Gencon, It's about time?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:57 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:No, I am never sarcastic. Caustic, abrasive and rude, but never sarcastic.
It's not that I think 3E sucks. I merely think it is quite possibly the worst game system ever written. I'd rather learn to play Pokemon. If the choice was to clean a public toilet with my tongue and lye, or play a 3E game, I'd have to sit and think hard.

I would agree with Frank, but add one caveat.  Having been playing Neverwinter Nights for a few weeks now, I think it's a GREAT system for a computer game.  My 10th level Barbarian/Cleric has 151 hit points and has so many feats, powers, spells and such I can't keep track. But honestly, it's a great system for a computer game, it works perfectly as a computer game, and seems to have been written for the express purpose of using it as a computer game template.  
  Having said that, I would add to Frank's description that I drink the lye for the toilet cleaning before I EVER sat down and played a 3rd edition game.  I can't even imagine it as a sit down pencil and dice game...too overpowered, over the top and out of control.  I can't even imagine DMing a session...without the computer to figure out your 200 different abilities for you, I wouldn't even attempt this.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:29 pm 

Just how much of this crap must I buy?
The first of a series of WBITD rants

Moved to BITD Thread

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:48 am 

Speaking of twitch, I can't decide whether to get NWN 2. If I understand correctly, they make it difficult to run a persistent world. And my biggest want has always been the ability to buy a house to store stuff.
What I'd like to do is force characters to be encumbered if they decide to lug around 100,000 gp. It really detracts from the game when you can't carry 3 suits of plate, but a truckload of coins is no problem.
Oh wait, it's 3E. I forgot, characters start out with 55 STR.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:20 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Speaking of twitch, I can't decide whether to get NWN 2. If I understand correctly, they make it difficult to run a persistent world. And my biggest want has always been the ability to buy a house to store stuff.
What I'd like to do is force characters to be encumbered if they decide to lug around 100,000 gp. It really detracts from the game when you can't carry 3 suits of plate, but a truckload of coins is no problem.

lol now frank, be good :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:53 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Speaking of twitch, I can't decide whether to get NWN 2. If I understand correctly, they make it difficult to run a persistent world. And my biggest want has always been the ability to buy a house to store stuff.

One of the more realistic mods I played turned each 1000 coins into a lodestone of weight weighing I think 10 lbs.  Made you have to spend that cash or buy jewels, more realistic.  
I would hold off on NWN II for awhile.  It's bound to be buggy as hell, might as well lay off a few months until they get the thing right.

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:15 pm 

I think you're right. After the patches and packs come out, I might give it a whirl. Is anyone else considering it?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:36 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I think you're right. After the patches and packs come out, I might give it a whirl. Is anyone else considering it?

I wont buy it when it is released.  I will probably wait a few months to see if I can find it for less than $50.  I am having plenty of RPG-style fun playing Dungeon Siege 2 at the moment.

Besides, I seriously need to get a new video card.  I cant run either Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or Battlefield 2 on my computer right now because my card can't handle them.  :x

Previous