Monster Manual II
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 pm 

I picked up a MMII (NM quality) on e-bay.  It seems to correspond to a third print, but here's an interesting wrinkle.

The ISBN on the back cover reads "0-88038 031-4"  Usually ISBN's are full, so it should have read "0-88038-031-4"

Any comments?

Gary H. Kramer

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:46 pm 

ISBN on my third print is the same.

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:25 am 

I hadn't paid attention to MMII printings before, very interesting stuff.  Apparently I have a 1st/2nd printing, not sure.  Are we positive these were never shrinkwrapped, before I crack it open?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:16 am 

I bought mine when I was actively playing, years ago!  I recall that the books in my local gaming store were not shrinkwrapped.

Gary H. Kramer

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:40 am 

These books were not shrinkwrapped.  I don't think I ever saw a shrinkwrapped hardback book.

My Monster Manual II has the TSR block letters, an orange spine and no notations about print editions.

The ISBN code is 0-88038-031-4

Monster Manual II was the best of the "later" AD&D 1st edition hardbacks.  Ah!  The Fomorian Giant!

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:48 am 

MShipley88 wrote:These books were not shrinkwrapped.  I don't think I ever saw a shrinkwrapped hardback book.

My Monster Manual II has the TSR block letters, an orange spine and no notations about print editions.

The ISBN code is 0-88038-031-4

Monster Manual II was the best of the "later" AD&D 1st edition hardbacks.  Ah!  The Fomorian Giant!

Mark  8)

i bought that when it was first released in the UK too....must admit on the whole i was immensely dissappointed with it, but hey.

it certainly wasnt shrinked thats for sure.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:50 am 

Interesting that you were disappointed, Al!   8O

So, I grow curious about a pet theory of mine.

Now....here's my question..........

How did you like the Fiend Folio?  (

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:01 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Monster Manual II was the best of the "later" AD&D 1st edition hardbacks.  Ah!  The Fomorian Giant!

Mark  8)

Blasphemy.  :wink:

Manual of the Planes is by far the superior of the "later" 1st edition hardbacks.

I shall give you several reasons why the MMII was an "inferior" product.

1) Corny dragons.  Mist, Shadow, Faerie and Cloud dragons are not real dragons.  Mist and Cloud dragons' breath weapons are basically powerful burps and nothing more.  Faerie dragons...not gonna waste my breath.

2) Froghemoth.  Did Gary watch John Carpenter's The Thing a few too many times before this was published?

3) Modrons.  I get the idea behind why Modron's are the way they are...but could they have been more stupid looking?  Take Octon for example.  Is this an upside down Portobella mushroom or some freak wearing an elaborate pinata?  And the Hierarch modrons all look like wierdos from a Japanese sci-fi flick.

4) Tarrasque.  8O   Has anyone actually used this creature in their own campaign (Throne of Bloodstone/How The Mighty Are Fallen aside) and actually defeated it?  Silly critter.

5) Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing.  Don't get me started.  :roll:

This was written up just for the fun of it.  I like the MMII just fine but I still think Manual of the Planes rocked.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:21 pm 

Thanks guys.  I've suspected my copy was a reshrink for about a year, but its in such pristine shape I hadn't opened it.  Tonight, I renew the war on shrinkwrap.  :twisted:

But come on, how can you not like the Froghemoth?  8O

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:39 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Interesting that you were disappointed, Al!   8O

So, I grow curious about a pet theory of mine.

Now....here's my question..........

How did you like the Fiend Folio?  (

hey chummer

for me i liked the fiend folio more than the monster manual. sure in the MM it has lots of my firm favorites that i like to use, but many of my most fave creatures are in FF. if i am fleshing out an adventure, it is far more likely i will try and find something from FF before i will MM.

thats just my own .02c of course, but i guess each has their own tastes.

that renevant is a most awesome creature to slot in somewhere man lemme tell you - the combats always end up being unbelievably chaotic  :twisted:

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:04 pm 

My theory holds.

I suspect that the Fiend Folio was loved by players in the British Isles as much as it repelled players in America.

Even now, with a 2+ decades of perspective, the Fiend Folio still looks bizarre to me.

It is in the oddly British artwork and the gruesomeness of it (even though there was little gore) and just the strangeness of the creatures created by British gamers.  The Fiend Folio felt...evil.

Of course, there are some classics in the mix, all the creations of one guy!  Oh...and the Fog Giant (love it)!

The rest of the book consisted of single-use odditites or a host of monsters that were all variations on the theme:  "This is a low hit dice  monster who garrotes you from behind or steals your magic items."

The Monster Manual II, on the other hand, looks like an old friend.

Many of the monster in Monster Manual II were re-printed from modules.  The Froghemoth was a survivor from Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Actually, I have used the Tarrasque several times.  Once there was a Tarrasque sealed inside a huge stone in a ruined city.  Another time, the party found a Tarrasque assleep in the underworld, with its young awake around it (like the baby dragons in the movie Dragonslayer).  A third time, I had a Tarrasque get loose in the countryside and it was a feature of the campaign setting:  "Where is the Tarrasque today?"

Actually, the Tarrasque was not tough enough for a single, legendary beast.  It could have been meaner.

Never used a Modron.  I used to think that Modron, by Judges Guild, was about Modrons...but no.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:21 pm 

thought the Tarrasque was unique?

hmm maybe i am wrong - makes note to go check later...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:31 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:thought the Tarrasque was unique?

hmm maybe i am wrong - makes note to go check later...

Al

Dude!  You English are such rules lawyers!  

If one Tarrasque is cool, then a dozen of them are cooler, and a suped up Tarrasque God is....coolerer.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:32 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Dude!  You English are such rules lawyers!  

If one Tarrasque is cool, then a dozen of them are cooler, and a suped up Tarrasque God is....coolerer.

Mark   8)

oh yeah 3E :)

hey listen i aint no rules-lawyer and believe me - in MY game, 1 Tarrasque would be more than enough for anything and anyone to cope with.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:09 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:in MY game, 1 Tarrasque would be more than enough for anything and anyone to cope with.

Except, of course, Chuck Norris.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Except, of course, Chuck Norris.

well yes that just goes without saying of course.

the gods once contemplated ganging together and doing away with Mr Norris, but they felt that it was too big a risk and that the universe wouldnt be able to sustain such a conflict :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:37 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:My theory holds.

I suspect that the Fiend Folio was loved by players in the British Isles as much as it repelled players in America.

I have a theory that's a sub-set of yours: UK gamers also love humanoid (or goblinoid, etc.) monsters more than any other type.

I haven't actually counted them up or anything, but the FF is full of humanoid types. By stretching the definition to include any "thinking" creature with exactly two arms and two legs, it seems like every third entry in the FF is a humanoid.

For further evidence, I point to the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks — practically all humanoids, all the time.

Over here in 'Merika, we likes our dragons and our oozes and our purple worms, too. Thus, the MMII seems to be more "our style."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:47 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Over here in 'Merika, we likes our dragons and our oozes and our purple worms, too. Thus, the MMII seems to be more "our style."

ohhhh dear X you so must come and play in one of my games sometime chummer :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next