster.pdf

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:31 pm 

While not as significant as Darlene's DMG illustrations or the World of Greyhawk map, Jean Wells also provided illustrations for a few D&D products. She's on the Monster Manual title page in the list of illustrators. She seems to have worked on the "pick-up" pieces that were added to the fourth print, including Eye of the Deep (a personal favorite of mine), Giant Rat (Sumatran), Otyugh (with "Dave"), and perhaps Fungi, Violet (no artist sig). The Pen & Paper RPG database also lists her as an interior illustrator for B3 (where she was also an author) and A4.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:22 pm 

Hey...she's cute.   8O

Oh, and the maps were really good too.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:16 am 

grodog wrote:Darlene sent me a pdf with the details, which I've posted to my site @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... poster.pdf

very nice art - like the kraken!!

Al