Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 pm 

I think that this is a brand new ad.  It's from Fantastic Films in Sept 1980.  We seen this specific ad template before among the ones that Zach posted about back in September, but this one's in color, and it features B2 instead of B1, which gives us a better view of the variant angled white banner for B2:

In this image, I can't read the text in the banner's first line, but the 2nd line is "Basic Set", which does align to the mocked up cover @ B2pre (as do the rest of the cover elements, down to the appearance that the logo/address/ISBN were pasted in (clearer in the ad than the Acaeum mockup image).  

The module doesn't look to me like it has a booklet in it, so that also supports Paul's sense that it's just an advertising mockup, as does the fact that in the color ad image here, it seems me that the B2 cover is B&W.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:58 pm 

grodog wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:In this image, I can't read the text in the banner's first line

It reads, "For Dungeons & Dragons".

Foul

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:44 am 

Does anyone have in their possession an angled B2, or was it just a prototype/used in advertisements?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:Does anyone have in their possession an angled B2, or was it just a prototype/used in advertisements?

Thus far the consensus seems to be that it's a prototype.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 am 

Thanks for posting that, Allan. I had seen that ad before, but your scan is much better than the one I had, which was from an Ebay auction (clipping from a magazine). I also didn't know where it had been published. And I couldn't tell the B2 was B&W.

As you guys have pieced together, the words in the corner "FOR DUNGEONS & DRAGONS BASIC SET" match the 1st printing. There are two elements on the cover that are not found on the 1st print cover: The IBSN number, lower left, below "Printed in the U.S.A." and the last three lines of text on the cover that begin "Distributed to the book trade..."
Both of these elements are instead found in on the title page of the published module (1st print).

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:was it just a prototype/used in advertisements?

In the biz we call that a "mockup".
This was typically a fake cover with an older module's interior, for bulk in the photo.

A prototype is a first-version that's complete but needs improvement.

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:35 am 

just for posterity in case anyone else searches around for a 1983 Dragon Magazine subscription advertisement insert flyer, I figured this might be a good place to save it. I recently ran across it on an ebay auction in a World of Greyhawk boxed set from 1983, which I didn't realize it was found in. I got mine originally in a red Basic boxed set from 1983. I guess it's possible it could've been found in the blue Expert set as well.

There's some different later Dragon inserts which also feature Roslof artwork, among a few others including the Cavalier and another with the Barbarian (re-purposed from UA). However, this Flying Dragon artwork was done specifically for this insert (original is actually a black & white painting).
Attachment:
10262156_10204265353172807_7843178081855067988_n.jpg

example from a World of Greyhawk Boxed set (from ebay)
Attachment:
10349093_10204265357492915_545444303300626503_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:15 pm 

Adding this image

and this one

from the auction at  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:25 am 

What about this finding?

It's on the way and as soon as i get it, i will check whether the leaflet included in the box is the "Understanding D&D"!

ciaooo

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:17 am 

It looks like it is this one:

Understanding

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:54 pm 

grodog wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:
sauromatian wrote in Interesting Items Currently on eBay:If it is the insert included with the game, & includes "Dungeon of the Ground Goblins," then some of the history should be re-written. I had previously heard that the game insert (for the UK GW edition of Holmes) consists of a photocopy of Jackson's article in Games & Puzzles magazine #48 (May '76). However the insert shown in this eBay auction does not have the same text, although it looks like the insert could have been expanded from the article (both mention Midgard & Hyboria). The illustrations also differ.

Nice spot aia!  I added both images from the auction to the ads thread @ Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
(copied over from here in the Interesting Items thread).

There are at least four different versions of the article/insert with 'Dungeons of the Ground Goblins', detailed here. The fourth version, with the Holmes Basic Set on the cover, just turned up this year; see here.

The 'new' article may be a later, re-written version of the article. While the text is different there are similarities in the topics, including a mention of the Midgard and Hyboria games in each near the beginning.
There's a staple near the spine - possibly this article was taken out of a magazine and re-stapled?

Here's an even larger image from the auction: (click on the image for a larger view)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:40 am 

This is another kindof "understanding D&D" made in UK:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 am 

I skimmed the thread and didn't see this one, from the back cover of The Spartan #10 (dated April 1976):

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:19 am 

That's great, thanks for posting that. It looks like another iteration of the earliest D&D ad, being identical to the 5th version that Jon posted, except for the addition of a Lizard Logo at the bottom, and a change from "VISIT A WORLD OF" to "TRY THE REAL THING!". I'd guess that change was made specifically in response to the Warlock supplement published in the previous issue of the same magazine.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 am 

Do we have variations of the Minifigs ad from the Greyhawk folio captured anywhere?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 am 

Hilarious:

"Dungeons is playable with paper and pencil or..."

'Dungeons' as a short name for D&D?
Certainly prior to any legal review whatsoever...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:20 am 

I have a retail order blank dated June 1980.
It has 8 sheets, seven have a letter at the bottom right and printed on both sides :
A (picture 1), B, C, D, F, G, H, K and the last page has no letter and printed on one side only (picture 2). Page E (should be Ral partha Page 1), page I (?) and page J (?) are missing in my copy.
Back of page H is an ad for Gen Con XIII (picture 3).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 am 

Attachment:
TSRadFrench.jpg

French version of the motorcycle ad

One of the spacemen ad
Attachment:
TSRadSpace.jpg

PreviousNext