Proposal for drawing an ebayer guideline
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:44 am 

hi there!
i was thinking to propose you a topic in which everyone can add his suggestion to improve quality in ebay searches...
what i'd like to have is a sort of list of tips in which everyone share his knowledge and experience with all of us...

just an example: which kind of search do you perform in order to look for an early print of AD&D PHB?

i'd like to start whit some tips i usually adopt for early versions of D&D boxes: my keywords are arneson + gygax + TSR or white box + d&d...

i just add a question: how do you manage the problem that the "&" character is read by the search engine of ebay as a space?

tnx and ciao

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:03 am 

I've no idea how to get around the '&'.  :?

I trust everyone here knows all the different things than can be done in an eBay search?  There are tons of cool things.

Here is one of my daily searches:

(Grenadier,Partha) +Monster*

The parenthesis mean "look for the word "Grenadier" OR "Partha".
The + means "it MUST contain the word "Monster"
The * is a wildcard search, so it will find anything starting with "Monster".  I usually throw those in to cover plural's, like "Monsters"

This finds me all Monster minis made by either Grenadier or Partha.  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:41 am 

Gus Landt wrote:I've no idea how to get around the '&'.  :?

I trust everyone here knows all the different things than can be done in an eBay search?  There are tons of cool things.

Here is one of my daily searches:

(Grenadier,Partha) +Monster*

The parenthesis mean "look for the word "Grenadier" OR "Partha".
The + means "it MUST contain the word "Monster"
The * is a wildcard search, so it will find anything starting with "Monster".  I usually throw those in to cover plural's, like "Monsters"

This finds me all Monster minis made by either Grenadier or Partha.  8)

Jeebus.  When did they add wildcards?  That'll save me some typing.  I'm still waiting for a shorthand version of "no f*cking plastic minis".  :evil:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:58 pm 

This is my metafilter for finding AD&D stuff:

"ad&d" -2e -3e -mini -booster -"al qadim" -planescape -fr -"forgotten realms" -ebberon -3.5 -d20 -ravenloft -"2nd ed" -2nd -3rd -partha -mystara -dragonlance -"dark sun" -citadel -magazine -birthright -miniature -d&d -warhammer -dice -spelljammer -runequest -"judges guild" -"white dwarf"

...but knowing I can add wildcards now makes it a lot more flexible.

Like, f'rex, I can change -warhammer to -warham*, and -runequest to -runeq*, -dragonlance to -shitpile...er, -dragonla* and so forth, and thereby add more filter options.

Let's give this a go...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:14 pm 

aia wrote:just an example: which kind of search do you perform in order to look for an early print of AD&D PHB?

I don't look for that item, but I do look for miniatures and pirate-related RPGs:

Miniatures:  (custom.cast, dungeon.dwellers, fantasy.lord, fantasy.lords, grenadier, ral.partha)  (lead, metal, pewter, mini, minis, miniature, miniatures, figure, figures)  -axis  -battletech  -german  -playstation  -soviet  -star.wars

Pirates: (pirate, priate, pirates, priates, swashbuckler, swashbucklers, swashbuckling) -angelfire -booster -ccg -china.sea -china.seas -crimson.coast -dragon.queen -merp -of.davy.jones -of.the.revolution -of.the.spanish.main -pirates.revolution -star.trek -star.wars -traveller -warhammer

I didn't know that wildcards could be used for searches; wildcards would make searching simpler (fewer keywords to type for misspellings and plurals) or more specific (more wildcard keywords fitting in the same character limit).

If I find an item that someone else is bidding on, then I look at all of the other items that my competition is bidding on.  I often find that the other bidder has similar tastes.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:11 pm 

AuctionSieve is good at this sort of thing, since the entire program is built around the concept of keywords and "trash" words (which would be, more or less, the same thing as using the minus sign in an eBay search string).

Two caveats: I'm not sure what AuctionSieve's reaction to wild-cards is (it's been a while since I've been doing any heavy buying), and I believe that the program does not return results from eBay Stores. I can say without reservation, though, that anyone who uses three or more minus signs in their eBay searches should at least give AuctionSieve a test drive.

And, yes, Nev gives me $1 every time I mention his program.* :)

Find it here

+++++

*not really

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:28 pm 

I tried Auctionsieve but I can't get it to work on my iMac with OS 10.3.9. Apparently there's all sorts of problems with compatibility with Quicktime Updates. I tried a few things but it started to be a real timesuck & I gave up.

http://www.auctionsieve.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:33 pm 

Wow, that blows. :(

If you decide to upgrade, I can assure you that it has worked great for me with all the various versions of 10.4.whatever.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:56 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:-dragonlance to -shitpile...er, -dragonla*

:)  :D  :P  :lol:

Thanks for the laugh.