new high auction price! $5100 for OD&D 1st
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2
Author


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2792
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 06, 2022
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:19 pm 
 

This morning I was lying in bed reading (the New York Review of Books) about the dramatic sea level rises to come as a result of climate change.  

Thought it was time to sink all my remaining resources into small portable paper products.  :wink:


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:20 pm 
 

re.  
** expired/removed eBay auction **


bombadil wrote:Raises hand tentatively.  

Hard to tell from the pic, but appears close to the condition of mine.


*nods*. Was judging by the other books in the auction, too, and gradings on those - rather perilous to do.

A little bit of staple rust is usual on the 2nds, whereas the 1sts are relatively rust free (different type of staple).



Yeah, you got a good 'un, Stephen.

Some of those are rather lumpy/spine-creased owing to the production and somewhat unattractive even if otherwise VF. Most (and there ain't been that many around) are in well-used, lower grades.



I didn't see any other hands go up, so I'm guessing around half-a-dozen accounted for in that sort of condition. (IMHO a 3rd woodgrain definitely benefits from having a good, solid 2nd GH to go with it...)

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:25 pm 
 

red_bus wrote:This morning I was lying in bed reading (the New York Review of Books) about the dramatic sea level rises to come as a result of climate change.  

Thought it was time to sink all my remaining resources into small portable paper products.  :wink:

^^
Don't worry; we're getting deep into a "collector" market, now, of the comics ilk where #1 is often worth 5 times more than #2 and #5 or 6 are given away as freebies with breakfast cereal.
And good luck spotting the logic behind that...

(Not much good that I can say 'bout such trends, tbh).

=
Would love to know /what/ you're eating now, btw!
Any luck with the woodgrain cleanup/resale plan? ;)

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2792
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 06, 2022
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 pm 
 

faro wrote:^^
Don't worry; we're getting deep into a "collector" market, now, of the comics ilk where #1 is often worth 5 times more than #2 and #5 or 6 are given away as freebies with breakfast cereal.


...or nearly nine times.  8O  
I am surprised too, and think that I might have gone a little overboard.  But it will be a nice part of the collection.  

What can you do?  I want prices to stay low and I know that by bidding on any ebay auction I am playing a part in that process.  But the alternative means not having as much chance of winning auctions.

faro wrote:Would love to know /what/ you're eating now, btw!
Any luck with the woodgrain cleanup/resale plan? ;)


Am relying upon the largesse of friends - a very nice fish dinner in Islington this evening.  Plain porridge for breakfast tomorrow though.  :)


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2