Gencon, It's about time?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:18 pm 

Stratochamp,

I'm working on a Acaeum luncheon for next year.  Look for a thread a little later on in the season with information.  Will keep it a luncheon so everyone can get back in plenty of time for the auction.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:44 pm 

First up, a huge thanks to Shane for his efforts in securing me a copy of the DCC mod. I hadn't checked the boards for a couple of days, and the current post on this thread was from Shane, advising he was about to leave for Gencon and anybody who wanted a copy had a few hours left. I emailed immediately but I was worried I'd missed out - thankfully not though.

Regarding Gencon itself, man,  I'm with Al and the others who weren't in attendance, and absolutely green with envy. The Acaeum meet up sounds fantastic - VIP treatment by Frank and the chance to rub shoulders with Kask, Wham and others. Gamer paradise.

Al and Brian - if you guys are serious about going next year, I'll commit as well. Not sure exactly how I'll manage it, but my wife is from Chicago and by next August it will have been around 3 years since her last visit home, so maybe we can make the trip. A road trip from Chicago to Indianapolis for 2-3 days of Gencon would be fantastic.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:59 pm 

My only regret this year at GenCon was not meeting more Acaeum members, next year there has to be a set time (course the lunch idea maybe perfect if everyone attends that).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:06 pm 

Plaag wrote:Just to let everyone know the DCC GenCon modules are shipping Thursday the 17th. Just need two people to get in touch with me (PMs have been sent to those two).

ShaneG.

I said it in my PM but I thought I would say it in public as well....

Shane, thanks so much for getting me my copies.

Top Notch.... :!:  :!:  :!:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:07 pm 

That is the purpose of the 1st Annual Acaeum Luncheon, to get everyone together.  A little food, a little laughter, a whole lot of collection envy....

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:12 pm 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Contrarian wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Acaeum site, but I wanted to tell you the truth of what went down at the Goodman Games booth at GenCon last Thursday.  

Grodog's right - I am the guy that did the conversion of DCC #12.5 Iron Crypt of the Heretic from 3.5/d20 to AD&D First Edition.  I put a bunch of hours into that little project, including having the converted version  playtested by no less than 12 people from my gaming group.  I did the conversion to be able to run the module under AD&D at a couple of  conventions.  My compensation for the effort was the personal satisfaction of having done it at all.  I would do it again, for the same pay (and may indeed do just that in the near future).  

Before the convention, I promised the first edition playtesters that I would get each of them a copy of the module, even if I had to buy them myself.  (As I understand it, it is somewhat the industry standard that playtesters get a free copy for their efforts.)  I even let Joseph know that I was planning to buy 15-20 copies for the playtesters and a few other guys that I thought would like copies (including Superfan, the guy that did the awesome Dundjinni battle maps for the module, who was not going to be able to attend the convention).  

I knew that Goodman Games was going to do a small print run.  I think Joseph even said that in his announcement on the Dragonsfoot board.  I had no idea what the module price was going to be at GenCon, nor did I know how big (or small) the print run was going to be ahead of time.  But I suspected that the modules would sell pretty quickly.  

I arrived at the dealer hall at about 10:20 on Thursday morning and headed straight to the Goodman booth.  There it was, a small stack of the AD&D modules, right along side some of Goodman's newest releases.  Joseph came up, interduced himself, and gave me my one comp copy of the module.  I even had a storage tub with me to be able to carry the copies I had intended to buy.  

Then I managed to meet the author of the module, Harley Stroh.  We talked until about 11:30, but I was getting anxious about not getting the playtester copies of the module.  So, I excused myself and went back to the front table of the booth to get the other copies.  

I was told that the 1E modules had already sold out!  Goodman Games did a 60-copy print run of the modules, and they were all gone!  I was in shock!  I got one copy, my copy, and I had promised to get almost 20 copies for other people.  Harley, the author, didn't even get a copy!  The author himself!  

I quickly located Joseph and asked what had happened.  He said that he did a 60-copy print run since he didn't have any idea how it would sell, good or bad.  He honestly didn't think it would sell out at the Con.  He certainly didn't think it would sell out before 11:30 on the first day of GenCon.  

Joseph has done a few special release convention modules for a couple of recent conventions.  Typically, they have been sequels to other adventures in the DCC line.  He had some basis for estimating the number of 3.5/d20 special release convention modules, but he had nothing on which to base the print run for this AD&D compatible, DCC conversion, module.  So, it boiled down to a business decision based upon Joseph's instincts and a few, a few, positive posts on one or two message boards.  

He may have made a bad business decision.  But, there is a good ending to this tale.  Joseph has offered to do a second printing of the module.   Goodman Games is going to take orders for the module for a couple of weeks before doing the second printing.  I think this is a great way for Goodman Games to rectify the error made in underestimating the demand for these modules.  I intend to order the 15-20 I need, even though they will be from the second printing.  

This is a great opportunity for the OD&D/AD&D to speak to the market as one, and to let Goodman Games know how many of us are out here, still playing by the older rules.  I think we could get Goodman's attention if a bunch of folks place orders for the 1E version of this module over the next couple of weeks.  Nothing would make me happier than for Joseph to "have to do" another, much larger print run of this module.  

This module is a proven product.  The 3.5/d20 version has sold well.  It was nominated for Best Adventure for this year's ENnies.  I've ran the converted version 6 times, and it is still fresh and exciting for me as a DM.  Don't miss the opportunity to order a copy of the second printing of the module.  Head to Goodman Games site and place your order.

I know this sounds self serving and all, but honestly, I'm not making anything on the sale of more modules.  The only satisfaction I get is that some other guys that enjoy the same hobby that I do will have the opportunity to get a copy of this great module, and I played a part in making that happen.  

So, don't be too hard on Joseph Goodman and his hard working staff and writers.  A poor business decision may have been made, but they're trying to make things work out in the end.  

Sincerely,

Jon Hershberger
tacojohn4547

Since one for tha above quotes was from me I thought it would best if I reponded....

Hi John and welcome to the site.

Yes, it was me who stated that 'Yes, they are pretty dumb'.

I think what I should of said was 'Yes, they misjudged their market'.

I am not sure what the difference between printing 60 vs 300 vs 600 copies is but I beleive publishing a second edition of the module is a step in the right direction.

How much would it of cost if Goodman Games printed 300 or 600 copies of the module? Not being involved in the industry I am not sure what the cost would of been. I thought printers only had small print runs in the 1000 to 5000 range so something on the order of 60 would be unheard of or does Goodman Games have a small printing arrangement?

I guess what I am trying to say is maybe I should of not been as harsh in my language and that once you leave your message it is there for the world to see.

But publishing only 60 copies seems in my judgement a really really small print run. Maybe it would of been better if 300 or 400 were printed and if there were any left over on Sunday, the next 1e module would of had a smaller print run.

But, this is not going to diminish my purchasing of Goodman Games DCC modules. I will still buy them as they come out and I believe that I am current as of right now (through 31).

I have 1e and 2e type modules and have almost no 3e modules with the exception of Goodmand Games DCC modules because they are in the 1e style.

I will probable buy two cipes of the 2nd edition of the module because I am a collector and really enjoy the 1e style.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:16 pm 

My problem with the print run was mainly that the past were in the order of 300 or so, especially since I too missed Shanes offer to grab them for people :( , just seemed quite strange that so few were done this time

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:18 pm 

Goodman's is doing a 2nd printing and is taking pre-orders now:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =6644#6644

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:27 pm 

The whole experience for me was awesome.  This was my third year and so far the best.  The auction was fun I managed to pick up a few cool items and lose bids on many more.  Meeting and talking with Bill (Stratochamp) was invigorating; his collection is absolutely amazing.  Meeting Plaag, Invincible, Contrarian, Chromatic Knight was cool (I hope I did not miss anybody), getting the button was cool, gaming was cool, Acaeum meeting was fantastic.

I even sold an item to Frank! (I will let Frank release the nature of that item)

Probably the best part for me was going to a place where there are people that have my same interests.  Here in Calgary (Western Canada) I am pretty much alone as far as collectors go.  At Gencon I talk to other collectors, hang out with a few (Hi Gus :)) and I can talk to people that know and care about my hobby.  It really is the only place I know of that this can happen.  RPG game collectors are really a small group, Gencon concentrates this group in one spot for a few days.  It is really hard to describe it.

Anyway another good idea would be for us to have a game (yes this is still a game) while we meet.  There are plenty of spare tables around, just bring a players handbook and some dice and game as well.

Next year Gygax may show; this indeed would be a terrific time to meet.  Arneson is always there as well so autograph can start to appear on some of your favorite stuff if you like that sort of thing.

Notable purchases for me this year include:

Strategic review #1-7
Dragon #1
Three 1st print Blackmoors (Hey the more the merrier I say, I have 5 now)
1st Eldrich wizardry
1st Gods Demi gods and Heroes
Guidon games Ironclad
1st Metamorphosis Alpha
1st print Arduin Grimore #1 (For $11.00 no less 8) )
A few other Ardiun Grimore firsts
Ringbearer book
Realms of Chaos hardcover MINT! (games workshop)
Module D1-2 in shrink MINT ($6.00 8O )
A few other 2nd ed items in shrink
Tons of in package miniature box sets (you guys probably do not care about these much)
DCC 12.5 1st ed conversion Gen Con release :wink:
A bunch of other stuff not worth mentioning here

Great event, the wife also had fun with many miniature companies trying to recruit her for work.  She also painted in the Ace of Aces competition for charity (Miniatures were auctioned off for $800.00)

See you all there next year.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:29 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Al and Brian - if you guys are serious about going next year, I'll commit as well. Not sure exactly how I'll manage it, but my wife is from Chicago and by next August it will have been around 3 years since her last visit home, so maybe we can make the trip. A road trip from Chicago to Indianapolis for 2-3 days of Gencon would be fantastic.

Regards

Mike

mike - i am definately going. i am ultra-pissed about not going this time, so there aint a chance in hell of not going next time. there are other reasons why i am going too, but i will leave that to the relevant ppl to mention that :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:31 pm 

and one more thing...

8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:34 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Anyway another good idea would be for us to have a game (yes this is still a game) while we meet.  There are plenty of spare tables around, just bring a players handbook and some dice and game as well.

The RAM is great for gaming.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:34 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:and one more thing...

[ Image ]

8)

AWSOME!!!  :D  :D  :D

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:and one more thing...

*snip*

8)

wow that is one awesome button!

man you lot are so lucky!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 pm 

Plaag wrote:Goodman's is doing a 2nd printing and is taking pre-orders now:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... =6644#6644

ShaneG.

Thanks Shane, I just placed my order for two copies.

I'm a collecting fool..... :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:56 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:

Um, think most of us are when it comes to one thing or another

*stares at Judges Guild products*

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:51 pm 

stratochamp wrote:very well done (for about the 24th year in a row) !

Thanx but a slight corrigendum... I got involved with the auction in 1980 but had to spend my time on the first RPGA tournaments in '81-82, so it wasn't until 1983 that I assembled a troupe of trolls and trollops and took it by storm. After I ran it for 4 years, the PoG banished me in '87 (I was at NIPI), so I wasn't onstage at all that year or the next. Then she mellowed a bit and I was back in action full-force by '89, and ever since.

And btw, you can't buy those Acaeum buttons; I commissioned them specially with Tom Wham, for attending members only. And as I've said, I have a couple with names on them (like BBarsh!) who didn't even stop in to say hello. Where were you? :/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:14 am 

IttyBitty wrote:

Ditto.
I have seen the link yesterday, and I have placed my order too.
That's fine, that's the one I am translating in french to use it.  :D

PreviousNext