Introduction from Darlene
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:06 am 

Good Tidings to all.

My name is Darlene. I had it legally shortened from Darlene Pekul back in 1984 (probably why few have been able to locate me). As the result of a google search, I happened upon Arcaeum and posted in the Classified section regarding some original TSR art I recently discovered among the boxes I've been dragging with me from move to move. Mark (Mars) suggested I formally introduce myself in the part of the Acaeum forum where replies are possible.

During the late ‘70s, early ‘80s, I was a freelance artist living in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin having just received my BA degree from Beloit College (Emma Bull and Will Sheterley were classmates and friends of mine). I first met one of the TSR guys (Mike Carr) when I was working as a layout artist for the company which printed the Gen Con materials. Mike wanted to date me and I accepted. There were only a handful of employees at TSR and they worked out of an old house across from the Pizza Hut. I had a front row seat watching TSR grow into a giant.

From what I've been able to ascertain, TSR threw away most of the original art from the very early days. Such a shame, but it was theirs to throw away. The original artwork I rediscovered is from Rahasia, the first RPGA module; illustrations for The Polyhedron; some airplane pix for FITS and illustrations for "The Amber Sword of World's End" by Mike Price—all in excellent condition. I also did a lot of stuff for The Dragon, including designing their letterhead, etc… and I still have some samples of their first green one. I also have many Dragon calendars and the calligraphy/lettering work I created for them. I don't know if anyone wants this stuff, but it IS a part of RPG history. BTW--I also have my artist's copy of many of the early Dragon Magazines.

Let me also take this opportunity to thank all those who have privately responded to my first query and have welcomed me... Your suggestions are truly appreciated.

Smiles,
Darlene

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:12 am 

Hi there princess.  You're in the right place.
:wink:

I still have to email you the card list for that game of tricolor spaghetti...
However, I think I'll just send you a copy of its predecessor, Psyche Paths. I'm sure I have a spare.

::making a note::

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:14 pm 

So you're selling this stuff? How about a price list or are you going the eBay route?

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:24 pm 

Original Rahasia art? I think at least a few forum-goers just increased their risk of cardiovascular troubles ;)

Old bits of TSR memorabilia and trivial items have a very good track record of selling well on eBay, as long as us folks here know about 'em :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:34 pm 

I'm sure you'll hear more from Darlene after GenCon (late Aug/early Sept).

I anticipate having at least 1-2 originals of hers at the GenCon auction. No promises, but...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:04 pm 

Wow, this is so neat, having all these RPG luminaries hanging around! I'm fairly starstruck! :D