Collector Edition Shinkwrapped
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:48 pm 

The side-seam and clumping top & bottom do seem to match other TSR shrinkwrap of that era.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:59 pm 

That box does not show typical crushing.  For instance...the corners are not split and the center does not appear crushed in.  It looks more like other items were leaning on it in a book case.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:20 pm 

ExTSR wrote:The side-seam and clumping top & bottom do seem to match other TSR shrinkwrap of that era.

Any particular date range within "that era", Frank?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:04 pm 

Not precisely. However, note the lumpy and loose shrink on modules & accessories circa 1976-79, and the tighter but still distinctive shrink (with airhole) on same c 1980-83. Those seem to be two identifiable eras.

When the volume started to go up in the '70s, TSR switched from Graphic Printing (of Lake Geneva) to brokered printing via the Patch brothers in Beloit, WI. I remember taking typed manuscripts out to a typesetter near Beloit, and she would (iirc) drop off the results to Patch.

We contracted directly with a major printer, instead of jobbing things out, somewhere around 1982-83. As one side effect, the shrink got a LOT better.

(btw, Patch Products turned into a family game manufacturer in the years since. D&D helped make them what they are.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:40 am 

My only reason that I thought it might have been re wrapped is that when I looked at the picture, it seemed that the dirt at the bottom of the photo was inside the shrink wrap and not on the outside.

But I trust the judgment of those in the know more than I trust my own judgment, so listen to them.

Previous