players
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:01 pm 

Hello fellow Readers

Just a question, I didn't see it any where else on the sight. who here still plays. and what version, how often, ect.
I currently play a 3.0 campain with a DM whos been playing since 79. also play 3.5 to be able to play living Greyhawk. There are 7 of us in our group with me and the DM being the oldest at 43 each. our youngest player is 19 we have two female players so its a well rounded group. the DM and me and two other players have all been playing over twenty years each. My DM also plays a LToTR campain in NY with two of our group. My DM judges at conventions across half the US. so i'm in good hands. I used to DM but haven't in a long while, but am currently working on converting a few old mods to 3.5. so tell me what you think what you play.

Thanks Fred Dias

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:07 pm 

i still play but mostly dm 1E AD&D - wont ever change from that as its a system i like and i can be as flexible as i want to.

i modify things to my own taste so even then, its a loosely-based 1E - sorta a part OD&D/1E and kinda 1.5E :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:12 pm 

I have a long-running campaign of inter-related settings.  We have moved up with the variant each step of the way.  Currently, we are on 3.5.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:37 pm 

Still playing every Saturday night!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:09 pm 

Hi Fred---

fddd5jdz wrote:Just a question, I didn't see it any where else on the sight. who here still plays. and what version, how often, ect.

I play AD&D about once a month with 10-20 folks, and am getting ready to start a new GH campaign.  That's likely to be either AD&D or 3.5, depends on how many players I get and their preferences.  I've played AD&D, 3.0, and 3.5 (I mostly prefer 3.0 to 3.5, FWIW), and a quadzillion other non-D&D systems.  

fddd5jdz wrote:I currently play a 3.0 campain with a DM whos been playing since 79. also play 3.5 to be able to play living Greyhawk.

You can never go wrong with GH :D  If you're a big GH fan, check out www.canonfire.com and I've got a bunch of useful links on my site @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_links.html

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:45 pm 

Hi Allan Grohe

I was just looking at your sight and love it. started playing on Greyhawk and have always felt at home there. started most of my players out on T1 so they have been there as well. we liked role playing as much as fighting so i started a lot of characters out on the road to homlet in just a loin cloth and a bump on the head. it's intresting to see what they do to survive.

Fred

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:17 pm 

I play a custom classless system. The only pirated thing is the d20 concept.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:48 am 

Just started an AD&D 1stEd campaign. Most everyone is new to the game and love it. First time I have played in a while. I played some back in the Navy while at sea, but that was 5-6 years ago. DM almost all the time now. We started playing 3.5 at sea, but I almost jumped overboard and killed myself, so we decided to go back to 1stEd. :)

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:40 pm 

khartsfield wrote:Just started an AD&D 1stEd campaign. Most everyone is new to the game and love it. First time I have played in a while. I played some back in the Navy while at sea, but that was 5-6 years ago. DM almost all the time now. We started playing 3.5 at sea, but I almost jumped overboard and killed myself, so we decided to go back to 1stEd. :)

Good thing you were on a submarine.   8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:52 pm 

I think it was sometime in 1999 or 2000 when I last played. It was 2nd edition. Before that it was 1990 or 1991 and that was me running 1st edition. Got into the CCG in between those times and the MMORPG games after.

Most of the people I meet now that play are using the new stuff and that does not hold any interest for me. I have even had them give me older second edition stuff as they say they can't stand it since 3.x has come out. I still play the occasional MMORPG.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:03 pm 

I wonder....

If TSR put out a 4th edition of D&D that stripped the rules way down and sold (possibly in soft cover) for about half of their current cover price, and recruited all the old artists to contribute artwork.......

Would that attract the old gamers back?

Or, is time and adulthood really the reason that some guys have not given 3.5 a real shot?

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:21 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I wonder....

If TSR put out a 4th edition of D&D that stripped the rules way down and sold (possibly in soft cover) for about half of their current cover price, and recruited all the old artists to contribute artwork.......

Or, is time and adulthood really the reason that some guys have not given 3.5 a real shot?

Mark   8)

I think there are a number of reasons many older gamers don't, won't or can't give 3.x a chance.

The first is that I think 1E is what we grew up playing. From 1st to second was not a huge change and there had not really been a break in playing for me. For that reason I did and do not mind 2nd edition. It was also basically the same as 1st edition but allowed for and glorified the power gamer I think and as a DM you can always take care of that and even use it to your benefit.

The 3.x games are radically different. I could probably even see how it is a less confining rule system. It is just that it along with the OGL has caused an explosion of the power gaming and taken it to the nth degree. I might even be inclined to play that but the gamers I meet today are so much younger than I am that we lack a common point of reference. It is sort of like the Hank song " All my gaming friends have settled down".

As to releasing a 4th edition I think that this has all but been done already with C&C and the new project from Dragonsfoot OSRIC. I have to say the C&C stuff almost feel like an old comfortable shoe when I read it. I guess we really don't need a 4E though...we have 1E we just need new material for it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:46 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:If TSR put out a 4th edition of D&D that stripped the rules way down and sold (possibly in soft cover) for about half of their current cover price, and recruited all the old artists to contribute artwork.......

No, not likely.  What would be the point?  Orange spine rulebooks are readily available on eBay, if necessary.  Beyond that, there's nothing that TSR/WotC could create that gamers can't do themselves after an average of 20+ years of playing.  If you aren't quite so creative, lots of others have published free material online.

From a marketing standpoint, the early editions are dead.  A "4th edition" emulating them would also be dead, but have the added bonus of looking like a cash grab...

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:57 pm 

Ad Script:  

(To be aired on an adult male-oriented channel, like Spike TV on a late evening time slot.)

<<A young-ish looking dad watches his young son play video games.>>

TV:

"Beep! BEEEP! Power pants! Sixty-six thousand! Awwwwrigtht!"

Narrator:

"Remember when gaming meant actually using your imagination and learning something new every week?  Remember when gaming meant fun with real friends instead of pixels and powerups?"

TV:

"Bloop!  Boing!  Heal yourself, Cootie!  Zoop!  Doink!  Dooooody ball attack!"

Narrator:

"The days of high adventure are back.  You've got the money.  You've got the time.  Why not give some old friends a call...or find new friends.  Isn't it time you stopped doing what everyone else wants or thinking what everyone else thinks?"

<<The screen flashes to a shot of the new player's handbook on a dungeon wall background>>

Narrator:

"Isn't it time you got back in the game?  You always knew you would."

<<The screen shows the young-ish dad nodding his head in agreement...looking away from the TV, toward the front door.  The vague shadow of a dragon looms on the livingroom front window.  The TV screen goes black as the son looks up in astonishment.  The ad motto appears in red at the bottom of the screen.>>

Narrator:

"The dragon has returned.  Join the adventure again."

<<Screen Copy:  The Dragon is Back and "www.dragonwar.com">>

Needs some tweeking....but it could happen.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:03 pm 

And...the new player's handbook has a leather look...sort of a throwback to the OD&D pamphlets.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:36 pm 

Sounds good Mark, much better than the dumb ads WotC put on TV a few years ago.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:35 pm 

Yup, I still play!   :D
I grew up on Basic and AD&D.  Went into an involuntary hiatus in young adulthood.  Now DMing a 3.5 game most Wednesday nights.  And it's just as fun as it ever was!

I love that commercial idea.  I think you're really onto something.  

I bet there's plenty of guys like us around that played back in the day that would love to come back to the game.  Now that they are older and their lives have settled down a bit they have the time again, but just haven't thought about it and just need a little reminder that the game is still here, still being played and is waiting for them to get their old dice out.

I've read so many stories here and at other forums about guys digging their old books out and playing with their kids.  That's really awesome.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:39 pm 

grodog wrote:Sounds good Mark, much better than the dumb ads WotC put on TV a few years ago.

Now I did like the commercials during the 2nd Dungeons & Dragons movie about if you are going to be pretending to be an elf in your basement at least you should have friends over or something like that. An attempt to get the MMORPG players back into the fold  :lol:

Next