Gencon, It's about time?
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:54 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:The meeting was pretty cool. Frank had Tom Wham make some personalized buttons for the Acaeum members and gave samples of his delicious cookies :D  :D.

Yay! Sounds like a winner... Good show, Frank & Tom. :cool:

Did y'all bring along your woodgrains & suchlike to see whether you could achieve a critical mass of RPG history? (Maybe next year for the (unofficial) 40th anniversary?)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:59 pm 

faro wrote:Yeah, Martin; sounds like they neither care about the money, nor their customers.
Telling that story someone who has bothered to turn up at GenCon and arrives at their stall 90 minutes after opening time ain't going to go down well. "Oh, you can send in an order, plus postage, and maybe we'll run you off a 'second print' if we can justify that".

Saves me the expense of ordering those I was missing from their back-catalog, too, I guess. :D

I think people are too quick to toss out the game company with the bath water.

They only brought 60 copies to GenCon because they were obviously unaware that their product was so sought-after.  They were willing to sell multiple copies to one buyer because they are obviously unaware of their own product line's collectibility.

Goodman Games sounds more like a company that is being cautious about money than the idea that they don't care about their customers.  I am sure that if they had had any idea of the market for their convention special, they would have printed and brought more.  No other interpretation makes sense.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:33 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:No other interpretation makes sense.

Sounds more like a serious misjudgment to me and I'm pretty sure they're well aware of the collectability aspect (they cannot be that blind to the reception of previous limited editions).

Anyhow; as to "cautious about money [issues]", what company can keep business running by selling just 60 copies of a product on a regular basis, far less afford to bring only that number to what could/should be their #1 money-spinning event?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:39 pm 

faro wrote:Sounds more like a serious misjudgment to me and I'm pretty sure they're well aware of the collectability aspect (they cannot be that blind to the reception of previous limited editions).

Anyhow; as to "cautious about money [issues]", what company can keep business running by selling just 60 copies of a product on a regular basis, far less afford to bring only that number to what could/should be their #1 money-spinning event?

There are other possibilities that would be much more nefarious than bad judgement if they were the case. I hope they do not come to pass and I will not mention them as there has never been any indication of that sort of business from the company.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:56 pm 

faro wrote:Sounds more like a serious misjudgment to me and I'm pretty sure they're well aware of the collectability aspect (they cannot be that blind to the reception of previous limited editions).

Based on the prices going now for their other limited editions, I cannot believe they are unaware of the collectibility of their items.  I agree just sounds instead like a serious misjudgement, particularly the fact that someone could have shown up and literally bought every copy if they had wanted to.  Not saying their should have been a limit, but that they should have printed enough copies that a selling limit not be an issue (300-500 doesn't sound extreme since that seems to be the print runs of their previous convention/limited editions).  Personally, I don't care if I got a 2nd or 3rd or 10th printing, I just wanted a copy to read and maybe run for my group.  
   I will say that last year when I wanted to buy a 20.5 Mask of Death and ordered off the website, it turned out they had oversold the item and were out, Goodman games ran more copies to fill all the extra orders.  So I think they company does take care of it's fans and buyers, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an additional printing follows once the convention is over.
   However, the danger is that a company over-reacts to this sort of marketing.  Once thinks of the example of Valiant comics in the early 90's. Early issues of their titles were very short printed, resulting in ridiculous speculation and clamoring for more printings.  Valiant responded by OVERPRINTING succesive issues of most of their titles, resulting in hundreds if not thousands of unsold issues.  To this day, any Valiant title number past the first dozen or so can be found in the nickel or dime box at any comic book convention one attends....Goodman Games doesn't want piles of unsold copies of their special modules laying around.  I don't want them to go broke if they print 10,000 copies of a collectible edition for next year's Gencon and 80% go unsold. There is definitely a happy medium here, I don't doubt they will find it.  This seems like a small mistep that can be easily rectified.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:59 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Same here.  Better start making plans now Badmike!  :D

I'll be there, with enough money to corner the  market on all Goodman Games collectible editions.  :twisted:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:They only brought 60 copies to GenCon because they were obviously unaware that their product was so sought-after.

And that's the problem. Part of running a business is being aware of that sort of thing ...

They cost themselves both money and goodwill. Not good.

That being said, I've always found Goodman to be friendly and enthusiastic, and their DCCs are the only d20 product that doesn't cause bile to enter my mouth. I've even appeared on their web-site, although that's a story for another day ... :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:06 pm 

I'm sorry, Mark, but if your in the gaming business and set up s booth at the biggest convention in your industry to be attended by an estimated 80,000 people you bring more than 60 copies.  They do not understand the collectible market they are in.  They do not understand their place in it.

As for the meeting, I met with Frank and he signed my R2-R4's and told me the story of how R2 came into being.  A great story, i will leave it to him to tell it if he likes.  He gave me my Tom WHam button which is great and the best snickerdoodle cookie I have had the pleasure to eat.  But I missed eveyone else.  Next year I would like to propose getting together for dinner or something like that.  I know all the great resterurants within easy walking distance and will place reservations ahead of time so we can walk in and out.  

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:16 pm 

well martin

i most certainly am going next time as there wont be anything stopping me next time round, so count me in - when you know whats happening next time round n stuff, hook up and lemme know whats going on man ok?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:14 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I'll be there, with enough money to corner the  market on all Goodman Games collectible editions.  :twisted:

Mike B.

These guys are fully aware of the value of the limited editions, they gave me a run down of what each one was worth.  Really they wanted to sell out of this one. They were laughing about it when I bought my copy.

Now back to the auction 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:02 pm 

I will keep everyone in the loop.  I'm planning a big year at Gencon next year.  Did not have any money for the auction.  I will next year.

I would really like to buy a Canadian Dwarf, anyone know what they do for? :wink:

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:55 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
That sounds cool.  I think I have to make sure that I make the trip next year. :)

Me too... :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:08 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I would really like to buy a Canadian Dwarf, anyone know what they do for? :wink:

Martin

?????????Canadian Dwarf

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:44 pm 

I thought that might get your attention.  Just mad I missed catchin up with you at Gencon.  For the second straight year I was unable to meet with any Acaeum members.  Next year will be different.  I'm going to try to get everybody together for lunch or dinner.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:33 pm 

Prufrock wrote:I thought that might get your attention.  Just mad I missed catchin up with you at Gencon.  For the second straight year I was unable to meet with any Acaeum members.  Next year will be different.  I'm going to try to get everybody together for lunch or dinner.

Martin

Sounds good, I will be there next year as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:26 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Sounds good, I will be there next year as well.

I'll be there selling 2nd edition homemade copies of all the Goodman Games modules...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:36 pm 

Am back..Yes I got 16 copies (so 1 or 2 copies for all those I had on the list)..I missed the meeting with the Acaeum and Frank (but did get a private tour from Frank later on - just no cookies  :cry: ) Love the button (shall have to scan that in some time)
Judges Guild stuff was really non existant at this con, though I did get Inferno in really good condition for $15

Well, back to reading up on all these messages and I'll get back to people tommorrow (shall probably collapse after I've read all the new emails/messages)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:38 pm 

Plaag wrote:Am back..Yes I got 16 copies (so 1 or 2 copies for all those I had on the list)..I missed the meeting with the Acaeum and Frank (but did get a private tour from Frank later on - just no cookies  :cry: ) Love the button (shall have to scan that in some time)
Judges Guild stuff was really non existant at this con, though I did get Inferno in really good condition for $15

Well, back to reading up on all these messages and I'll get back to people tommorrow (shall probably collapse after I've read all the new emails/messages)

ShaneG.

You rock Shane!  :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext