Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 am 

Anyone familiar with an alternate MM2 cover painting?  This was raised as a Q via a 1983 Sears Catalog ad, over @ http://hugeruinedpile.wordpress.com/201 ... -wishbook/

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:26 am 

That's pretty cool.

I zoomed it up to get a better look even though it gets pixelated
Attachment:
MM2 alt art Sears wishbook enlarged.jpg

It kind of looks to me like the catalog comp-type work that the artists all did a lot later in the TSR catalogs.

I have seen an alternate ink proposal that Bill Willingham did for an update on the MM cover (not MM2) from approx '81..obviously before Jeff Easley got there, but I've never seen this.

edit: that reminds me, in one of the other threads I was asking if anyone had an '83 or '84 TSR catalog to check out regarding the RPGA figures/box sets. Maybe in the '83 catalog it has a larger photo of this MM2 alt cover?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:52 pm 

Here are some more catalog pages that had D&D stuff I found on http://www.wishbookweb.com/ and also from (I think) the same person's flikr page.
They're all scans from wishbooks of Sears, JC Penney and Montgomery Ward from the early 80's

JC Penney 1982
Attachment:
JC Penney Christmas Catalog 1982 D+D.jpg

The Sears 1982 one I posted in the Quadrille Graph thread.

Montgomery Ward 1983
I like how they have the older booklets in the photo with the wrong box sets...
Attachment:
Montgomery Ward Christmas Catalog 1983 D+D.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 pm 

misterspock wrote:I like how they have the older booklets in the photo with the wrong box sets...

Or new print :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:26 pm 

Damn, how did I miss out on that cool Knight Rider board game?   :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:08 pm 

How did I miss out on these ads? My mom used to get Sears and JC Penny catalogs, and I don't recall seeing any D&D material.  :(

I recall hearing radio spots for D&D and Star Frontiers. I don't recall TV ads, except for the one for the plastic figures. "Take THAT dragonne!"

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 pm 

here's the Sears 1982 one, as requested to keep them all in the same thread..
Attachment:
Sears Wishbook 1982 D+D.jpg

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:39 pm 

misterspock wrote:Here are some more catalog pages that had D&D stuff I found on http://www.wishbookweb.com/ and also from (I think) the same person's flikr page.

Thanks for sharing! I went through some of the earlier ones back when the link was posted on Grognardia, looking for the Holmes Basic set, but didn't find anything. It seems that D&D didn't get into these types of catalogs until a bit later. Though the coverage is spotty, so others might turn up.

bbarsh wrote:Damn, how did I miss out on that cool Knight Rider board game?   :D

Or Krull or Zaxxon!

Grognardia did a retrospective on Shadowlord! I'd never heard of it before. It has promising looking artwork.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:43 pm 

Zenopus wrote:Thanks for sharing! I went through some of the earlier ones back when the link was posted on Grognardia, looking for the Holmes Basic set, but didn't find anything. It seems that D&D didn't get into these types of catalogs until a bit later. Though the coverage is spotty, so others might turn up.

Yeah I did the same thing in the 79-81 catalogs and then some later ones, but didn't find anything. It's interesting looking back through all the catalogs. I had forgotten about a lot of them, except for the Star Wars exclusives.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:42 pm 

Zenopus wrote:Grognardia did a retrospective on Shadowlord! I'd never heard of it before. It has promising looking artwork.

Shadowlord! is pretty cool.  I loved it as a kid and picked up a copy (cheap) on ebay in the last few years.  The box art in the ad wasn't the final art, though (unless there is more than one version).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:10 am 

Here's a Star Frontiers ad that takes us to the final frontier - the mall:
http://www.retroist.com/2009/05/19/1983 ... ntiers-ad/
I guess it's a reference to the city map included with the game, centered around a mall containing a hobby shop so your characters can go buy more copies of Star Frontiers. Once they get there, you can use this game as tactical-scale terrain - Electronic Mall Madness (now available in Hannah Montana edition):
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5086 ... ll-madness
Or just use it for a Logan's Run scenario.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:17 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:Here's another ad. Later (Wizard Logo) but much odder:

[ Image ]

I don't know where it was published. The image was hosted on a "vintage e-card" website several years ago.

Has the source of this ad ever been found?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 pm 

Not that I know of. A magazine would be the most likely source, but I don't have any specific info.

I'd almost forgotten about this thread!

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:46 am 

Zenopus wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:I'd almost forgotten about this thread!

I haven't. This ad in particular continues to haunt my dreams:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:52 pm 

Here's a later-era 1999 Silver Anniversary catalog entry discussion of an unreleased GH product: unreleased Silver Anniversary Greyhawk product?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:11 pm 

Chris of Hill Cantons has tracked down the source of some unusual D&D ads, one of which was previously featured on the very first page of this thread.
They ran in Omni magazine in late 1980, and there were at least three in the series, one of which I hadn't seen before:

D&D Omni style

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Early TSR/D&D advertisements & catalogs:Chris of Hill Cantons has tracked down the source of some unusual D&D ads, one of which was previously featured on the very first page of this thread.
They ran in Omni magazine in late 1980, and there were at least three in the series, one of which I hadn't seen before:

D&D Omni style

I found two of the three ads: [edit: now all three]

Oct/80 pink/ motorcycle, in French
Nov/80 pink/ motorcycle, in English
Dec/80 blue/ with table, in German
Jan/81 pink/table, in English
Mar/81 green/spacemen, in Hsilgne
Apr/81 green/spacemen, in English

Have you been able to find all three? I don't see the one with spacemen.

Last edited by sauromatian on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 pm 

No, I didn't look - I was just going by what Chris said.

PreviousNext