eBay bans sellers from using Google Checkout
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:10 pm 

About a year ago, we had a thread about what Google's planned online payment system would mean for eBay auction payments as a challenge to Paypal and here's eBay's response:

http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m07/i06/s02

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 pm 

What's funny is that Ebay allows payment in Canadian Tire money.

Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, Canadian Tire Money, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet,com, Moneybookers.com, Ozpay.biz, Payko.com, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:48 pm 

NetRodent wrote:What's funny is that Ebay allows payment in Canadian Tire money.

Sweet!  I have more of that than I do real money.  :lol:

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:23 pm 

Google should just go ahead and start Google auctions. They can do it as a free service for the first two or three years to eat away at eBay and then start charging.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:53 pm 

[quote="NetRodent"]What's funny is that Ebay allows payment in Canadian Tire money.

[/quote]

I think my stack is almost at $100 again.  Normally it goes to buy some appliance that doesn't get appropriate use.  Last time I bought an expresso machine with milk frother, time before that was the crock pot, bread maker, etc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:24 pm 

ok...sorry to be that guy but what is Canadian Tire Money?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:00 pm 

I don't know either.   :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:04 pm 

You hosers ever tried out Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire_Money

The Canadians here can vouch for the accuracy, eh?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:09 pm 

Although I cannot vouch for every detail in that Wiki entry, I am from Moncton, New Brunswick and recall the incident mentioned where an ATM dispensed Canadian Tire money. I do not recall ever seeing any reports of anybody being charged for it, but the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce would have tried to keep that whole incident as quiet as possible.  :lol:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:22 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:About a year ago, we had a thread about what Google's planned online payment system would mean for eBay auction payments as a challenge to Paypal and here's eBay's response:

http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m07/i06/s02

Seems that ebay is feeling the pressure.  They put Google Checkout onto their prohibited forms of payment list not because of the reason given, but because they're spineless and gutless and can't handle competition, especially when that competition has been proven to be faster, easier, and less expensive than Paypal.  Don't ever expect ebay to remove Google Checkout from their system.

The disclosure of Jordan's plans came the same day that another analyst, Citigroup's Mark Mahaney, cut his earnings growth estimates for eBay, based on his analysis of Google Checkout, an online payments service unveiled last week. Mahaney slashed his target price for eBay to $40 from $51.

Mahaney said he found Checkout, which has been under development for less than a year, to be faster, easier and less expensive than PayPal.

Source: Analysts: Ebay faces competitive threat

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:59 pm 

I can't see it being a big threat for a while, actually. It's US-only, which blocks a lot of potential traffic. Also, there's no protection offered other than basic fraud protection (which you'd get with your credit card anyways).

And honestly - faster? PP is as close to instant as you can get. The article didn't talk about how it was faster, so maybe they're talking about eChecks or something? The non-instant uses for PP are negligible in usage terms as far as I've ever heard and experienced.

I'm not a huge fan of PP (their customer service sucks Balor-arse), but GW doesn't look like it'll be a heavy-hitter for a while. Lower fees though.. that will sway a lot of opinions for those that can use it ;)  And if their CS is better than Paypal's, that'll add to the case for sellers using it in lieu of PP. Until they're reaching an international audience, it's moot to me anyways I s'pose.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:47 am 

Marlith wrote:Google should just go ahead and start Google auctions. They can do it as a free service for the first two or three years to eat away at eBay and then start charging.

Or just start Google auctions and advertise that there fees are only 1/3 of eBays and ice the cake with better customer service.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:49 pm 

If anyone in the world could take on eBay, it'd be Google :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:08 pm 

Llaurenela wrote:Or just start Google auctions and advertise that there fees are only 1/3 of eBays and ice the cake with better customer service.

That road is littered with gravestones already, though, most noticeably those of Amazon auctions and Yahoo! auctions.* It's been 10 years now, and eBay has soundly thrashed any and all "competitors."

+++++

*Yes, I know: technically, both of these companies still offer auction services. But both are a pathetic shell of what was originally envisioned.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:17 pm 

From what I've heard/read, it's very doubtful Google will take on eBay head-on with auctions; instead they're likely to attempt a souped-up "Craig's List" approach not taking any fees for listing or sale (thus putting the pressure on half.com and amazon's 15% cut on sale, and eBay store fees for listing and sale), using their own payment system for a cut, and their text ad network to specifically promote the listings to likely customers all over the web with various ad packages for sellers to purchase.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:33 pm 

Yeah, quite likely you're right VF. It's been Google's very successful business model thus far.