The Collector's Trove: Jeff Perren Benefit Auction
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:58 am 

Howdy All,

Thanks much for your participation! Your bids were very generous. All of the proceeds from the auction will go toward paying for the return of Jeff Perren's book collection. Halfway there!

On my way up to Lake Geneva Gaming Convention in June I stopped in Galena, Illinois, and picked up the 9 boxes of books that made up Jeff's historical warfare book collection. The bookstore owner, Bill Cox, knew what we were doing and gave us a substantial discount. In addition all of the books were cleaned up, recovered with new mylar dust jackets, and several books had original signed letters from their authors inserted. It is a fantastic collection.

Having, invited Jeff to the convention as a guest of honor for the C&C Society Chainmail Tribute game that the The Collector's Trove put on, I waited until Jeff prepared to leave and walked him to the car he was riding home in. (I had moved the whole collection into the trunk as Jeff said his goodbyes.)

It was just Jeff, his friend Bob, and I alone in the parking lot, as I felt a public presentation might embarass Jeff. When the collection was revealed I explained how Kynan, myself, and the whole community of collectors from the Acaeum and elsewhere had pitched in to give him the "break" he deserved. Moved and speechless (Rob Kuntz assures me that Jeff is normally always quick with a quip), Jeff finally managed to say thanks to all of us and commented that the books were like his children.

Hopefully, we can raise enough to cover the rest of the collection and to pay for a cataracts surgery for Jeff.

I'll run another auction in a couple weeks. It will include a labeless woodgrain I bought so many moons ago and a Palace of the Vampire Queen I got recently from one of Jeff's fellow wargamers.

Thanks to Kynan for his generous donation and to Stephen for the two very nice items pledged to future auctions. You guys are a credit to the collecting community.

Any other item donations will be glady accepted.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:25 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:I'll run another auction in a couple weeks.

I suggest you not have something ending during GenCon.  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58 pm 

Howdy Frank,

ExTSR wrote:I suggest you not have something ending during GenCon.  :?

Thanks Frank and thank you for the purchase. You are right and I always try to avoid auctions too close to GenCon.

Shipping quote on the way - those 'zines are heavy! They will have to go Media Mail.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:50 pm 

Howdy All,

Bumping this thread for any discussion pertaining to the Perren Benefit Auction. Thanks and good luck bidding!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:00 pm 

Glad to see so many bids on Richard Snider's personal copy of Adventures in Fantasy:

** expired eBay auction **

I bought this item from Richard, and can tell you it's a nice addition to the collection.  The best part is the personal essay on working with Dave Arneson, and the reasons behind the way Richard signed the first-print copies without his "real" signature (the middle initial is missing).  There are also some interesting tidbits about his experiences working with Dave.

I can certify that I did not make a copy of the essay, so the one Paul is including with the auction is presumably the only copy in existence (Richard didn't retain a copy for himself, either).

Go for it!

-Stephen

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:52 pm 

Howdy Stephen,

bombadil wrote:I bought this item from Richard, and can tell you it's a nice addition to the collection.

Thanks again for your donations Stephen. I'm sure that one will top the bidding list.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:03 pm 

The GW character sheets look like they're for D&D and not AD&D.

I guess these are A4 instead of 8.5" x 11"?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:25 pm 

Howdy,

Yes they are an A4 format. I slipped with the AD&D reference but if you look at the character sheets they use several rules found only in the 1978 Player's Handbook as far as I can tell. So despite being labeled as D&D they are compatible with AD&D. In particular: weapon proficiency slots, # of attack vs <1HD creatures for fighters, and the 9 point alignment system (as opposed to the 3 or 5 point alignment system).

Ah, well, no revising the title now, hopefully everyone can figure it out for themselves looking at the picture.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:44 pm 

Cataract surgery ought to be covered under medicare/medicaid, just fyi.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:09 pm 

Ethesis . . . I agree; so should hearing aids (no, not a slam at all--in my case, truth for a family member's hearing going bad; I feel like the world's largest hearing aid :!:  :D  :lol: .).  

Strange that heart surgery and weight-reduction surgery [gastric bypass, etc.] IS covered, but not hearing aids, dental work, and cataract surgery?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:48 pm 

Howdy Steve,

Yes Jeff has tried to apply for Medicare but is having some qualification issues. He has to meet certain requirements but is fairly destitute. I think he has to wait until a certain age too. Anyway, if Jeff could get Medicare and take care of the problem he would. Oh, I forgot, he is also waiting for the condition to stabilize - apparently catarcts have to be at a certain stage for the surgery to have any longterm affect.

Nonetheless, all funds from the auction are going to pay off the recovery of his historical book collection for now. The cataract surgery is a down the road goal but still on my radar.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:24 am 

Wow.  The AIF auction blew away my expectations:

** expired eBay auction **

Well done, Bill!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02 pm 

Howdy All,

Hey, thanks again to the bidders. Chipping away at the cost for recovering Jeff's book library!

Thanks again, Kynan, Stephen, Trudy, and Greg (R.I.P.) for contributing items.

Any other donations of items for auction would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you have anything to contribute. Thanks!  

I'll give Jeff a call this evening and get a report of how things are going.

Futures Bright,

Paul