North Texas Acaeum Members Meeting?!?!
Poll: If you live in Texas or Oklahoma, would you be interested in meeting other Acaeum members one weekend this year?

Definitely, sounds like a party, ready whenever 25%       25%  [ 4 ]
Maybe, depends on which weekend we are talking about, need more details 25%       25%  [ 4 ]
No can do, too busy painting minis and polishing dice 50%       50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16

Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:34 am 

grodog wrote:
So far that weekend looks clear for me too, Mike, but flights from ICT to DFW on American are looking too expensive ($370-ish roundtrip), so that plus a hotel puts it way beyond my weekend excursion slush fund (I could by some R modules for that!).  Are there any cheap hotels in the area, or is there any chance I could sleep in a spare room at some benevolent member's home?  

I asked Heather to check into discounted fares, since she's the queen of finding good deals, so I'm hopeful that she'll find much-reduced fares out there.

I guess I could always look into driving too, but a 5-ish hour trip makes it worth my time to fly, if possible :D

Too bad Southwest Airlines doesnt fly to Wichita.  :?   I would be more than happy to let you stay at my house Allan.  I'm about 30 minutes from Love Field and DFW airports.  If you did stay at my house the only thing you would need to concern yourself with is if you have any pet allergies as we have four cats.  :wink:  They are friendly though.  Dont listen to Mike if he tells you otherwise....I told him not to pick the calico up but he didnt listen to me.  :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:47 am 

grodog wrote:
So far that weekend looks clear for me too, Mike, but flights from ICT to DFW on American are looking too expensive ($370-ish roundtrip), so that plus a hotel puts it way beyond my weekend excursion slush fund (I could by some R modules for that!).  Are there any cheap hotels in the area, or is there any chance I could sleep in a spare room at some benevolent member's home?  

I asked Heather to check into discounted fares, since she's the queen of finding good deals, so I'm hopeful that she'll find much-reduced fares out there.

I guess I could always look into driving too, but a 5-ish hour trip makes it worth my time to fly, if possible :D

A place to stay is taken care of.  We'll either put you up here at the house or at the La Quinta a block away.  Cost for a room is only about $65 and I can pay for that out of auction funds.  I plan on holding a pre-Acaeum meeting auction to pay for expenses (out of my slush pile of orphaned items that is growing bigger and bigger) including a hotel room....which will probably turn into headquarters if I don't get the meeting room also.  But if that is the only holdup, don't let it bother you, it will be taken care of.  
     SWest doesn't have any cheaper flights? My wife flew roundtrip from Love Field (not DFW airport) a few months ago to Kansas City for 100 bucks. Love Field is probably only 15 minutes farther than DFW, tops (DFW is about 5 min away from here). Anyway check the Love Field connections instead of the DFW ones to see if you can save money, I bet it's quite a bit cheaper. Should be cheaper (and faster) than paying for gas...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:48 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Too bad Southwest Airlines doesnt fly to Wichita.  :?   I would be more than happy to let you stay at my house Allan.  I'm about 30 minutes from Love Field and DFW airports.  If you did stay at my house the only thing you would need to concern yourself with is if you have any pet allergies as we have four cats.  :wink:  They are friendly though.  Dont listen to Mike if he tells you otherwise....I told him not to pick the calico up but he didnt listen to me.  :P

Don't believe him that feline is a vicious bitch...tried to swipe my goatee off one time I was there....his collection is well protected.  8O

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:08 am 

Hey Guys!

I made an account here just to reply to this (thanks for the heads up, grodog). I'm in San Antonio, but would definitely be interested in getting away for the weekend. "Tower of Blood" should be wrapped up by then, and my GF will be off studying at Texas Tech, so I can make a guilt-free weekend out of it ;)

It'd be nice to meet a few fellow grognards and get some gaming/tom foolery in. Count me in.

Gro, check Southwest Airlines, as they usually have insane Tejas travel deals. I'll either fly or drive - Texas means long boring drives. Hell, at least it's closer than Lubbock! If I do the driving thing, anyone along I-35 (SA, Austin, Waco, etc) feel like carpooling with a dorky fantasy artist?

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
http://www.jasonbraun.com

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:35 am 

Jaybird216 wrote:Hey Guys!

I made an account here just to reply to this (thanks for the heads up, grodog). I'm in San Antonio, but would definitely be interested in getting away for the weekend. "Tower of Blood" should be wrapped up by then, and my GF will be off studying at Texas Tech, so I can make a guilt-free weekend out of it ;)

It'd be nice to meet a few fellow grognards and get some gaming/tom foolery in. Count me in.

Gro, check Southwest Airlines, as they usually have insane Tejas travel deals. I'll either fly or drive - Texas means long boring drives. Hell, at least it's closer than Lubbock! If I do the driving thing, anyone along I-35 (SA, Austin, Waco, etc) feel like carpooling with a dorky fantasy artist?

Welcome aboard Jason.  You've done some work for Goodman Games, correct?  Or am I thinking of someone else?  And I asssume you've been involved with Tower of Blood, cool! We'd love to have you aboard.  Only a few hours up the freeway from San Antone, it shouldn't be too bad.  I thought when I had a girlfriend in Cleburne that was a long drive.  Geez, Lubbock from San Antonio.  Do you know any short cuts through the Hill Country, or do you stay on the main roads the entire way?       
         Things look to be shaping up rather nicely.  I hope you and Al can indeed make it. Now if we can just get Steve to also pop in on that weekend.  Looks like it's starting to shake up to be a party...but sorry, no Tom Wham buttons, maybe I can sign a few Fiend Folios as party favors...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:43 am 

Badmike wrote:Do you know any short cuts through the Hill Country, or do you stay on the main roads the entire way?

Mike B.

Isn't there a shortcut that goes through Lockhart?  I hear they have the best BBQ in the country there. *hint-hint*  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:54 am 

Thanks Mike!

I'm excited about this already. Dallas is 4 hrs or so, I guess. Lubbock is 7+, though it helps that they raised the speed limit to 80 on parts of I-10. I've found the fastest route is to take I-10 west out to Junction, then head north. The Hill Country is pretty around Fredricksberg, but the winding roads slow you down, and there are more deer to dodge on the way. More often than not, we just meet up in San Angelo, which is almost exactly half way.

So, 4 hrs on wide, straight, smooth I-35N isn't bad at all. It'd be a good excuse to put the top down on the Jeep and hit the highway!

I've never done anything for Goodman Games proper, though I intend to send them a portfolio in the next month or so, once my current commitments have simmered down. A few years ago, I did some for a d20 monster compendium called "Primeval Groves", which was published under the GG banner, so that could possibly be what you're thinking of?  

Recently, I had one *tiny* illustration in "Cairn of the Skeleton King" and will have about 10 or so in "Tower of Blood". I did a few for Zeitgeist Games' "The Player's Guide to Blackmoor" which should be out any day now, and have a couple more popping for an upcoming ZG release as well.

As far as collecting goes, I dumped 100% of my RPG stuff 2 years ago when I decided to pack up and become a Texan. 20 years of stuff went either in the trash, or to Half Price Books. I'm a foolish, foolish man - but I didn't have any space for it. Since then, I've re-acquired a few of the core AD&D hardbacks and a random supplement or two, but I don't have anything anyone would want. Maybe I'll bring some artwork :D

At any rate, it'll be a fun and fantastic outing!

What'd you do on the FF? I have one of those... might have to bring it along!

Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
http://www.jasonbraun.com

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:45 pm 

Jaybird216 wrote:Thanks Mike!

I'm excited about this already. Dallas is 4 hrs or so, I guess. Lubbock is 7+, though it helps that they raised the speed limit to 80 on parts of I-10. I've found the fastest route is to take I-10 west out to Junction, then head north. The Hill Country is pretty around Fredricksberg, but the winding roads slow you down, and there are more deer to dodge on the way. More often than not, we just meet up in San Angelo, which is almost exactly half way.

So, 4 hrs on wide, straight, smooth I-35N isn't bad at all. It'd be a good excuse to put the top down on the Jeep and hit the highway!

One of the most beautiful parts of Texas!  Most people don't know Texas has mountains...well, really tall hills.  

I've never done anything for Goodman Games proper, though I intend to send them a portfolio in the next month or so, once my current commitments have simmered down. A few years ago, I did some for a d20 monster compendium called "Primeval Groves", which was published under the GG banner, so that could possibly be what you're thinking of?  
Recently, I had one *tiny* illustration in "Cairn of the Skeleton King" and will have about 10 or so in "Tower of Blood". I did a few for Zeitgeist Games' "The Player's Guide to Blackmoor" which should be out any day now, and have a couple more popping for an upcoming ZG release as well.

I looked through all my Goodman Game stuff I had handy and couldn't find anything of yours, I guess I was mistaken, I thought I had seen your name on something there.  Can't wait to see the Tower of Blood stuff, put my order in recently.

As far as collecting goes, I dumped 100% of my RPG stuff 2 years ago when I decided to pack up and become a Texan. 20 years of stuff went either in the trash, or to Half Price Books. I'm a foolish, foolish man - but I didn't have any space for it. Since then, I've re-acquired a few of the core AD&D hardbacks and a random supplement or two, but I don't have anything anyone would want. Maybe I'll bring some artwork :D

It's guys like you that make my job so easy!  Just head to HPB and pick up the goodies! If you wanted to bring some artwork to show us, that would be great.
At any rate, it'll be a fun and fantastic outing!

What'd you do on the FF? I have one of those... might have to bring it along!

Well, all I did with the Fiend Folio is buy way too many of them.  It's sort of a running joke around my place. At one time I was doing inventory/stocking and realized I had about 20 of the things...started selling them for $9.99 each on Ebay, I'm finally down to four copies I believe.  Just thought I could get rid of a few more by signing them and handing them out, maybe i'll sign them as Albie Fiore or something... :lol:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:12 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Too bad Southwest Airlines doesnt fly to Wichita.  :?   I would be more than happy to let you stay at my house Allan.  I'm about 30 minutes from Love Field and DFW airports.  If you did stay at my house the only thing you would need to concern yourself with is if you have any pet allergies as we have four cats.  :wink:  They are friendly though.  Dont listen to Mike if he tells you otherwise....I told him not to pick the calico up but he didnt listen to me.  :P

Thanks KoP!  We've got one dog and three cats, so if I'm able to make the trip, I'll happily take you up on your offer :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:15 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Too bad Southwest Airlines doesnt fly to Wichita.  :?

I'll second and third that sentiment, on several fronts :(

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:59 pm 

grodog wrote:
I'll second and third that sentiment, on several fronts :(

But, if you make it on a weekend I'm in town, I'll buy you dinner.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:
         We'd love to have you Steve....meeting is tentatively set for Saturday October 7th.  I'll have some more info by the end of the month, but that seems to be the best date for the meet.  So far only myself and two others (Kingofpain and Gus) have given a definite.  Hopefully as the time grows closer we can get a few more.  Remember, if you don't want to spend the entire day, just hanging out for an hour could be an alternative, shake some hands, have a soft drink, and meet some of the faces behind the names (this means you Gaunt!!!)   :D
      Anyway if interested PM me or post here....the more the merrier.  It would be great to get at least five and hopefully more to meet that day...

Mike B.

I'll be back in town by then.

I was going to catch a Judo tournament at A&M that morning, but I'll be back that evening -- or I can just skip it.  I'm not sure I want to drive that far that early.

I'll talk to my wife, but we might be able to host it here as well.

My e-mail is [email protected] -- keep me in the loop, I'm very interested.

I've also turned out "notify me when a reply is posted" which I should have done before.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:01 pm 

That first weekend in October is the ONLY weekend that I have stuff going on.   :(
I have family flying in from out of town.  I would definately ditch them for a few hours to come hang out, but I wouldn't be able to spend nearly as much time there as I'd like.
So, if the date isn't solid yet, this is my vote for any October weekend but the first one.  :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:25 am 

Gus Landt wrote:That first weekend in October is the ONLY weekend that I have stuff going on.   :(
I have family flying in from out of town.  I would definately ditch them for a few hours to come hang out, but I wouldn't be able to spend nearly as much time there as I'd like.
So, if the date isn't solid yet, this is my vote for any October weekend but the first one.  :?

Darn, I think that's the only weekend John (KingofPain) can make it.  King, post here and let us know.  I'm free any weekend but would like to maximize the amount of members that can be there.  I think Gro (if he can come) was also limited to his weekends he could show up.   I don't know about Jason's (Jaybirds) plans.  I just picked Oct 7th to have a date to shoot for, I figured no matter what weekend we picked someone wouldn't be able to make it.
   It definitely doesn't have to be an all day thing. I think it would be great if some of the locals could pop in for just a few hours and introduce themselves.  
 So far myself, Kingofpain, Gus, Gro, Ethesis, Jaybird have shown interest in attending, I would love to get guys like John Gaunt to also show up for an hour or so.  Gro, I noticed some of the OSRIC guys are based in Texas, any close enough to the DFW area to pop in, would they even be interested?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:27 am 

The only weekend that I absolutely cant make it would be the 14th.  My cousin is getting married that Saturday.  The 21st is probably ok but the closer to November we get the more unknown everything is due to last minute preparations for my own wedding.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I actually have a weekend in October where I'm supposed to be in Dallas, falling asleep at some work thing.

Bleh: trip cancelled. I'm out. Have fun, though!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:47 pm 

So where does this stand?  Is it happening?  What exact date(s) and location?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:06 pm 

I'm getting back from CA tomorrow night, then back to CA at the end of October (Sunday the 29th, possibly Saturday the 28th, depending on the conference schedule).  Otherwise I'm free.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

PreviousNext