Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:35 pm 

for your viewing pleasure, the ad for the 1st print Australian Set 1 Basic Rules (Acaeum's 2nd print)

1st date available was approx Sept of 1987. This comes from Breakout! gamers magazine Issue 28, Sept - Nov

Attachment:
12734004_10208866547359786_8300351583103336183_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:25 am 

this was a catalog-ish type advertisement from later 1982 that was printed on the opposite side of a small poster titled "The Adventure is Yours" (featuring Larry Elmore art originally used on a Dragon magazine cover obviously). While I've seen this thing by itself a few times, I didn't realize that they were folded/stapled into early 1983 Dungeon Hobby Shop catalogs.

Attachment:
15078944_10212105050960352_6726242079190826090_n.jpg

Attachment:
16114149_10212105051000353_6149688742418211950_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:48 am 

Here's a Star Frontiers ad from November 1983 in an Amazing Stories issue

Attachment:
Star Frontiers AmazingStories1983 November.jpg

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:Last October I transcribed the text of the Dungeon Key and Example of Play (partial) using the scan of page 4 posted on Tome of Treasures. I posted this in the Classic Forum on Dragonsfoot:

Dragonsfoot • View topic - Dungeons of the Ground Goblins [OD&D]

grodog, if you can supply the first part of the Example of Play, I'll add it to what I posted over there.

grodog wrote: I have no idea what PCC stands for, but it seems to account for another, local-US instance of this ad/article, at least.

People's Computer Company?

People's Computer Company - Wikipedia

DigiBarn Documents: People's Computer Company Newsletters

The second site is linked from the wikipedia page. It has covers scans (and some articles) from their newsletter, which looks like a newspaper in some editions. If you click on the Nov-Dec 1978, there's a scanned 3-page article on Runequest.

DigiBarn Newsletters: Runequest  in People's Computers Nov-Dec 1978

....Continuing the search...I think this is it:

The PCC Games List

V5N2 September 1976

* P. 02 Star Trek (six pages of stuff sent by readers, edited by Mellow Flash)
   * P. 08 But It's Fun, But It's Educational: Computer Games in the Classroom by Joanne Koltnow Verplank
   * P. 16 PLANETS by Mac Oglesby. BASIC listing and sample run.
   * P. 18 Journey to the Center of the Earth by Andrew A. Aronson. BASIC listing and sample run.
   * P. 20 Dungeons & Dragons by Steve Jackson. Description, information, ...
   * P. 30 Crossword Puzzle by Frank Armbruster
   * P. 31 Hats by Frank Armbruster. BASIC listing and sample run.

This is from an index Bob Albrecht (PCC founder) created with the gaming contents of the early PCC issues. Other issues of possible interest to D&D/RPG collectors:

V4N4 January 1976
* P. 25 Flying Buffalo by Rick Loomis. Descriptions of play-by-mail games and tabletop games such as Dungeons & Dragons

V4N5 March-April 1976
* P. 11 Good Gaming. Descriptions of role-playing and board games: Dungeons & Dragons, Tunnels & Trolls, Stellar Conquest, and Empire of the Petal Throne

This page on the same site has similar information, plus discussing Dave Arneson:

Links and Resources

The dragon notes: My good friend Dave Arneson is the creator of Dungeons & Dragons. Check out his web site: The world of Blackmoor & Dave Arneson creator of D&D, http://castleblackmoor.com/

Also of interest:
"Good Gaming!," a survey article about role-playing games, including D&D, appeared in PCC V4N5 Mar-Apr 1976. The 3-page article "Dungeons & Dragons" by Steve Jackson was reprinted by permission in PCC V5N2 Sep-Oct 1976.

The last time I talked to Dave, he was teaching computer game design in...

Amazing what's out there on the internet, just waiting to be found...in a perfect world, an index of every periodical ever published would be posted somewhere on the web.

and

grodog wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:
grodog wrote:Better than that, I scanned the entire article.  If anyone has a copy of the UK version, it would be interesting to compare the two, to see if any differences exist (beyond the simple dialectic ones).  edit:  I'll have to repost it, looks like the filename's not working right :(

Fixed: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/te ... eprint.pdf

Some additional zine context discovered for this piece by Gabor "Melan" Lux at Beyond Fomalhaut: [BLOG] Don't Nick the Bucket: Further Zine Insights into Early D&D

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:14 pm 

The Dungeons & Dragons Entertainment Corp return postcard caught my eye here:  White Box original collector 039 s edition 3 volume set DUNGEONS amp DRAGONS 1974 | eBay

Here's the image as an attachment:

Attachment:
s-l1600[1].jpg

It looks like it may have been pulled from another product, perhaps, since the right-edge isn't cut straight?

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:13 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

A retailer magazine which includes a slightly interesting ad for the Holmes box that might not have been posted before. Slightly interesting because this new-fangled "scenario" called B1 is apparently so effective at teaching the game that you can start playing in 15 minutes. (Kudos to the seller for the clear photo, since you are stealing from them if you so much as look at the item without buying.)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 am 

sauromatian wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Just seeing the New Zoo Revue ad, I'll have that crazy song in my head for at least two weeks.  I feel so old all of a sudden.   PDT_Armataz_01_02

-SKA

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:07 pm 

This auction's a good one to save re: GenCon ephemera:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 pm 

grodog wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:This auction's a good one to save re: GenCon ephemera:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Allan.

I was looking at these closely for the webpage.  They are photocopies of an original.  I asked a few knowledgeable sources and couldn't confirm if the photocopies were sent out to potential volunteers or if a "original" would have been sent out.  Still very cool.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:36 pm 

So catalog prices have been on the move lately, but this seems a little excessive...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:00 pm 

I came across this mock up for T1-4 today. I don’t recall seeing it before.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:09 pm 

There's a link to it on the Supermodules page Supermodules (just above the words "Expanded Description").

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:32 am 

[quote="blackdougal";p=335639]So catalog prices have been on the move lately, but this seems a little excessive...[/quote]

That seems like a lot of 1997 binders in a short time frame.  I'll have to check how mine compares but everything in the photos looks familiar.  I sold off 3 other press kits a little while back for $400 each (on one of the Facebook groups).

There was also this 1997 one (missing most of the catalog pages):

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:47 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:There's a link to it on the Supermodules page Supermodules (just above the words "Expanded Description").

Foul

Great! I had not caught that link. Thanks Scott.

I see a link for UA but not Oriental Adventures.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:58 am 

grodog wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:This auction's a good one to save re: GenCon ephemera:

Allan.

These papers are part of James awards personal collection

:?

Previous