Some news on Peter Kerestan
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:16 pm 

Found this....

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/9150/

Rather odd don't you think?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:34 pm 

Pretty sad if you ask me.  Looking at his auctions and reading some details about  things people bought from him previously it seems pretty obvious that he is actaully doing it.  On the lighter side(and more dtailed sode) though, Here is a link to the message board on that site you posted Ian:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/talk/msg.mv?id=9150

Its actually pretty funny reading through some of that stuff because it sounds just like us. :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:39 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Found this....

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/9150/

Rather odd don't you think?

He may be a recaster, he may be legitimate, or he may be a little of both.  Here's a posting from that URL by someone claiming to be from Bronze Age Miniatures:
Pete Keristan has bought 50 sets of our Dead planet Harum girls and has had me do some generics for him so I beleve he is just selling the sets that I sold him and the generics are some of his own.

Thanks for all of you looking out for us miniature makers.

David soderquist
Bronze Age Miniatures

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 pm 

I was trying to quote the above text, but to no avail. :?

Anyway, I read that myself, but if you read through a lot of the posts they all seem to have a recurring theme.  He sells the recasts of a particular type of miniature and then when he eventually gets busted by the IP owner, he apologizes, says that he didn't know becuase he bought them at a convention, and then stops selling them.  There are 5 or 6 different posts in that thread that say almost the exact same story, which is a little too coincidental for me.  :)   Like a wise man once said, "I don't like my coincidences to be quite so coincidental". :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:24 pm 

Don't get me on my pedestal. I had well-voiced doubts about the guy back when the PoVQ was being sold.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:26 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I was trying to quote the above text, but to no avail. :?
Write-only Memory has now been enabled.  :)

bclarkie wrote:Anyway, I read that myself, but if you read through a lot of the posts they all seem to have a recurring theme.  He sells the recasts of a particular type of miniature and then when he eventually gets busted by the IP owner, he apologizes, says that he didn't know becuase he bought them at a convention, and then stops selling them.  There are 5 or 6 different posts in that thread that say almost the exact same story, which is a little too coincidental for me.  :)   Like a wise man once said, "I don't like my coincidences to be quite so coincidental". :wink:
I agree; he appears to be selling recasts consciously.

(Is this thread going to move in the direction of legal-versus-illegal PDFs/photocopies/reproductions?  Please, no.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:12 pm 

If this Peter Kerestan is the Peter Kerestan, it is a sad state of affairs. I was just saying the other day to Bill Gates when I was buying my pirate copy of Windows from him, .....

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:30 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:If this Peter Kerestan is the Peter Kerestan, it is a sad state of affairs. I was just saying the other day to Bill Gates when I was buying my pirate copy of Windows from him, .....

strange how things tend to pan out isnt it

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:54 pm 

From their board this was pretty amusing:

Bill wrote: "Also, the company Wee Warriors back in '76 was reportedly the first to publish a roleplaying adventure -- Palace of the Vampire Queen by Pete and Judy Kerestan."

I'm not sure that this is the same company. And, as is often the case, WiKipedia is wrong; in this case about this being the first non-TSR D&D module -- Judges Guild had been in business for a year puiblishing D&D stuff before Vampire queen came out.
rmaker

Hmm...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:11 pm 

well by now, shane will be able to quote the oldest JG items that were released....IIRC none of the oldest were actual adventures so that would still make PotVQ the 1st ?

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:59 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well by now, shane will be able to quote the oldest JG items that were released....IIRC none of the oldest were actual adventures so that would still make PotVQ the 1st ?

Al

GenCon IX Dungeon pre Judges Guild was designed sometime around April 76 per Strategic Review #7:
GenCon Update
Plans are proceeding apace for the Premier Wargaming Event of ‘76. We are currently lining up all the judges that we'll need for all the tournaments. We will have complete listings of that in the next issue. In the meantime, a peek at a couple of new items.
Bob Blake, Rt. 1 Box 47, Valparaiso, IN 46383, needs DM's to help run a mammoth D&D tournament, that will span all three days of the con. The end result, after three days of dungeoneering, with the same characters, will be a champion Mage, Fighter, Cleric, Elf and Dwarf. Each participant will run a predetermined character, and all participants will be judged on performance, with eliminations. Sounds really interesting to hear Bob tell it. Get the full lowdown from him if you are interested in being a DM.

Dungeoneer #1 June 76 had an adventure (again pre Judges Guild)

Tegel Manor was the first scenario/adventure from Judges Guild (early 1977), CSIO and Thunderhold had the maps of a dungeon but never really made an adventure out of them (or described much other then the settlements)

So PotVQ as an adventure was before Judges Guild ever put out one. (only instinction they have of being first in anything is in putting out a DM/Judges Screen/Shield)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 pm 

see there ya go - shane is the man!

Al

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:see there ya go - shane is the man!

Al

Disappointed...

I'd rather expected to find out about a 1975 Tegel limited-circulation, pre-pub that he had up his sleeves, or something like that. ;)

=
(No comment to make re. Pete K., on the other hand. Never did hear back from him...).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:23 pm 

faro wrote:(No comment to make re. Pete K., on the other hand. Never did hear back from him...).

well david, maybe that tells its own story eh?

Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:41 pm 

For those who aren't fans of Wikipedia, you'll enjoy this:  http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902  :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:46 pm 

grodog wrote:For those who aren't fans of Wikipedia, you'll enjoy this:  http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902  :D

That's one way to derail a thread! :D

Always believe everything you read on Wikipedia... (especially the bit 'bout RPG collectors being especially favored in luck when it comes to lottery wins. ;))

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:00 pm 

It seems like another era ... (gets out pipe & slippers ...dvorak's 9th largo in background)

When I were t'lad uz students (scholars or commoners) used them old fangled pens with ink & read dusty ole books Gaius' Institiutes and Justinian's Digest (always thought he'd make a good centre half). Had to read 'em in Latin in those days.

Aye, those were the days we even played our role playing games face to face with our mates using pen & paper ... :wink:

Now these new kids with their Google, Wikipedias and Onions, word processors and laptops ...

:roll:

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc