Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:21 am 

zhowar wrote:March 1981 "The DUNGEON!" catalog rather than the usual 1981 "Gateway" TSR Catalog:
[ Image ]
Has the "The DUNGEON!" logo (adventurers in a cave w/ eyes/mouth)

Does anyone know what products had this logo and does anyone have a decent scan of the logo?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:17 am 

Kevin -

The original picture (much larger) used for that logo is on page 15 of the Blackmoor OD&D supplement.

You can download a pdf of the supplement for free from this Dave Arneson website:
http://www.jovianclouds.com/blackmoor/bmc.html

I'm not aware of it being used on any products other than the Dungeon Hobby Shop order forms.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:24 am 

kevin mayle wrote:Does anyone know what products had this logo and does anyone have a decent scan of the logo?

I have the logo on some old Dungeon Hobby Shop flyers:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/fl ... yshop1.jpg

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:25 am 

zhowar wrote:Here's a 1 & 1/2 page 1978 TSR advertisement that I haven't seen before...

[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Lizard Logo, advertises Monster Manual, Warlocks & Warriors and the Basic Set.

Uh... I understand that companies must strive to get our (i.e. retailers) attention but this is... ahem... an interesting way to focus mind on TSR products  8O (pretty girl, horrific shoes!). I remember seeing a couple of ads for Steve Jackson Games featuring a Pocket Game in a a jeans' pocket worn by a woman with a lovely pair of buttocks  :D  8O  :!: Jokes aside, I keep attempting to recover issues of retailers' magazines for games of the '80s but it's a very hard battle. If sellers are convinced that ripping them is more profitable than selling them complete, it will get still more difficult. So far I managed to get ONE issue of Game Merchaindising and four issues of Model Retailer incorporating said magazine. They are a true mine of facts, trivia and info (I remember reading Game Merchandising and using some of their suggestions about displaying RPGs  8O , despite there were more than 20 years old).

If you ever happen to stumble in old game retailers' magazines, please do not rip them  :cry:  Contact me first - I'll surely buy them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:01 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:
Uh... I understand that companies must strive to get our (i.e. retailers) attention but this is... ahem... an interesting way to focus mind on TSR products  8O (pretty girl, horrific shoes!). I remember seeing a couple of ads for Steve Jackson Games featuring a Pocket Game in a a jeans' pocket worn by a woman with a lovely pair of buttocks  :D  8O  :!:

Remember, 1978 was the midst of the platform-shoe craze; but I agree--she should be wearing black over-the knee or "pirate" boots! :)  :)  :!:  :idea:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:07 pm 

Not as salacious (or even as interesting :D) as some of the stuff that has been posted here... but this ad is (afaik) the first time I ever saw D&D mentioned anywhere.  It's from the back page of the June 1980 issue of Fantastic Film.  According to the cover, it's "Collector's Edition #8", but I just bought it because it had lots of articles on The Empire Strikes Back (R2-D2 and C-3PO are on the front).  I didn't really know what the ad was about, but for some reason I kept the magazine - still in good nick after all these years!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:26 pm 

Mars wrote:
I have the logo on some old Dungeon Hobby Shop flyers:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/fl ... yshop1.jpg

Thanks for that tremendous scan! That's exactly what I wanted.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:59 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:
Thanks for that tremendous scan! That's exactly what I wanted.

Yes - very nice, very high resolution scans. I just put the Hobby Shop one as the background on my computer. Thanks, Mars.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:12 am 

I posted these a while back but maybe its worth posting again.  When I bought my copies of Strategic Review and Dragon 1-6 there was also this bundle of flyers and a note from TSR.  It seems the flyers are from the time during the transition between Strategic Review and The Dragon.  Here's a link to flyers I have:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/flyers/flyers.html

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:04 am 

sleepyCO wrote:
Remember, 1978 was the midst of the platform-shoe craze; but I agree--she should be wearing black over-the knee or "pirate" boots! :)  :)  :!:  :idea:

Well, in 1978 I was ten years old so I wasn't that sensitive about pretty girls' shoes. And I was in Italy, not in the US: we Italians have a very good taste about shoes, you know  :P  :wink: I hope my mother never used shoes like those  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:14 pm 

Well...I thought this one might go under the radar, but my $40+ bid didn't even register

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0092484674

Although, the box and contents look fairly minty, I'm guessing the reason for the price is that very interesting Gateway To Adventure.  I've never seen it, and I couldn't locate any record of it on the site here. Has anyone here seen it or know anything about it? Hopefully the winning bidder will tell us about it. He is a member here I think?

Last edited by seeyouinescrow on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:26 pm 

Mars wrote:I posted these a while back but maybe its worth posting again.  When I bought my copies of Strategic Review and Dragon 1-6 there was also this bundle of flyers and a note from TSR.  It seems the flyers are from the time during the transition between Strategic Review and The Dragon.  Here's a link to flyers I have:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/flyers/flyers.html

Och ya bastard - they look great!  8O

Very jealous. :cry:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:17 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Well...I thought this one might go under the radar, but my $40+ bid didn't even register

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Although, the box and contents look fairly minty, I'm guessing the reason for the price is that very interesting Gateway To Adventure.  I've never seen it, and I couldn't locate any record of it on the site here. Has anyone here seen it or know anything about it? Hopefully the winning bidder will tell us about it. He is a member here I think?

I have only seen the Black Gateway catalog once before but really don't know anything about it.  From the description it sounds a bit like more of a dealer catalog since it comes with the order forms.  As far as I know, eyeofvecna doesn't post here.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Well...I thought this one might go under the radar, but my $40+ bid didn't even register

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Although, the box and contents look fairly minty, I'm guessing the reason for the price is that very interesting Gateway To Adventure.  I've never seen it, and I couldn't locate any record of it on the site here. Has anyone here seen it or know anything about it?

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see the auction, nor have I seen that black cover Gateway before. Very interesting. For posterity, here is the picture from the auction:

Seller's description: "We are also including "Gateways to Adventure" which are 1980 retail order forms and 6 page color catelogue."

Included in auction with a 4th+ Print Basic Set

It looks fairly thick, so there must be a large number of the order forms if the catalog is only 6 pages long.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:19 am 

Cool find! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:46 am 

zhowar wrote:It looks fairly thick, so there must be a large number of the order forms if the catalog is only 6 pages long.

Yes, that's very interesting!  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am 

Looking at the pic a little more closely, it appears from the sides of the pages that there are two groupings of pages there---perhaps there's a standard catalog within the black folder, and the sheaf of order forms are below it??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm 

Found two more in some items I just listed on eBay.
The small digest sized Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine second and third issues from 1977.

30 year old magazines on newsprint have discolored somewhat, but other than that are in pretty good shape (handling and shelf wear).

The Metamorphosis ad appears in the Summer issue and the Lankhmar appears in the fall.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

PreviousNext