Those adorable little packages of RPG items . . .
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:17 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
OK....I have a story to beat all the others here........

Back in June we ordered a book via Abebooks for my son to read for next school year.  

The seller was a used book store in, like, Maine.

So, roughly two weeks after the book was mailed, I picked it up here in Washington.  The package was very well sealed...an envelope taped shut with packing tape.

Since  most of the packages full of books that arrive at my house are for me...well...I assumed that it was for me.  (Also, my son and I have the same name.)

I was too curious, so I opened up the top of the package while I was driving along in the car.

UNDER the packing tape, outside of the envelope, but well sealed under the front flap was....a colony of ants!  We're not talking a couple ants...we're talking several hundred little black ants...complete with eggs and larvae!

Well, the ants started scrambling about everywhere, trying to save their young.  They ran all over the envelope, all over the car seat and all over me...each one gripping a larva or an egg.  I'm thinking, "Well, ants won't hurt me, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let these little dudes found a new colony in my car!"

So, I rolled down the window and drove home with the manilla envelope held out the window in my left hand....letting the tiny black stowaways scatter in the wind.  I had to hold the package way out the window so the little dudes wouldn't blow back into the car...or into my eyes and mouth.  

I actually felt kinda bad about it...they made it so far!

I was just happy my wife hadn't opened the envelope.  Any sort of insect makes her freak out...and several hundred larvae-toting black ants would have probably made her crash the car.  Then again, she wouldn't have opened a package in the car while driving.

The book inside was completely untouched.  The ants must have been in there for at least two weeks.  We had a good laugh and then we contacted the seller and told him about the extra passengers.

He said there was no charge for the ants, and that we could keep them.

Mark   8)

You have me beat....I guess my dead cockroach does'nt evern come close... :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:24 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Well, the ants started scrambling about everywhere, trying to save their young.  They ran all over the envelope, all over the car seat and all over me...each one gripping a larva or an egg.  I'm thinking, "Well, ants won't hurt me, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let these little dudes found a new colony in my car!"

Yikes.  8O

See any ants in your car since then? I recently dislodge ant colony from between two plastic picnic chairs...big ants, with big white larva. A week later I found a big colony of the same ants underneath a newly placed citronella candle on the picnic table. I'm sure they were the same ones I thought I had dispersed.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:40 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:UNDER the packing tape, outside of the envelope, but well sealed under the front flap was....a colony of ants!  We're not talking a couple ants...we're talking several hundred little black ants...complete with eggs and larvae!

That's definitely got everyone beat.  I wonder how they got in there and how they subsisted for two weeks.

VermilionFire wrote:Wow, was there still grease in it?
That's just pitiful...

There was still some grease but it had mostly been absorbed by the cardboard and newspapers.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:57 pm 

Zhowar,
Black ants can be nasty! A few years back I used a commercial product to soak an anthill fairly close to the house and thought that was the end of them. About two months later towards mid-September IIRC I found that they  had come back and this time had chewed into the sill of the house above the basement wall. Ended up having to jack up the house, cut out about a four foot section of sill and all the "extras" that go along with it (siding, painting, work on the inside to cover the replacement sill, etc.).   8O

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:05 pm 

I lived in a condo/apartment that was like on the 9th or 10th floor and once had a whole colony crawl into my bedroom and onto my bed. Glad I found them during the daytime, but after killing them and spraying down my windows they never came back.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:14 pm 

I feed them, and all house insects, to my 7 newborn baby ringneck snakes. I'd consider it a coup if I can train them to the point where I let them out in the house, have them spend an hour eating pests, and then slide on back to their tank.
I haven't had any real nightmarish packing, just idiotic packing, or lack thereof.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:34 am 

Received a package from a TOP figure in the RPG industry, who will remain nameless here (no it's not Frank Mentzer!!!!).  At some point in the journey, or perhaps before the journey, the box used to ship the items in had aquired a certain odor....which became more and more identifiable as the day went on (after it had arrived at my house and been unpacked) 8O .  It was cat piss, and it got stronger and stronger as the day went on  :o .  Examination of the box showed heavy stains up one side and down the other! A friend of mine who was with me suggested that perhaps the Top Industry Figure had whizzed on the box before mailing it to either show displeasure with my bids, or to "mark his territory" so to speak.  My friend and I proceeded to giggle for many days over the image of said Top Industry Figure dropping trou and letting fly all over the box...but I'm still pretty sure it was cat piss and not human urine covering the shipping box. And no, I didn't save the box to perhaps sell on ebay someday (Top Industry Figure's Cat Pissed Box would have been the title of the auction I suppose), nor was the urine stain in the shape of a religious icon, etc.  And luckily the stench/urine had not gotten through the packing material to mess up the items....

Mike B.,\

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:36 am 

It must have happened in transit.  WHo would deliberately handle and ship a cat pissed box?

Mike...PM me with the name!  Please!

Mark 8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:50 am 

MShipley88 wrote:It must have happened in transit.  WHo would deliberately handle and ship a cat pissed box?

Mark 8)

Well you got my attention too.  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:30 am 

MShipley88 wrote:It must have happened in transit.  WHo would deliberately handle and ship a cat pissed box?

Mark 8)

Mr. Shipley!  This is a prime example of why ebay's Advanced Search features are so important to be familiar with (remember, Mike mentioned "bid" in his description).

It only taken a few seconds to see there are only two "Top" figures who it could be.  :wink:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:44 am 

Mark 8)

I would bet the cat went on the box long before it was used. The urine had probably dried up and they did not even notice the odor since they have cats. If you have cats you get used to litterbox odor nd might not notice if they sprayed...and if they spray regularly and you haven't gotten rid of them you would never notice.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:51 am 

Marlith wrote:
I would bet the cat went on the box long before it was used. The urine had probably dried up and they did not even notice the odor since they have cats. If you have cats you get used to litterbox odor nd might not notice if they sprayed...and if they spray regularly and you haven't gotten rid of them you would never notice.

I have four cats (and three litterboxes in the basement!).  I don't even bother to keep cardboard downstairs - if it's gotta be stored there, it goes in a plastic bag inside a tote. (no books or paper items no matter what).  All my packing material stays in the garage . . . or strewn about the office floor . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:54 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
I have four cats (and three litterboxes in the basement!).  I don't even bother to keep cardboard downstairs - if it's gotta be stored there, it goes in a plastic bag inside a tote. (no books are paper items no matter what).  All my packing material stays in the garage . . . or strewn about the office floor . . .

Yes. Stored close it will absorb the odor as well. It sounds like that was not the case with badmikes situation though  :(

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:45 am 

Badmike wrote:Received a package from a TOP figure in the RPG industry, who will remain nameless here (no it's not Frank Mentzer!!!!).  At some point in the journey, or perhaps before the journey, the box used to ship the items in had aquired a certain odor....which became more and more identifiable as the day went on (after it had arrived at my house and been unpacked) 8O .  It was cat piss, and it got stronger and stronger as the day went on  :o .  Examination of the box showed heavy stains up one side and down the other! A friend of mine who was with me suggested that perhaps the Top Industry Figure had whizzed on the box before mailing it to either show displeasure with my bids, or to "mark his territory" so to speak.  My friend and I proceeded to giggle for many days over the image of said Top Industry Figure dropping trou and letting fly all over the box...but I'm still pretty sure it was cat piss and not human urine covering the shipping box. And no, I didn't save the box to perhaps sell on ebay someday (Top Industry Figure's Cat Pissed Box would have been the title of the auction I suppose), nor was the urine stain in the shape of a religious icon, etc.  And luckily the stench/urine had not gotten through the packing material to mess up the items....

Mike B.,\

Well, I think I laughed for a good 15 minutes straight when I got the name on this one,  Taking the name in conjunction with the idea that this person was mad at you for your bids instantly put a hillarious image in my head.  I can see it now, "Hmm want to bid on my stuff huh? F*ck this guy, lets see if he ever bids on my stuff again", followed by a slight water dripping on paper sound.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:13 pm 

All I can say is:  You should have kept the box!  You may have been able to action it off to someone from the acaeum for $20!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:16 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:All I can say is:  You should have kept the box!  You may have been able to action it off to someone from the acaeum for $20!

ya know...i laughed at that for a second, before realising that you are right  :?

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:30 pm 

Plaag wrote:I'm waiting for a giant beer can to crush him..

ShaneG.

Giant beer can...now THAT would be a nice surprise to receive with your purchase.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:13 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Well, I think I laughed for a good 15 minutes straight when I got the name on this one,  Taking the name in conjunction with the idea that this person was mad at you for your bids instantly put a hillarious image in my head.  I can see it now, "Hmm want to bid on my stuff huh? F*ck this guy, lets see if he ever bids on my stuff again", followed by a slight water dripping on paper sound.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Which is why my gaming group still laughs about this when it is brought up....I've been laughing out loud everytime I read this thread and see the new posts...BTW the guy who first suggested this idea was one Ed Courtral, we used to trade items back and forth years ago when he lived in Dallas, he hasn't posted here in many years, but I wanted to give him credit where it was due.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Previous