Expert Boxed Set Intricacy
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:57 pm 

Has anyone ever observed the following:

My Expert Set Box Bottom follows the 1st edition guidelines such that

Box bottom does not have the Product Number in the lower right.  Border around the "STOP! READING THIS" text is black.  Lower right corner shows the latest copyright as 1980 (Taken from www.acaeum.com Rulebook section)

with the exception that the Product Number is in the lower right.

My box top has the 1980 TSR logo but also has the latest release date of 1981 above the All Rights Reserved on the right side.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:04 pm 

HexMapper wrote:Has anyone ever observed the following:

My Expert Set Box Bottom follows the 1st edition guidelines such that

Box bottom does not have the Product Number in the lower right.  Border around the "STOP! READING THIS" text is black.  Lower right corner shows the latest copyright as 1980 (Taken from www.acaeum.com Rulebook section)

with the exception that the Product Number is in the lower right.

My box top has the 1980 TSR logo but also has the latest release date of 1981 above the All Rights Reserved on the right side.

Can you post a scan, please?  :)  I've noticed a few quirks with both the Basic/Moldvay boxed set bottoms, I'm stilling collecting info.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:36 am 

which xp set do you refer? elmore box or otus box?

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:16 pm 

The Box Artwork Is By Otus[/img]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:08 pm 

I have an image of the box bottom - currently I'm immersed in certain things so I haven't gotten around to creating a quality web site

Does anyone know of a reliable / reasonable site where I can post this image for anyone passing through the acaeum to view?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:29 pm 

HexMapper wrote:I have an image of the box bottom - currently I'm immersed in certain things so I haven't gotten around to creating a quality web site

Does anyone know of a reliable / reasonable site where I can post this image for anyone passing through the acaeum to view?

Whoops.  I missed your reply.  You can email me the scan ([email protected]) and I'll put it up somewhere if people want to take a look.  A few additional notes:

1)  I recently picked up a first printing set that appears to be a hybrid.  The rulebook is a 1st, but the box and X1 appear to be 2nd printings -- red box around warning, no product code in bottom right, 1981 on bottom right, 1980 near TSR logo.  It does not have the product number on the bottom.  For reference, the d4, d8, d12, d20 and crayon are green, and the d6 and d10 are beige.

2)  In a recent auction of a first printing set, there was a photo of the box bottom -- and it had a product number, as yours does.  So there are at least two copies with this detail; it's possible that the description is in error.

3)  The X1 copy shown on the bottom of the box uses a different font than on any known X1 -- it's a non-serif font, and lists Moldvay before Cook.  Does anyone own one of these?

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:08 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Whoops.  I missed your reply.  You can email me the scan ([email protected]) and I'll put it up somewhere if people want to take a look.  A few additional notes:

1)  I recently picked up a first printing set that appears to be a hybrid.  The rulebook is a 1st, but the box and X1 appear to be 2nd printings -- red box around warning, no product code in bottom right, 1981 on bottom right, 1980 near TSR logo.  It does not have the product number on the bottom.  For reference, the d4, d8, d12, d20 and crayon are green, and the d6 and d10 are beige.

2)  In a recent auction of a first printing set, there was a photo of the box bottom -- and it had a product number, as yours does.  So there are at least two copies with this detail; it's possible that the description is in error.

3)  The X1 copy shown on the bottom of the box uses a different font than on any known X1 -- it's a non-serif font, and lists Moldvay before Cook.  Does anyone own one of these?

I have a 1st print Expert set (it was shrinkwrapped but was torn and moisture had gotten to the box - contents in perfect shape)

There is no product code on the bottom of the box, only on the sides and all at the top left of those. Dice are all grey and crayon is white.

The X1 lists Cook before Moldvay and is as the 1st on this site.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own