Need advice on dealing with PayPal for bad item condition..
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:32 pm 

I bought a lot of books, mostly because there was a "Good" condition copy of Red Arrow, Black Shield. Turns out that that book, as well as a D&D Masters DM Guide (oh noes!) is sans book - just the cover. That's a stretch of the imagination I think even Coug would have trouble making (and it's good, not VGC! anyways).

Since the seller doesn't seem inclined to be reasonable about her screwup, I wanted to get advice on how to get a reasonable refund from PayPal. Is the end result, even if I'm in the right, going to be me having to pay to ship all this back, in order to get a 100% refund? Will PayPal give me my original shipping cost back?

I paid $43 plus $5 shipping. The $5 didn't come close to covering her shipping costs, but I paid what I was asked to pay, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If PayPal decides the woman screwed me, will I end up with $48 + cost of shipping her books back to her, or something else?

I'm guessing I'll get $43 back, and have to pay to ship back the books, just because that'd be the stupidest and least fair way to handle it, and thus the most likely for PayPal to use.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:44 pm 

In a case like this, I don't think Paypal will give you anything.  Paypal only covers packages that are not received.  If there is a problem with the condition you need to go through Ebay and file a dispute, etc.

If you and the seller cannot work it out, then I think you can get Ebay involved but they will only refund you the value less $25.

In case such as yours you are pretty much screwed even if you are in the right.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:50 pm 

i would just simply send em back insured so you know they get there and say you want a full refund cos they were not in the condition stated - if you were in the UK, she would be in breach of the sale of goods act, but as she aint, you cant use that one...

once she has them back i would just contact your credit card and do a chargeback if she wont co-operate.

mind you if it was me, i would prb take em in person if they were being arsey about it :D

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:55 pm 

No, there's a "Significantly Not as Described" option as well. Looks like I'd end up having nto send back the books, *and* pay $25 for the priviledge.

But, I'd rather go with experience from folks here than what the eBay/PayPal policies say.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:57 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i would just simply send em back insured so you know they get there and say you want a full refund cos they were not in the condition stated

Shipping them back would probably cost me around $15. So, I get no books, and pay $20 ($15 + $5 original shipping) for the priviledge of having no books. That's not gonna happen ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:25 pm 

I filed a similar claim with paypal about 4 months ago.  I received the book but it was significantly not as described.  Paypal allowed me to fill in all the forms etc but their response was that it was something that would be noted and sent to the seller but Paypal would do nothing monetary about it.  That would have to be done through ebay.

The book that I bought was said to be clean iniside but when I got it several pages had lots of pen marks.  Paypal denied my claim and sent me off to Ebay.  

If you look at the paypal user agreement, if the seller just says "as is" in the auction, they will not allow your claim.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:00 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:i would just simply send em back insured so you know they get there and say you want a full refund cos they were not in the condition stated - if you were in the UK, she would be in breach of the sale of goods act, but as she aint, you cant use that one...

once she has them back i would just contact your credit card and do a chargeback if she wont co-operate.

mind you if it was me, i would prb take em in person if they were being arsey about it :D

Al

Paypal and Ebay in these cases are as useless as tits on Rupaul.  Kill is right...give her a chance to make it right, if she doesn't, do a chargebackon your credit card.  Avoid Paypal and Ebay completely (except to leave negative feedback if she is really pissy about the entire thing or leaves you negs first).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:07 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:No, there's a "Significantly Not as Described" option as well. Looks like I'd end up having nto send back the books, *and* pay $25 for the priviledge.

But, I'd rather go with experience from folks here than what the eBay/PayPal policies say.

Charge back, easy and works every time!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:08 pm 

Paid with PayPal balance, so I'm hosed.

Looks like I'll end up with a $10 refund, hopefully. Might let me break even on the rest of the crap I got stuck with. The only other book worth a damn in the mess is a beat up X11.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:01 am 

GraysonAC wrote:Paid with PayPal balance, so I'm hosed.

Looks like I'll end up with a $10 refund, hopefully. Might let me break even on the rest of the crap I got stuck with. The only other book worth a damn in the mess is a beat up X11.

Well, at least post the seller under the Bad Sellers thread, and use the 90 day Method to neg the shit out of her without retaliation...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com