Chainmail Tribute Game: The Battle for the Moathouse
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:16 pm 

Chainmail Tribute Game: The Battle for the Moathouse

Howdy Folks,

Just a pointer to a little write up I did for the Castle & Crusade Society Chainmail Tribute Game I ran at Lake Geneva Gaming Convention in June:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18763

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm 

Thanks Paul :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:29 pm 

I actually got a sweet chill looking at the miniature moat setup with the module illustration in the corner.  Just awesome, thanks
What's the ballpark cost on getting something like that custom-designed?

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:38 pm 

[/cloakingdevice]

I must de-lurk to bump the coolest event of 2006.  Bravo, gentlemen.  8)

[cloakingdevice]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:42 pm 

That's an outstanding piece of work, well done.

Any idea of the origins of the Treant figure?  Is it scratchbuilt/home-made?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:12 pm 

yes rob was telling me about it and what a blast it was - now having pics to see as well its amazing!

wow!

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:07 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:What's the ballpark cost on getting something like that custom-designed?

Prolly a grand with shipping, I'd guess.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:37 pm 

Howdy Allan,

grodog wrote:Thanks Paul :D

You are welcome. The last several weeks up to and following the Convention nearly killed me with stress. Thus my absence from any contribution here.

I got the Moathouse and it was damaged and some of it got lost in the mail. I literally got the last of it 3 days before the Convention and was painting and repairing it in the 24 hours preceding the Con.

Ral Partha did some special rush castings for me and got the figures all to me within 3 days of the Conventions. That's right. In fact, the figures were all glued, mounted, primed, and (the heroes) painted within 24 hours of the Convention!

I had a buddy help me with a marathon of painting. He did the treant in about 45 minutes and the mounted commander - complete with Verbobonc Heraldry - in about and hour!

I made a mistake on my order form and got historical Gauls instead of Chaos crossbowmen. To fix it the owner of Iron Wind Metals personally cast up the miniatures I needed and mailed them as soon as they were cool enough! I got those figures at the hotel at Lake Geneva when I arrived the day before the Convention and had to prime them on my hotel balcony.

The morning of the Event I realized I had forgotten trees for the grove in the meadow and dispatched one of my friends to find some. He arrived just as the event started with railroad trees in hand!

There was a mistake on the C&C Society t-shirts with the members' original heraldry. I recieved them just 1 day before the Con. Gygax's shirt should have said "No Quarter!", instead the motto read "No Quarters!" and so did his coffee mug and coaster. I had the person who made the mistake fix it but the mugs and t-shirts didn't arrive at the hotel in Lake Geneva until the afternoon before the event!

After the event it took some time to recover - heck it took me two weeks to put the online version of the event together.

Despite all of this and the wake of neglected responsibilities that cascaded in the following days the event was totally worth it.

I got Gary, Jeff, Rob, John, Bill, Ernie, and Jim to all play Chainmail with me. It was so great to see them literally arm-in-arm, laughing, reminiscing, joking, smiling, and acting like kids again.

Seeing Jeff and Gary, shoulder to shoulder, looking over a 1st print copy of Chainmail and Cavaliers and Roundheads was priceless.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:41 pm 

Howdy,

VermilionFire wrote:I actually got a sweet chill looking at the miniature moat setup with the module illustration in the corner.  Just awesome, thanks
What's the ballpark cost on getting something like that custom-designed?

Frank is right. It cost about a grand.

It was produced by Wes at Basement Troll Studio. He did a fantastic job and has great attention to detail. Tell 'em Paul sent you - so he knows who to complain to:P

Seriously, Wes is reasonable but now that he knows how long the exacting specifications take to complete he will likely charge more. He quoted me for 4 weeks of work and it took 7. It may, however, take him less time since he has done it once and has suffered the reverses and setbacks of such exacting work - I'm a taskmaster on detail.

The whole thing is custom made and has "ruined" parts so that it can convert from the ruined Moathouse ala T1 to the 9-years-before, unruined version. The terrain consists of 32 12" tiles and the Moathouse sits atop that.

I handed out several cards for Basement Troll Studio at the Lake Geneva Gaming Convention - in fact, on fellow said he was going to order one immediately on getting home from the Con!

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:49 pm 

Howdy,

otherworld wrote:That's an outstanding piece of work, well done.

Any idea of the origins of the Treant figure?  Is it scratchbuilt/home-made?

Thanks.

The treant is from Reaper Minis - Mossbeard the Treeman boxed set. My friend speed-painted him between 3:15 and 4:00 AM before I left for the convention at 8:00 AM that morning. Up close it looks like he spent all day on it. He is an amazing painter - and a great friend to have when the chips are down.

That look on Gary's face when when the treant emerged to attack the heavy foot he had ordered in to cut down a battering ram was priceless. Gary innocently said, "Whoever said [the footmen] laid axe to anything?"

The Ernests react to the appearance of the treant. :lol:

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:13 am 

killjoy32 wrote:yes rob was telling me about it and what a blast it was - now having pics to see as well its amazing!

wow!

Al

I just seen this thread and read the article.  The great time had by Rob and Gary didn't stop them taking swipes at each other....  8O

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:05 pm 

Howdy,

Yes that is the sad part. This upcoming year I was hoping to get Rob, Dave, Gary, and Jeff at the Chainmail table for a revisit to one of their early scenarios played out in 1971 and described in Wargamers Newsletter.

Futures bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:54 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,

Yes that is the sad part. This upcoming year I was hoping to get Rob, Dave, Gary, and Jeff at the Chainmail table for a revisit to one of their early scenarios played out in 1971 and described in Wargamers Newsletter.

Futures bright,

Paul

It was fun to see that scenario played out, especially by most of the original people!!
One would've thought that after 35 or so years, it's time to bury the hatchet--and not in each other.  Rob, Gary--time for truce talks. (I know, that is so 3e/3.5e, but it might be better than a 1e-duel at 20 paces...).