issues about some items of my collection...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am 

I think I'm required by law to state I'm not an attorney, if asked.  Not sure.  Anyway, I'm obviously not an attorney, or I'd know that. ;)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:10 pm 

The Holmes set is possibly earlier than 1979.  I would place it in 1977-78...which is when I bought mine, with that exact set of dice.  (The loose ones.)

Within a year, I noticed my friends turning up with dice like the ones in the bag...or with sets like the one in the bag, with no crayons.

There were also pink d20's that appeared somewhat later than the first Holmes sets...I think with the idea that they would help generate % rolls.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:51 pm 

@aia: Is that another "grey" Immortals box and did it start off that way, if so?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:28 pm 

I don't think I have ever seen a bag with two crayons inside. I have seen mixed dice, though.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:57 am 

faro wrote:@aia: Is that another "grey" Immortals box and did it start off that way, if so?

uhhh... i beg your pardon... i miss the question: what is a "grey" immortal?

@MShipley: no no... IIRC the set is 1979, but i don't remember the print info...

BTW, who's able to help me in the other question?!?!
is there anybody else who can confirm me that his box has the same of mine???

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:27 am 

aia wrote:

@MShipley: no no... IIRC the set is 1979, but i don't remember the print info...

Aia

having now had the time to look, i have THREE companion boxes that do not have TSR logos on the side, where are the other boxes do. there is a logo on the top side of the box but not one on the long side. the long side is the only difference with the other box sets.

i just figured that all of them were like that. i dont think its any biggie.

*shrugs*

*back to eating breakfast*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:28 am 

faro wrote:@aia: Is that another "grey" Immortals box and did it start off that way, if so?

David

if you remember i have  "grey"one from quite some time back. its a normal colour box but slightly faded so it looks grey. thats just imo of course.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:37 am 

killjoy32 wrote:having now had the time to look, i have THREE companion boxes that do not have TSR logos on the side, where are the other boxes do. there is a logo on the top side of the box but not one on the long side. the long side is the only difference with the other box sets.

i just figured that all of them were like that. i dont think its any biggie.

ciao killjoy! tnx a lot... so from what you told me it seems that this is a peculiarity of UK editions... i bought the green set in london and it is just like yours... but i've seen other boxes (prob US editions) with the logo on!

killjoy32 wrote:*shrugs*

*back to eating breakfast*

ouuupss...  :oops: i didn't want to bother you during your meal... pls keep on eating that wonderful spaghetti toast!  :P  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:45 am 

aia wrote:

Checking the Acaeum's own listings....

I see that my Holmes boxed set was a 4th-7th print with the wizard logo.

I suspect it was a 4th print, because I bought it in 1978 (shortly after Gladstone High School won the 1977 AA state football championship, by the way)...so I know it was fairly early in 1978.  (We drove to a store in Portland.  I remember agonizing over the $9+ price tag...would I get enough use out of it to justify the expense?)

I noticed that the sets purchased slightly later by my friends had different sets of dice inside...like the unmarked dice in the bag.

It is entirely possible that the dice sets were all a function of chance rather than time.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:25 am 

aia wrote:ciao killjoy! tnx a lot... so from what you told me it seems that this is a peculiarity of UK editions... i bought the green set in london and it is just like yours... but i've seen other boxes (prob US editions) with the logo on!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread my companion box, which I bought new in the mid 80's in the US, is also lacking the logo on one side.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:53 am 

MShipley88 wrote:It is entirely possible that the dice sets were all a function of chance rather than time.

Both, from what I can surmise.  The colored dice (with the ridiculously sharp yellow d4, etc) predated the non-colored + crayon dice, but there was likely a period of random chance where either one might be encountered.  (Personally, I've only found the colored versions in Holmes printings -- but several people have reported non-colored dice.)  Perhaps this was around the time of the "dice shortage" mentioned in the 5th printing description.  :?:

The latter survived until the BECMI era, the former died out at some point during the Holmes printings.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 pm 

Well this thread title is accurate, but fair warning: /start minutiae

I have two first print G1-2-3, with the ISBN only on the rear and one cut about a quarter inch taller than the other.  Do we consider them different printings or one printing with - call it - printer variances?

The other tallboy printings of other mods I have have other differences that clearly distinguish them, for instance C1, L1, T1, A3.  These two look identical otherwise.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachment:
g123.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm 

Answered on the site FAQ!

FAQ

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm 

Thanks Foul!

/end minutiae

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Previous