Playing Sounds during gaming
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:27 pm 

I know I recall seeing someone (during Katrina last year I believe) posting about their setup, and talking about how they had the capability to play sounds/music (via PC) during their sessions.  I am scouring the web looking for a utility to do this, and do it with some reasonable stability, but have been entirely unsuccessful.  

Anyone got any ideas?  

The program I found was called SoundFX ... I may have gotten it off of Alderon's Tower / OD&Dities or somewhere; in any event, the program kind of sucks, crashes a lot, etc.  

I could just play the music files in WinAmp, but I would like something a little more robust in the interface department...

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Bret / Giant OD&D Nerd

WWW ICQ  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:13 pm 

This program seems to be the thing I'm looking for.  Others might like it as well.

http://www.rpgaudiomixer.com/?page_id=37

WWW ICQ  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:23 pm 

If you just want to play sounds, why not use Media Player?

If you you want to edit and do other things use Audacity, its freeware,  or Goldwave.

If you want to do mixing, then use Acoustica.  If you have "problems" with the latter, I can advise further.

Gary H. Kramer

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:45 am 

I really like the program I found above, vs. Media Player or winamp, because of the increased functionality over something that is just emulating a stereo player.

I gave it a test run on my game yesterday, and it worked great.  I'm not super great at remembering to turn on the combat music, but otherwise, it works very well.  NWN music to the rescue!

WWW ICQ