Those adorable little packages of RPG items . . .
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:08 pm 

Isn't it just the cuttest thing when you purchase a bunch of RPG books and they arrive in the prettiest little package.   :D

Felicia and Sharon just sent me the nicest little lot of Star Wars Galaxy Guides 1-12.  Enclosed was a cute little note in the most adorable font - asking me to let them know if there was a problem, to please leave feedback etc.  

The Galaxy Guides are all lovingly wrapped in tissue paper - each one the most precious little present for me to open!  It was all so sweet . . .

But not at sweet as the lady who hand wrote a personal note and enclosed a small bar of chocolate and some little candies as well.

Sigh . . . maybe we could all take a lesson and be a little more tender in our transactions?  I'm thinking of enclosing a few dried flowers in future packages I send out . . . just a little tidbit to brighten everyone's day.   :D   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:49 pm 

Appearently Beyondthebreach has cracked!!!!

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:53 pm 

I'm waiting for a giant beer can to crush him..

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:20 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:But not at sweet as the lady who hand wrote a personal note and enclosed a small bar of chocolate and some little candies as well.

If you lived in Texas, you would be cursing her over the gooey, smelly, sticky chocolate-and-paper mess that arrived in your mailbox.   :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:26 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I'm thinking of enclosing a few dried flowers in future packages I send out . . .

It is sooooo cuteeeeeeeee  :lol:

I am going to buy from you only to have myflowers  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:49 pm 

I got a package a couple of weeks ago and I coulda swore that someone had emptied an ashtray in the box before they shipped it.  Still havent gotten all that smoky smell out of that damn stuff.  :x

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I got a package a couple of weeks ago and I coulda swore that someone had emptied an ashtray in the box before they shipped it.  Still havent gotten all that smoky smell out of that damn stuff.  :x

Somehow that happens a lot more than flowers and candy. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:10 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Somehow that happens a lot more than flowers and candy. :roll:

Very true . . . I was teasing those sellers a little, but it's these kind of sellers who carefully package everything that are a pleasure to work with.  Give me dainty, thoughtfully wrapped books any day . . . and then same supposed "gamer" just shoves everything loose into a box that's falling apart.  :roll:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:51 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I got a package a couple of weeks ago and I coulda swore that someone had emptied an ashtray in the box before they shipped it.  Still havent gotten all that smoky smell out of that damn stuff.  :x

I just reciently got a package of around 20 books in a GIANT Tv box with the only packing material being 2 used towels.  The books were seriously messed up, and the towels were ... Ugh.

I'll take candy and tissue paper any day!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:55 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
Very true . . . I was teasing those sellers a little, but it's these kind of sellers who carefully package everything that are a pleasure to work with.  Give me dainty, thoughtfully wrapped books any day . . . and then same supposed "gamer" just shoves everything loose into a box that's falling apart.  :roll:

You certainly have a point.  Some sellers seem to take real pride in their packaging while others seem not to care at all.  The worst packing job I've ever had the misfortune to receive was used pizza box.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
You certainly have a point.  Some sellers seem to take real pride in their packaging while others seem not to care at all.  The worst packing job I've ever had the misfortune to receive was used pizza box.

Wow, was there still grease in it?
That's just pitiful...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:04 am 

I'm one of those guys that will pack the thing so nothing moves.  Case in point.  I sold a Franklin Mint Star Trek chess set on ebay, in the original box the board came in, with all the pieces in their slots in the tray beneath, and enough bubble wrap and newspaper to ensure the darn thing would survive the trip to Idaho.

Let's just say, my positive comment from the buyer was all about the packing.  WELL PACKED I believe was what he said.  Of course, it did help that I had the original box to mail it in.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:58 pm 

Since our bakery does mail-order, we do have plenty of bubblewrap and plastic peanuts, and our shrinkwrap machine occasionally gets commandeered for game items. But despite the availability of personnel, my wife Debbie still does all the game packing personally, to be on the safe side. The others don't really believe that a 25-year-old manuscript can go for over a grand...

And we do get a reasonable amount of feedback praising the packaging. Thanks; Debbie takes it personally. ;>

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:12 pm 

Has anyone ever received FOOD as a packing material?

I once recieved 'puffed rice' and another time had a 'Rice Krispies' type foodstuff.  8O

Luckily, there was nothing else hitching a ride (of the living variety).

:roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:55 am 

IttyBitty wrote:Has anyone ever received FOOD as a packing material?

Some of the packing-peanuts that appear to be styrofoam are actually starch.  These off-white/tan packing-peanuts dissolve in water.  They also dissolve on the tongue.   :D

I recently received an eBay package that had a card and envelope in it.  The inside of the card had a thank-you and the business name, but now I am worried that my wife will find the card and think that's its a love-note or something.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:If you lived in Texas, you would be cursing her over the gooey, smelly, sticky chocolate-and-paper mess that arrived in your mailbox.   :wink:

My first thought exactly!  :x

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:50 pm 

Traveller wrote:I'm one of those guys that will pack the thing so nothing moves.  Case in point.  I sold a Franklin Mint Star Trek chess set on ebay, in the original box the board came in, with all the pieces in their slots in the tray beneath, and enough bubble wrap and newspaper to ensure the darn thing would survive the trip to Idaho.

Let's just say, my positive comment from the buyer was all about the packing.  WELL PACKED I believe was what he said.  Of course, it did help that I had the original box to mail it in.

You collected something from the Franklin Mint?   8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:04 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:Has anyone ever received FOOD as a packing material?

I once recieved 'puffed rice' and another time had a 'Rice Krispies' type foodstuff.  8O

Luckily, there was nothing else hitching a ride (of the living variety).

:roll:

OK....I have a story to beat all the others here........

Back in June we ordered a book via Abebooks for my son to read for next school year.  

The seller was a used book store in, like, Maine.

So, roughly two weeks after the book was mailed, I picked it up here in Washington.  The package was very well sealed...an envelope taped shut with packing tape.

Since  most of the packages full of books that arrive at my house are for me...well...I assumed that it was for me.  (Also, my son and I have the same name.)

I was too curious, so I opened up the top of the package while I was driving along in the car.

UNDER the packing tape, outside of the envelope, but well sealed under the front flap was....a colony of ants!  We're not talking a couple ants...we're talking several hundred little black ants...complete with eggs and larvae!

Well, the ants started scrambling about everywhere, trying to save their young.  They ran all over the envelope, all over the car seat and all over me...each one gripping a larva or an egg.  I'm thinking, "Well, ants won't hurt me, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let these little dudes found a new colony in my car!"

So, I rolled down the window and drove home with the manilla envelope held out the window in my left hand....letting the tiny black stowaways scatter in the wind.  I had to hold the package way out the window so the little dudes wouldn't blow back into the car...or into my eyes and mouth.  

I actually felt kinda bad about it...they made it so far!

I was just happy my wife hadn't opened the envelope.  Any sort of insect makes her freak out...and several hundred larvae-toting black ants would have probably made her crash the car.  Then again, she wouldn't have opened a package in the car while driving.

The book inside was completely untouched.  The ants must have been in there for at least two weeks.  We had a good laugh and then we contacted the seller and told him about the extra passengers.

He said there was no charge for the ants, and that we could keep them.

Mark   8)

Next