Collecting Creep?
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:59 am 

A phrase I think I read here somewhere (Mark Shipley IIRC) that got me to thinking.
Now I'm in no way a serious collector - I don't have the money or the space (or a particularly understanding wife as far as 'stupid games' are concerned!) but I still collect in a small way, reselling to fund my need for new stuff.
BUT - I started off thinking 'I love the Forgotten Realms so I'll collect everything from that, that would be a decent collection and yet I could stay quite focused'. So I've managed to get about 80% of all the standard issued stuff (I can't bring myself to thing about RPGA items etc etc). But somewhere along the way I've picked up odds and ends that have piqued my interest - Poor Wizards Almanac - 'Ooo I like the look of the Known World';Spelljammer - 'yes , quirky and nothing much released so an easy pick up' ; just a few LBBs and all of a sudden I have most of the GDW Traveller stuff. And then I buy a load of Car Wars stuff to resell and its 'Can I be arsed to sort out the counters and organise it?'   And there I am at work running through a solo adventure thinking that it really shouldn't be that difficult to get a complete run of ADQs!
So where does it end? (Or does it end?) I sometimes thank my lucky stars that condition of my own stuff doesn't bother me cos then I'd be really stuffed :lol:
Can anyone raise there hand and honestly say - 'that's it, I've got everything I wanted, I'll stop now' or is it a distant dream, perhaps something that would require a substantial lottery win!
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:05 am 

The more I get the more I need!  

I mean want

No need

Want

Need

Yes my precious :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:22 am 

The more I get the more I need!  

That's what I thought - particularly since I've spent the time since I posted the original message ploughing through 5 pages of Dragon Dice listings - By the sacred jockstrap of Robert E Howard what is wrong with me!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:10 am 

just one more.......or was it two......but then there's that other thing...look something shiny and new (shrink wrapped- don't know what it is but must be good!)..........

Will probably stop.................in 3020, or if I'm dead, whichever comes first.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:02 am 

I started with Judges Guild D&D items.

Then...pretty much also a few RuneQuest items.

Now I am looking for Nightmare Maze of Jigresh (Tekumel) and the Tunnels and Trolls and Heroquest modules as well.

AND, of course...I got interested in the Stormbringer line of items from Chaosium......

AND THEN I started thinking..."Hey, what about Arduin?"

AND OF COURSE I always wanted Theives Guild...and the other Gamelords fantasy stuff.

AND THEN WHY NOT a few other items, like LegendQuest and possibly Runequest.....

AND NOW I'M THINKING....hey, why not Tunnels and Trolls and White Buffalo stuff.....

AND I MET James Ward a few years ago, and he gave me autographed Fast Forward Games stuff, so...I guess the stuff I bought from one of his former employees last week constitutes a good collection of their stuff....but...need...more.....

AND THEN THERE IS Troll Lords Games....which I got interested in because of their Castle Zagyg project......and they have the World of Erde on sale for $10 on their web site.....

AND CERTAINLY, I NEED TO COLLECT Iron Crown Enterprises as soon as I have settled a few other scores.....

AND ROB KUNTZ HAS DONE SOME COOL STUFF...so I had to have City of Brass and Cairn of the Skeleton King and maybe some other stuff...

AND, OF COURSE I'VE ALWAYS HAD UNFINISHED BUSINESS WITH Role Aids, by Mayfair, and the recent Mayfair plunder deal put a full collection of their newer stuff well in sight......

AND OF COURSE I AM A Greyhawk partisan........

I have no idea how to stop.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:15 am 

Its a disease and this whole site is just a means of infection.
Anyone who wants a cure can send me their collection  :wink:

As for me, well I can't stop, but I can slow down. (course that only works when I don't get interested in something else) so damn TSR and its multiple settings, Damn all those game companies..no the worst culprit of all..Damn the trees and all the paper you've made me put on my wooden shelves, in cardboard boxes..

DOWN WITH TREES!

I need help and by that I need a cure, so can someone send me their stuff to make me happy

Really though, I like my collection, just wish I had more time to read the things I got.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:12 am 

I set my goal a long time ago... one, just one. Of everything. American games & game accessories of the 20th century.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:01 am 

I am like the poster child for collecting creep.  :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:05 am 

bclarkie wrote:I am like the poster child for collecting creep. :?

*rattles a handful of TSR pogs in front of your eyes*

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:07 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Now I am looking for Nightmare Maze of Jigresh (Tekumel) and the Tunnels and Trolls and Heroquest modules as well.

As far as I can tell, Nightmare Maze is still available here, new, for $2:

http://www.diffworlds.com/judges_guild_other.htm

Scan down the page, it's third from the bottom.
This is the Different Worlds website, run by Tadashi.

So check there before buying the $8 hikingviking copy on Ebay!

Hope I posted this in time!  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:27 am 

faro wrote:*rattles a handful of TSR pogs in front of your eyes*

:lol:

Truthfully though, if I start resorting to collecting pogs, its time to go. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:18 pm 

$2 is the price I was looking for...depending on shipping.  I was aware of hikingviking's copy...no way at $8 + another $4+ shipping.

Fencert used to have it for cheap, but he probably sold all of his copies to Alan...and the cross-Atlantic shipping and exchange rates are too high for me to buy regularly for ASGI....which I would prefer....for such a single, low-price item.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:03 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Now I am looking for Nightmare Maze of Jigresh (Tekumel) and the Tunnels and Trolls and Heroquest modules as well.

I think Tadashi has that one available, IIRC....

MShipley88 wrote:AND OF COURSE I always wanted Theives Guild...and the other Gamelords fantasy stuff.

And I know he has those :D

MShipley88 wrote:AND THEN THERE IS Troll Lords Games....which I got interested in because of their Castle Zagyg project......and they have the World of Erde on sale for $10 on their web site.....

It's crap, ignore it.

MShipley88 wrote:AND ROB KUNTZ HAS DONE SOME COOL STUFF...so I had to have City of Brass and Cairn of the Skeleton King and maybe some other stuff...

Well, of course:  this just proves that you have good taste :D

MShipley88 wrote:AND OF COURSE I AM A Greyhawk partisan........

Greyhawk:  never heard it??? :D :D :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:35 am 

(shuffles in chair, looking at the ground)

My name is Brian and I am an collecting addict

It all began with MERP, then expanded into Rolemaster. :D

Years ago I played AD&D and I thought I could pick up those books quite cheaply.  :)

Then there was "what about all the different prints of all those books". Then OD&D, then the supplements. Then what about all the prints of all the supplments.  :(

Of course back at AD&D there were all the modules. And what about those prints?  :cry:

Then there was nostalgia... some of the first modules I played were Judges Guild. Oh look there's Al at ASGI (waves to killjoy32)

Then that tease at Afterglow .... that list just sits there and grins at me. Thieves Guild, Atlantis, Talislanta, Arduin  :lol:

Ach go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, you know you want to ..

Luckily I have support and regular counselling sessions with my therapist who keeps me on the stright and narrow (cheers red_bus) and offers superb advice:

So now I know all I need to do to be cured is to buy a minty woodgrain 1st print.

8)

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:42 am 

Hey, it's got ahold of me, too - and I think I've made it pretty clear I'm a player of older versions of D&D far, far before I'm a collector.

It started when I got Vols. 1 & 3 + Supplement I Greyhawk from a co-worker of my wife (for free, I might add).  Then I quickly tracked down all of the other supplements, Vol. 2 Monsters & Treasures, and so forth.

Then...then I found a very good true 1st copy of the DMG and a true 1st Monster Manual at a local used bookstore.  Then I got a boxed OCE for like $70 from an on-line bookstore.  Oh and then I bought the Tekumel box from Wayne's World of Books (because I thought "oh, this will nicely supplement my OD&D campaign I bet").

So despite my "game first, collect much later-or-never" creedo, I've actually got...gasp...a collection of stuff I don't game with! 8O :oops:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:42 am 

obiter wrote
(shuffles in chair, looking at the ground)

My name is Brian and I am an collecting addict

said in chorus "hi ....Brian"

So now I know all I need to do to be cured is to buy a minty woodgrain 1st print.

..offers group hugs all 'round. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:26 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Fencert used to have it for cheap, but he probably sold all of his copies to Alan...

No, no:  Tadashi's pockets are far deeper than mine (as is his vault!) ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:50 pm 

I have collected the Thieves Guild line with the exception of the second edition box.

Tadashi just emailed me that he has one, but it is in shrinkwrap and he wants $150 for it.  (NOT an unreasonable expectation, by the way....if anyone else is interested.)

I actually try not to buy items in shrinkwrap because I enjoy reading and even using them, and that is not possible behind plastic walls.

I want an opened one...preferably in readable condition, both for price and because I want one that is OK condition, but not necessarily mint.

Oh, and I guess I still need the cardstock pieces of The Compleat Tavern.

Mark   8)

Next