"City of the Revenant" 1978 D&D tournament adv
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:08 am 

I saw this title was auctioned by oD&D designer Steve Marsh. I've never heard of it - does anyone know what this is?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 am 

Shane wrote:I saw this title was auctioned by oD&D designer Steve Marsh. I've never heard of it - does anyone know what this is?

*points to ian*

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:04 am 

Wasn't there already a strand on this item?

This note one a Steve Marsh Strand:

The Revenant, there were only three in Steve's collection. Two have been sold. One to Ian (DM tournament copy - resold recently) and another to a private collector (part file copy/part original copy). This is the last copy, Steve's own archival photocopy from 20 years ago, taken out of it's 3-ring binder. There are no more copies.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:14 am 

There is a thread here somewhere and one over on Dragonsfoot.org.

Also if you go to www.afterglow2.com and look under Steve Marsh, you'll find some info.

It is an unpublished TSR edited manuscript for a high level tournament adventure. It was heavily playtested during the developement of the proposed Marsh/Gygax Planes of Existance hardback. With editing, it would most likely be best presented as a campaign setting. But if it is ever to be published it will need to come out of Australia. Reference material residing in Australia is probably critical to get the mechanics right (or at least as intended), and material in Scotland is probably required in order to complete the backstory.

All in all, it is unlikely to see publication. The few remaining copies of the tourney are the only likely copies ever to see the light of day.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:55 am 

Tadashi is still interested in publishing Steve's stuff, if the current owners of the manuscripts are willing/intersted in seeing them in print.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:18 am 

Shane wrote:I saw this title was auctioned by oD&D designer Steve Marsh. I've never heard of it - does anyone know what this is?

Hey, nice to see another Shane on here :D

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:06 pm 

grodog wrote:Tadashi is still interested in publishing Steve's stuff, if the current owners of the manuscripts are willing/intersted in seeing them in print.

It needs a lot of work. It couldn't be published in it's present format.
Did anything come of your discussions with Ben Burns?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:43 pm 

Thanks for everybody's help. Googling "Steve Marsh" and "revenant" turned up the Dragonsfoot thread. My main interest in the City of the Revenant was the hope that it might have some connection to the oD&D World of Mystara, but it seems to be more connected with the AD&D/Greyhawk cosmology.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:59 pm 

It pre-dates Mystara, but is set independantly on it's own demi-plane, so is not set in any of the known campaign settings. Indeed, even the cosmology that it was designed to integrate with was never published. TSR scrapped Planes of Existence when EGG was forced out.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:17 pm 

Ralph Williams was also supposta do a Shadowland mega-adventure for that line as well.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:59 pm 

I wish that all of the old school D&D settings would be published in full while the pioneers are still alive: Marsh's City of the Revenant, Kuntz's Kalibruhn, Mentzer's Aquaria and Urt (Mentzer's conception of Mystara from the "black box" Masters Set world map), Gygax's home Greyhawk campaign (as an alternate version of the WotC-owned Greyhawk setting), along with the alternate Oerths Gygax mentioned (Aerth/Yarth/Urth). I'm happy that Blackmoor and the Wilderlands of High Fantasy have gotten their own sourcebooks. Does anyone know of any other early (1970s to early 1980s) D&D settings from TSR-related authors?

Shane

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:05 pm 

P.S. I wrote EGG an email several years ago asking how the world of Lejendary Adventures fit into the alternate Oerth scheme, and EGG was kind enough to respond. I lost that email when my account was deleted, but I seem to recall that EGG said Lejendary Earth is "Ierth". Can anyone confirm this?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 pm 

Shane wrote:P.S. I wrote EGG an email several years ago asking how the world of Lejendary Adventures fit into the alternate Oerth scheme, and EGG was kind enough to respond. I lost that email when my account was deleted, but I seem to recall that EGG said Lejendary Earth is "Ierth". Can anyone confirm this?

You can always ask him yourself over at his Q&A at Dragonsfoot:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... &start=225

:wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:04 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Ralph Williams was also supposta do a Shadowland mega-adventure for that line as well.

Yes, I preordered that, back in the day.  Alas, I think I tossed the original letter after depositing my refund check, though :(

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:29 pm 

Shane wrote:the alternate Oerths Gygax mentioned

Trivia bit: Gary has always insisted to me (usually in private tho) that Oerth is pronounced "OYth", with a thick Bronx accent.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:50 am 

ExTSR wrote:
Trivia bit: Gary has always insisted to me (usually in private tho) that Oerth is pronounced "OYth", with a thick Bronx accent.

The other thing I asked Gary in the email was how to pronounce "Oerth"! I seem to recall him saying it's /OYRTH/.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:43 pm 

Echo... echo... echo...