North Texas Acaeum Members Meeting?!?!
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 612, 3, 4, 56
Poll: If you live in Texas or Oklahoma, would you be interested in meeting other Acaeum members one weekend this year?

Definitely, sounds like a party, ready whenever 25%       25%  [ 4 ]
Maybe, depends on which weekend we are talking about, need more details 25%       25%  [ 4 ]
No can do, too busy painting minis and polishing dice 50%       50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 76
Joined: Jun 27, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2015
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:18 pm 
 

Grodog: I'm going to be in your general area of KS later in November on business...4 nights in Emporia starting Monday the 27th.  Want to try some playtesting?  Let me know.

Geoff  :evil:

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:51 pm 
 

BTW, would you guys like me to bring some real swords and some 2 liter bottles and I can show you how to do proper cuts?

This would have to be before anyone drinks, but you will find it interesting to try a live steel blade.

I'd bring 3 or 4 swords and a couple garbage sacks of empty two liter bottles (which have to be filled with water) and you can try thrusting and cutting and see what it is like.

I've done this with game designers (over at Sandy's house) before, and sword collectors do this sort of thing with a good deal more precision and skill than I can muster.


Regards,



Stephen

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:55 pm 
 

Howdy Steve,


Ethesis wrote:BTW, would you guys like me to bring some real swords and some 2 liter bottles and I can show you how to do proper cuts?

This would have to be before anyone drinks, but you will find it interesting to try a live steel blade.

I'd bring 3 or 4 swords and a couple garbage sacks of empty two liter bottles (which have to be filled with water) and you can try thrusting and cutting and see what it is like.

I've done this with game designers (over at Sandy's house) before, and sword collectors do this sort of thing with a good deal more precision and skill than I can muster.


I'll only show up if I can bring some machine gun barrels to see if your so called "blades" can cut through them like butter. :twisted:

:lol:

Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:49 am 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Steve,




I'll only show up if I can bring some machine gun barrels to see if your so called "blades" can cut through them like butter. :twisted:

:lol:

Futures Bright,

Paul


That is twisted.  ;)

Another box got mailed to you, btw, and I should get into storage for the third sometime this month (assuming I can get that far into things).


Regards,



Stephen

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5611
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 pm 
 

On the gathering front, it looks like I'll be flying back to KS from DC on Friday rather than Saturday, perhaps Thursday if things look dead in Herndon.  I'll keep you guys posted as things develop.

Geoff Dale wrote:Grodog: I'm going to be in your general area of KS later in November on business...4 nights in Emporia starting Monday the 27th.  Want to try some playtesting?  Let me know.


Hi Goeff---there's a large group of folks (10-18) in ICT who I game with who would love to do some Inferno playtesting, although the idea of playing 3.5 won't necessarily appeal as much as AD&D, perhaps ;)

I should be around that entire time; if you'd like to get together, for a game or not, shoot me an email (see .sig)!

PS - welcome to the board!


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 76
Joined: Jun 27, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2015
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:53 am 
 

Grodog: I don't play any version of 3E since I was out of gaming when 2E and 3E happened.  My system is not AD&D but has strong similarities.  Give me an email address in private and I'll forward rules information and a selection of pre-gen characters.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 288
Joined: Feb 20, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 10, 2021
Location: Green Bay, WI

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:05 am 
 

Ethesis wrote:BTW, would you guys like me to bring some real swords and some 2 liter bottles and I can show you how to do proper cuts?

I would love that!  I picked up a couple of real swords from Badger Blades, and I'll bring them along.  :D

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:56 pm 
 

Gus Landt wrote:I would love that!  I picked up a couple of real swords from Badger Blades, and I'll bring them along.  :D


Ok, just so we are talking non-stainless steel, etc.

I will probably have a couple wooden wasters by then as well.

But it is good for people to use a real rapier (to feel how it pulls a thrust -- often when thrusting at a target people find themselves with the point 12" or further than they expected -- it is how a lot of accidents happen), to try a real cut, to compare blade types, etc.

A clean cut and you feel like you've cut paper.  A bad cut and it is like hitting a concret curbstop with a baseball bat.

My wife will be glad I'm getting the bottles out of the garage.

I'm looking forward to directions as well.


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Active Collector

Posts: 76
Joined: Jun 27, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2015
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:01 pm 
 

1)  Any more on this?

2)  Grodog - is it no-go for playtesting in Kansas later in November?

Geoff :twisted:

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:26 pm 
 

Geoff Dale wrote:1)  Any more on this?

2)  Grodog - is it no-go for playtesting in Kansas later in November?

Geoff :twisted:


    The North Texas Acaeum meeting is definitely still on!  Set for Saturday, November 18th, here in Euless.  We can meet at my house or at the local La Quinta meeting room (just down the street) and dig through each other's games, run a few pickup boardgames or RPGs, or just shoot the breeze.  I have talked to the owner of Generation X Comics and Games in Euless (right up the street from my house), and he has agreed to a 15% off any games purchased in store that day by Acaeum members only! (20% off if the purchase is over $100).  They have a pretty nice selection of new and used stuff, lots of different genres as well as a full complement of WOTC stuff, so it might be a good time to stock up on stuff for Christmas.
         As for fun events, I guess we can use Steve's swords to slice up things in my backyard...I have a pretty big house and backyard with very little to get in the way of sword swinging.  There are three Half Price Books within about 5-10 minutes from my house, two of them have a large stock of used games/books/videos if anyone wants to hit these.  Lots of places to catch lunch/dinner right around, including a brand new Dickey's BBQ.  Pockets (a chain poolhall/bar/restaurant) is about a block away from my house if anyone wants to down a few and shoot some pool.  If we could have a roster call out, I can better decide.  So far from looking at this thread, I see myself, King of Pain, Geoff, Gus, Steve, and maybe Jason Braun and Grodog?  Of course anyone in or around the Dallas/Fort Worth area is welcome to attend.  If we get the list from definite to maybe, I can send out maps/directions to everyone....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:30 pm 
 

BTW....KingofPain....

Only five more days as a free man now...my advice?


RUN FOR IT :cry:


Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:13 pm 
 

Sorry for the typo, the NTAM is set for November 18th, not 11th, I have edited my posts accordingly!

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5611
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:58 pm 
 

Geoff Dale wrote:2)  Grodog - is it no-go for playtesting in Kansas later in November?


Geoff---My travel schedule just got nuts (I'll be home 2 of the next 6 weeks), so we're probably off :(  I'll double-check the specifics you sent, though IIRC you said you'd be in KS the week after Thanksgiving, and I'll be in CA then for sure.  I'll double-check and let you know, though.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:00 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
    The North Texas Acaeum meeting is definitely still on!  Set for Saturday, November 18th, here in Euless.  We can meet at my house or at the local La Quinta meeting room (just down the street) and dig through each other's games, run a few pickup boardgames or RPGs, or just shoot the breeze.  I have talked to the owner of Generation X Comics and Games in Euless (right up the street from my house), and he has agreed to a 15% off any games purchased in store that day by Acaeum members only! (20% off if the purchase is over $100).  They have a pretty nice selection of new and used stuff, lots of different genres as well as a full complement of WOTC stuff, so it might be a good time to stock up on stuff for Christmas.
         As for fun events, I guess we can use Steve's swords to slice up things in my backyard...I have a pretty big house and backyard with very little to get in the way of sword swinging.  There are three Half Price Books within about 5-10 minutes from my house, two of them have a large stock of used games/books/videos if anyone wants to hit these.  Lots of places to catch lunch/dinner right around, including a brand new Dickey's BBQ.  Pockets (a chain poolhall/bar/restaurant) is about a block away from my house if anyone wants to down a few and shoot some pool.  If we could have a roster call out, I can better decide.  So far from looking at this thread, I see myself, King of Pain, Geoff, Gus, Steve, and maybe Jason Braun and Grodog?  Of course anyone in or around the Dallas/Fort Worth area is welcome to attend.  If we get the list from definite to maybe, I can send out maps/directions to everyone....

Mike B.


I'm bringing two liter bottles to slice.  We need to be careful with the swords, they are real, and most of us probably don't have more than 3-4 hit points.


Regards,



Stephen

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:19 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:BTW....KingofPain....

Only five more days as a free man now...my advice?


RUN FOR IT :cry:


Mike B.


:P

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
:P


yeah could be a good time to take stock and have a really good think about what your doing KOP.

:)

Al



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4745
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:02 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
yeah could be a good time to take stock and have a really good think about what your doing KOP.

:)

Al


I look at it this way:  When I was single I lived by myself and paid all my own bills and rent.  I couldnt afford to buy much in the way of "collectibles" because I didnt have much money left after making those payments.  Since I have been living with my "better half" for the past four and a half years I have been able to put aside more money for my hobbies due to only having to pay half of the rent and bills.

Now dont get me wrong...I understand that when people get married that certain sacrifices have to be made and things do change somewhat.  But that doesnt mean that I have to stop collecting.  I will probably have to curtail some of my spending simply because our credit cards bills are through the roof right now due to us having to pay for our own wedding and honeymoon.  And since we arent having kids (we are too old and dont really like the little bastards to boot  :twisted: ) we dont have to worry about the extra expenditures for that.  She also is the least superficial woman I know.  She spends money on the cats, candles, crime novels, and flowers for the yard and that is it.  She doesnt like jewelry (except for the engagement ring...she won't stop looking at it) or flashy clothes.  She isnt one of those "gotta keep up with the Joneses" type of people and that is one of the main reasons why I am marrying her.

All jokes aside...I dont think I could find a better woman if I tried.  She is definitely the least psychotic woman I have ever known and that is a big plus in my book.  :D

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:31 am 
 

Ethesis wrote:
I'm bringing two liter bottles to slice.  We need to be careful with the swords, they are real, and most of us probably don't have more than 3-4 hit points.


Hey guys,
Be sure to take lots of pics and post them here (or on the local police dept. website) so we can all enjoy!


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:07 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Now dont get me wrong...I understand that when people get married that certain sacrifices have to be made and things do change somewhat.


I know, my wife made me give up dating other women, talk about unreasonable...

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 28, 2011

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:24 pm 
 

bombadil wrote:
Hey guys,
Be sure to take lots of pics and post them here (or on the local police dept. website) so we can all enjoy!


Just make sure to send me an e-mail with the address to show up at ;)

Not to mention I'm looking for a Superworld Companion so I'm certain to hit the half price book stores in the area, just in case.


Regards,



Stephen

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 612, 3, 4, 56