Ethics of collecting.
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:12 am 

Let's be realistic.  The issue of friends shouldn't even be taken into account as it's largely irrelevant.  If you'd take advantage of your "friend", then I suspect you are not really a "friend" to begin with.

As far as items that are priced already . . . once the price is marked it's a fair deal with no guilt.  If you want to be a "swell" person and let the store or yard sale owner know, fine be a "hero".  :D   Me, I quietly walk to the counter and buy that Woodgrain for $10 . . . who wouldn't?  If not me, then someone else . . . they've already forfeited the profits as someone is going to snatch that baby up any second.  Might as well be me.  

We'd all do it . . . every SINGLE one of us . . . and it's best not to mention even a whisper of offering more as you might arouse suspicion.

Hand them the cash . . .  walk calmly out the door . . .

And . . . if you feel guilty . . .  remember that they probably gave some sorry bastard 50 cents for it, thinking, "Wow, I can sell this for $10!"

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:40 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Let's be realistic.  The issue of friends shouldn't even be taken into account as it's largely irrelevant.  If you'd take advantage of your "friend", then I suspect you are not really a "friend" to begin with.

As far as items that are priced already . . . once the price is marked it's a fair deal with no guilt.  If you want to be a "swell" person and let the store or yard sale owner know, fine be a "hero".  :D   Me, I quietly walk to the counter and buy that Woodgrain for $10 . . . who wouldn't?  If not me, then someone else . . . they've already forfeited the profits as someone is going to snatch that baby up any second.  Might as well be me.  

We'd all do it . . . every SINGLE one of us . . . and it's best not to mention even a whisper of offering more as you might arouse suspicion.

Hand them the cash . . .  walk calmly out the door . . .

And . . . if you feel guilty . . .  remember that they probably gave some sorry bastard 50 cents for it, thinking, "Wow, I can sell this for $10!"

Well Said!!!!

Chances are the seller made a steal off the item in the first place....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:45 pm 

I once bought a Tsojconth for $1.95.  I don't feel bad about it for two reasons:

1.  I had no idea what it was worth at the time, and I only found the Acaeum because I ended up buying it and wondering about it years later.

2.  I bought it from the same place that gave me pennies on the dollar for my massive D&D collection back when I needed to sell it all for rent money.  I figure I broke even.  Karma rules.  :lol:

YIM  
Previous