North Texas Acaeum Members Meeting?!?!
Poll: If you live in Texas or Oklahoma, would you be interested in meeting other Acaeum members one weekend this year?

Definitely, sounds like a party, ready whenever 25%       25%  [ 4 ]
Maybe, depends on which weekend we are talking about, need more details 25%       25%  [ 4 ]
No can do, too busy painting minis and polishing dice 50%       50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:26 pm 

Two more days John.....your life is sliding away like sands in the hourglass....my advice...

Hide Everything!!!!!

I'm planning on working on visiting a few game stores during the wedding trip (and ceremony), be sure to email me a list of all these establishments located in Sherman TX so I can get my route started.... 8O   There are lots of them there, right?? :D I'd hate to think we are going to drive all the way up there for just a wedding!!!!! :P

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:21 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Hide Everything!!!!!

Mike B.

Well obviously....too late now.  :D

Just got home from the wedding and dinner reception.  Had a really great time.  Cant wait to spend the next week in Orlando with Mickey and the rest of the bunch.

Everybody have a great week and we'll talk at you later.  Looking forward to the N-T Acaeum members meeting in a couple of weeks.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:37 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:2)  Grodog - is it no-go for playtesting in Kansas later in November?
grodog wrote:
Geoff---My travel schedule just got nuts (I'll be home 2 of the next 6 weeks), so we're probably off :(  I'll double-check the specifics you sent, though IIRC you said you'd be in KS the week after Thanksgiving, and I'll be in CA then for sure.  I'll double-check and let you know, though.

It's not looking good for me at the moment for the Texas gathering, and Geoff I'm definitely out for playing the week after Thanksgiving.  If, however, you're interested in trying to meet up with the local gang old JG/AD&D diehards, I'd be happy to put you in touch with them?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:48 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Well obviously....too late now.  :D

Just got home from the wedding and dinner reception.  Had a really great time.  Cant wait to spend the next week in Orlando with Mickey and the rest of the bunch.

Everybody have a great week and we'll talk at you later.  Looking forward to the N-T Acaeum members meeting in a couple of weeks.

See if Mickey has an orange B3 for sale.  And I've always heard Goofy has a POTVQ stashed away somewhere.... :D

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:39 pm 

Grodog:  If they don't mind making the trip to Emporia, I would love to play.  Slip me an email with contact information.  I would want to supply some PDF's in advance for prepping characters.

Where else do you go; I wonder if we ever cross paths in the airport ?  I"ll be in New Orleans, PHX, Washington DC, Los Angeles, and Omaha (at least) in the next 6 months.

Geoff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:56 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:Grodog:  If they don't mind making the trip to Emporia, I would love to play.  Slip me an email with contact information.  I would want to supply some PDF's in advance for prepping characters.

Will do.

Geoff Dale wrote:Where else do you go; I wonder if we ever cross paths in the airport ?  I"ll be in New Orleans, PHX, Washington DC, Los Angeles, and Omaha (at least) in the next 6 months.

I'm in DC next week, San Jose the week after Thanksgiving, and London the following week.  I tend to travel to SJC most, with outings elsewhere for conferences (just so happens that the KMWorld conference is usually in San Jose or Santa Clara).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:08 pm 

Mike:  Time and Maps ?? Maybe a breakfast joint along 183 to meet in?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:47 am 

Geoff Dale wrote:Mike:  Time and Maps ?? Maybe a breakfast joint along 183 to meet in?

We should nail this down....

The meeting is set for Saturday, November 18th here in Euless.  Even if you haven't participated in any responses before, you are welcome to come meet us, just send out a PM to me before Saturday so we will be looking for you.
  The meeting area is the corner of 183 airport freeway and 157 industrial blvd in Euless.  If you are coming in from the west, just exit at 157 and take a right.  If you are coming from the east (plano area) I would recommend taking the George Bush turnpike all the way SW unti it exits at 183, 157 is a couple of exits past DFW airport.  There is a Starbucks and a Dennys at the corner on the SE side for anyone wanting a $5 latte or Grand Slam breakfast.  It would be best to meet at the Starbucks, and then either head over to Dennys for a bite or just head to my house which is a block away.  There we can demonstrate our prowess with weaponry if Steve or anyone else wants to bring some swords, or just shoot the bull.  I can pull out my collection for perusal although it's probably not as impressive as you might think ( I have volume but not the depth....).   Anyone wants to buy anything, I have lots that aren't even up on the Ebay store, including my "sale"  comics...about 10 longboxes of old convention stock, it's prices are about 5 years out of date so you might get a bargain!
  When we get tired of that, we can head to Generation X.  It's one of the few independent game AND comic stores in the Dallas Fort Worth area, it's about a block north of the 183/157 intersection. Wayne has agreed to let Acaeum members have a 15% discount that day only on gaming stuff.  They have a good selection of new stuff, some used stuff also.    If anyone is interested in going to a Half Price Books, I have three within a 10-15 minute drive of my house.  The Irving store is lame, but the Bedford store and North Arlington store both have a large selection of used gaming items.  
  I will have some general snacks and drinks at my house, but when/if anyone gets hungry we have a brand new Dickeys BBQ down the street, as well as a pizza joint and a mom and pop deli/sub shop (NYPD Deli) that has FREE BEER on Saturdays (!) plus pretty good sandwiches. Next to that is a Pockets, which is a chain pool hall/bar/restaurant if anyone feels like quaffing some adult beverages.  
   I also have a big collection of games if anyone wants to try them, I never play games much anymore myself, but I've got Dungeon, Dark Tower, Riddle of the Ring, that's just on the shelf right in front of me, probably have a lot more in the garage. Basically the agenda is whatever we will make up...probably spend a lot of time just talking I suspect.  
  Also I will have some freebies to give away....Undoubtedly some really useless stuff.
   What say everyone 10 am at the Starbucks?  Or we can meet at my house, just send a PM and I'll send you directions there...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:50 am 

(Off-topic, since I won't be attending . . . )

I tidied up some of the Half-Price Books in the Dallas Area.  I may be out of town Tuesday through Friday of the coming week, or else I would have waited until later:

. . . (1) Main Store (Northwest Highway) - Some waaay overpriced JG  is there.  I took some of the RPG items hiding in the Old Stuff vault and put them on the top shelf of the regular RPG section.

. . . (2) Parker - Not much as far as collectible RPGs go, but I straightened out their shelves anyway.

. . . (3) Campbell - I gave up trying to organize their shelves.  They still alphabetize their RPGs by title, though this time they put Ravenloft all under the "R" section.  Someone bought their overpriced boxed sets, because only one remains.

. . . (4) Preston - Some AD&D/2E stuff.  Also some V&V on the shelf and in the clearance rack.

. . . (5) Mesquite - I did this earlier in the week.  It has (or had) a Silver Anniversary Ravenloft module and an RPGA module.  It also has two short-boxes of Chess Life.  :)

Campbell, Preston, and the Main Store were all fairly organized, so I must not be the only psychotic, errr, obsessive-compulsive who visits HPB.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:21 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:(Off-topic, since I won't be attending . . . )

I tidied up some of the Half-Price Books in the Dallas Area.  I may be out of town Tuesday through Friday of the coming week, or else I would have waited until later:

. . . (1) Main Store (Northwest Highway) - Some waaay overpriced JG  is there.  I took some of the RPG items hiding in the Old Stuff vault and put them on the top shelf of the regular RPG section.

. . . (2) Parker - Not much as far as collectible RPGs go, but I straightened out their shelves anyway.

. . . (3) Campbell - I gave up trying to organize their shelves.  They still alphabetize their RPGs by title, though this time they put Ravenloft all under the "R" section.  Someone bought their overpriced boxed sets, because only one remains.

. . . (4) Preston - Some AD&D/2E stuff.  Also some V&V on the shelf and in the clearance rack.

. . . (5) Mesquite - I did this earlier in the week.  It has (or had) a Silver Anniversary Ravenloft module and an RPGA module.  It also has two short-boxes of Chess Life.  :)

Campbell, Preston, and the Main Store were all fairly organized, so I must not be the only psychotic, errr, obsessive-compulsive who visits HPB.

LOL, now this is funny. I've done this before too.  Does nothing infuriate you more than pieced out box sets (without the box) where they HPB empolyee has priced all the books/maps/encounter sheets separately? Or where they have priced a module cover with no module inside? Or when some store has like 18 copies of the Complete Book of Fighters and they are all priced at $10 each?
    KingofPain told me that the Campbell HPB finally marked down their overpriced Planescape boxed sets, so I guess someone took advantage of that and bought them.    I think they still have the $150 Silver Anniversary boxed set there, though...
    Also, I've compulsively alphabetized comic sections in HPB before when I know I'm going to be there for awhile and have nothing else to do....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:11 pm 

What about the HPB on Denton Hwy/377?  I keep looking for AD&D stuff or third-party (non TSR) 3.5 material there and never find any.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:17 pm 

Geoff Dale wrote:What about the HPB on Denton Hwy/377?  I keep looking for AD&D stuff or third-party (non TSR) 3.5 material there and never find any.

That one sucks.  There are certain HPBs that get more RPG stuff than others.  The Fort Worth HPBs are lousy also.  The Arlington stores seem to get a good amount in, must be because they are near the college?  Also the main store.  Duncanville and Mesquite stores are bad also, rarely anything there the few times I've been by.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:14 am 

Badmike wrote:
That one sucks.  There are certain HPBs that get more RPG stuff than others.  The Fort Worth HPBs are lousy also.  The Arlington stores seem to get a good amount in, must be because they are near the college?  Also the main store.  Duncanville and Mesquite stores are bad also, rarely anything there the few times I've been by.

Mike B.

Don't forget the McKinney store.  The only worthwhile things I have found there since they opened were the Holmes set and the bag of Traveller adventures and supplements.  Course the Traveller stuff changed hands twice before I got them but you get my point.  :roll:

The Frisco store isn't too bad.  I have found quite a few 1st and 2nd edition modules there over the past couple of years.

Also, I've compulsively alphabetized comic sections in HPB before when I know I'm going to be there for awhile and have nothing else to do....

You guys really need to see someone that can help you with that problem.  :wink:

Meeting at Starbucks or at Mike's house is good either way.  I vote we go someplace that has a TV so I can keep tabs on the Michigan - Ohio St. game though.  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:02 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:The Frisco store isn't too bad.  I have found quite a few 1st and 2nd edition modules there over the past couple of years.

It was decent for a good long while.  I was there last night, and it sucks ass.  Nothing but the main rulebooks for AD&D 2e/3.x, White Wolf, and some similar run-of-the-mill hardbacks.

One of the Arlington stores rocks.  One of the Dentonish stores had a good selection a few months ago, too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:43 pm 

I hope you don't mind if I hijack your Texas thread for a minute but do any of you know anything about D.O.A. Products out of Austin, Texas?  I was going through my Abyss fanzines and found an ad for them saying that they produced modules etc but didn't list any product names.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm 

Mars wrote:I hope you don't mind if I hijack your Texas thread for a minute but do any of you know anything about D.O.A. Products out of Austin, Texas?  I was going through my Abyss fanzines and found an ad for them saying that they produced modules etc but didn't list any product names.

From Dallas, Oklahoma City is closer than Austin, btw.

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:40 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
You guys really need to see someone that can help you with that problem.  :wink:

Meeting at Starbucks or at Mike's house is good either way.  I vote we go someplace that has a TV so I can keep tabs on the Michigan - Ohio St. game though.  :D

When does the game start?  And who cares about two mediocre midwest college teams anyway?? :twisted:
      I can be at the Starbucks early....does anyone have any arrival times scheduled so I'll know exactly when to show up?  I hate  to be there three hours before anyone arrives.  If we get a quorum, we can then head to my house or Generation X.
  If anyone wants my mobile number so they can call me that morning to say "I'm on my way" or "Sorry last minute but can't make it", just PM me......
    Looks to be a nice day Saturday.......this infernal wind will finish by tomorrow they say.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:50 pm 

Badmike wrote:
    When does the game start?  And who cares about two mediocre midwest college teams anyway?? :twisted:
      I can be at the Starbucks early....does anyone have any arrival times scheduled so I'll know exactly when to show up?  I hate  to be there three hours before anyone arrives.  If we get a quorum, we can then head to my house or Generation X.
  If anyone wants my mobile number so they can call me that morning to say "I'm on my way" or "Sorry last minute but can't make it", just PM me......
    Looks to be a nice day Saturday.......this infernal wind will finish by tomorrow they say.

Mike B.

THE GAME starts at 2:30.  I guess I can Tivo the darn thing but I just know I will run into someone that will blurt out the winning team and the score just as I am getting ready to head home to watch it.

For everyone that is coming...Mike and I will be at the Starbucks on HWY 183 and HWY 157 in Euless at 9 AM.  I will be in a St. Louis Blues hockey jersey and Mike will be wearing a chicken outfit so you can't miss us.  :D

PreviousNext