Original TSR art inquiry
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:48 pm 

Hello. I found this forum through google.

I was wondering where the best place would be to try and sell some of my original art that got published back in the day... I've also got mint condition artist copies of may early Dragons.

Thanks for any assistance you are able to render.

Smiles,
Darlene

(formerly Darlene Pekul)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:38 am 

Hello, Darlene

There have been 94 views of your post so far, but I thought I would be the first to say hello.

I am no art sales expert, but I would consider selling them carefully on Ebay, one at a time...so as not to exhaust your market...and with headings that will attract a wide range of gaming collectors.

Probably not genius ideas, but....hi.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:40 am 

Also....just occured to me....contact Frank Mentzer on this website...he goes by the name ExTSR both here and on Ebay.

Frank runs the GenCon auctions and he is always campaigning for valuable items to sell.  You might find him on the memberlist and send him a PM (private message)...unless he finds you first.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:07 am 

Darlene Artist wrote:Hello. I found this forum through google.

I was wondering where the best place would be to try and sell some of my original art that got published back in the day... I've also got mint condition artist copies of may early Dragons.

Thanks for any assistance you are able to render.

Smiles,
Darlene

(formerly Darlene Pekul)

Darlene, for what its worth, you might want to have a word with Rob Kuntz. you can mail him here: [email protected] and you can view his publishing website here: www.pied-piper-publishing.com - if you contact him, just tell him i told you to get in touch and he may well be able to do some biz with you relating to selling your art. he's currently sorting out selling art for another artist, so could be just what youre looking for?

won't cost anything to have a word :)

hope that helps...

Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:24 am 

Acaeum member TSRart is where I'd start. The user ID kind of says it all ...

Hit "member list," find his entry, then hit "PM" to send him a private message. Or, with any luck at all, he'll see this thread and jump in himself.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:23 am 

Both the Acaeum and Dragonsfoot (dragonsfoot.org) have Classified sections for posting.  You could post a notice about any eBay auctions you run, or you could arrange a private sale.

As Mark pointed out, Frank Mentzer is "ExTSR" on eBay, and he has a reputation for selling collectable/unique pieces.  The Burntwire Brothers (ummm, can't remember the Acaeum or eBay name) is another good reseller of unusual items.

The Acaeum and Dragonsfoot have members that are old-school fans and collectors as well as ex-TSR employees.  Dragonsfoot even puts out a PDF of old-school D&D material that now has articles from Len Lakofka.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:56 am 

Y'all can relax; Darlene and I go 'way back and we chatted about this just a month ago, at the LGGC.

Darlene, gimme a holler at [email protected] and we can discuss how best to approach the beasts in this particular lair.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:00 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Acaeum member TSRart is where I'd start. The user ID kind of says it all ...

Hit "member list," find his entry, then hit "PM" to send him a private message. Or, with any luck at all, he'll see this thread and jump in himself.

TSRart also has a website that specializes in fantasy art with classifieds pages and a forum:
http://www.munchkinpress.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:27 pm 

Darlene,

While scanning in my collection...still...I was reading Dragon #30. There is an ad on page 39 by a Darlene, Artist For Hire. Was this you?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:56 pm 

Marlith wrote:Dragon #30. There is an ad on page 39 by a Darlene, Artist For Hire.

That was (and is) she. :)